“Excellent Tapas”

Ranked #199 of 2,089 Restaurants in Baltimore
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed November 21, 2012

A small restaurant near the Charles Theater. Good Food, Good wine, Good service, reasonable prices. All tapas we have had were excellent.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

This place is a local favorite of the hip people in town.

Positioned next to the Charles Theater (they even have a door opening into the theater).
We had a large group (6) which is not a good idea. This place is tiny! It’s better suited for groups of 4 or less. The hostess took my name and said the wait would be 30 min (it ended up being an hour and half.) Ironically enough there’s a door to the Charles Theater which stood open the entire time. There’s enough space in the Charles available to double the size of this little restaurant. With all of this space you think that they would utilize it. It would be easy enough to rope off the tables. I waited at the bar and found it to be crowded and having to constantly move out of the way of the W.C.s (AKA bathrooms). We were seated by the door and I can tell you we were cold.

I’ve been here several times the food is usually good however it can be a hit or miss depending on what you order. Honestly I can only recommend this place, if you don’t mind that the service is slow and the food is inconsistent. Some of the dishes can be fabulous and yet others are dreadful. I waited so long I just ate whatever was placed in front of me.

There is a novelty to the notation of tapas and the sharing of food can be a unique experience for some.
One positive note was the bartender was very pleasant and attentive. They have some brews and the house sangria is super.

NOTE: If you’re going here check the movie schedule at the Charles Theater. There’s a mad rush to this restaurant after the shows. Also they will not take reservations!

1  Thank Jack0906
Reviewed November 14, 2012

There were seven of us and we tried a wide variety of dishes on the menu. Aside from the Chile Rellenos, which were awful, the food is uniformly good. The tables are crowded together making for very a cozy and loud experience. Since the door to the Charles Theater was opened into the restaurant, suggesting a relationship, I found it odd that the cavernous empty lobby of the Charles was not utilized to help elevate the over crowding. Oh, well, I'm sure the cool people know more than me. The over crowding was bad enough, but the server was worse. He acted like you should be glad I'm are waiting on you. He spilled clam juice on me and did not even apologize. In the beginning we asked for separate checks which must have been just too taxing for him because at the end of the meal he produced just one bill.. All night long his attitude was "o well, it's crowed here and I'm tired" . If you like good food with a snarkey attitude, this is the place for you.

1  Thank ruth345
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Once again, I feel that it needs to be said:
This is a TAPAS restaurant. Tapas are NOT FILLING. If you are a hungry person, I recommend a food "pregame," perhaps a sandwich or something.
Tapas are meant for sharing with people over conversation and a jug of sangria (very reasonably priced here, at times... I believe the special is on Tuesdays).
That being said, the food is delicious, though not cheap, and is great for a special outing. Most people pair it with an independent film at the attached Charles Theater for an excellent evening of class.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I've been here on many occasions and have always enjoyed myself, but there are a few things you need to accept. They don't take reservations....at all. And if you go on a fri or sat night you can and will wait up to two hours for a table. Ther is always teh same couple people, with a paper and pen taking your name and the place is packed. The food is really good, I recommend at least four people and order as many different things as you can, the servings are enough for four people to have a taste...we usually order 15-20 plates for a party of 4-5. I don't drink sangria but I hear it's the best in town.