“Great Food... Friendly service”
Review of Morning Edition Cafe - CLOSED

Morning Edition Cafe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I have been to this restaurant about 10 times over the years and have never had less than excellent food. The service can be a little spotty, especially when its busy... but the food is fantastic. Don't know his name, but the owner is cooking and preparing every dish. He has absolutely mastered the art of making omlettes. He's not too shabby at making banana bread either.

During this visit, we split the seafood omelette, the buttermilk pancakes and a side of scrapple. The pancakes had a very fresh and scratch made taste to them while the seafood omelette was top-notch as always. Scrapple was perfectly crispy on the outside and the homefries were perfectly cooked and seasoned.

This place is fit for foodies and has lots to choose from on the menu. That being said, it's not fast food and I would make sure you have plenty of time to dine if you go here.

Reviewed March 2, 2011

I LOVED morning edition. Everything we got (mexican omelet, pumpkin waffle with apples) was absolutely wonderful!!! I am definitely going back soon! Note that the restaurant is only open 9-3 ish Fri-Sun. The prices are reasonable ($10/omelette, $7 waffles each w/homefries), the portions aren't gargantuan and I think I could have split 3 dishes between 2 people, especially after the long wait (probably 40 minutes once we were seated). Great food, but they definitely take their time...

Reviewed July 14, 2010

Submitted July 14, 2010

I went to the Morning Edition Café this past Sunday, arriving at about 11:30 AM. When the host found out that I had ridden my bicycle there, he offered to house it for me inside the building. WOW! I frequently ride from the I-70 park-and-ride to have breakfast/lunch somewhere in the city, and rarely do I encounter such hospitality. This was the beginning of a great experience.

The interior of this small, rustic, 10-12 table restaurant features old wood – lots of it, and enough decorations and newspapers to occupy the eyes. I was seated immediately at one of the two tables that were open. And it was quiet, blessedly quiet, with conversation being the auditory backdrop - a welcome change from most restaurants.

Before I could read the handwritten menu that was specific to today, I was served a piece of banana bread and offered a cup of Zeke’s coffee. The banana bread was soft, warm, and outstanding in its multi-level flavor and consistency. Zeke’s coffee, if you haven’t had it yet, is strong and flavorful with no bitterness in its aftertaste.

The menu was extensive, with everything you could imagine as a breakfast meal. I found the accent on the fruited choices irresistible, and I chose the berry French toast. It arrived in about ten minutes, just after my coffee was topped off. Garnished with watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, cherries on the stem, orange segments (and a tootsie pop!), the entree looked so beautifully prepared that I had to take a photo of it. (My brother and I send photos of the best foods that we either make or encounter outside of our homes to make each other jealous. This one will have the desired effect.) The browned toast array was topped generously with blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries – all fresh and each perfect. The toast pieces were hot, having been well-dipped in an egg and light seasoning mixture and fried gently. The taste combination of the berries and the toast led me to conclude that I really didn’t need the maple syrup that accompanied this dish.

My server checked on me shortly after I began, and my coffee cup was never allowed to get low. I overheard two ladies at a nearby table telling their server that they had read about this restaurant, noting unfavorable service comments. I have since found a couple of such reviews. Maybe there was slow service and preparation when these reviews were written, but I found no current evidence to support that evaluation. Maybe it’s because even the Citypaper’s review dates back to 2004. I couldn’t find any indication of inadequate service, there being three servers working the floor. The coffeepot was frequently brought from table to table, and the servers were always in sight and available when not actively offering further assistance. Appreciative of the quality of the food and the level of service, I left a 50% tip.

A final note: I asked my server to pass on my appreciation to the owner for letting me stow my bike inside. (Baltimore is second only to New York in bike thefts.) To my surprise, I was invited to the kitchen to meet him. Having been around the restaurant business for many years, I know that this is quite unusual. Introduced to me as “Brian,” he told me that he was glad to be able to extend the offer and that he hoped my brunch was satisfactory. It was, and I’ll make this a future destination.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Good-but again, the service issue.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Awesome weekend brunch place!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook