“very good food, but the ambiance and atmosphere are temporarily poor”
Review of Gertrude's

Gertrude's
Reserve with OpenTable
Gertrude's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 2,195 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N. Charles St.
Reviewed February 9, 2014

we had brunch here on the weekend, having heard that this restaurant was quite good. the seafood was very tasty - the crabcakes are made from Chesapeake crab (which are slightly sweeter), and hold up very well to a plethora of choices for sauce. the oysters were also very good. you can order "regular" brunch items, as well as sandwiches during brunch, so there is something for everyone. the service was attentive, but not intrusive. since the restaurant was half empty when we went, it would be hard to judge what service would be like if the place was buzzing. there is decent selection of wine, beer, and "brunch drinks" available.

where the place suffers is from its atmosphere and ambiance. this i would attribute to construction all around the place - the entrance makes it seem like you are entering a tent set up for someone's wedding, and there is absolutely no view of any of the sculptures around. the construction also make the place drafty. i can see where this place could be a 5 once all the construction is finished, but then a picker person could rate this place as a 3 (fine food in a rough location at high prices for a tent like atmosphere) in its current state. a rating of 4 is a good saw off.

if you wait a while until all the construction is over, i am sure that you will find a much finer restaurant than this temporary experience.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We brought my in-laws here for brunch in January during their visit to Baltimore. The setting and location (on the Hopkins main campus, inside the art museum/sculpture garden) is perfect for introducing guests to the cultural attractions available in Baltimore. The music for the brunch was quite loud, so we chose to be seated in the all-season tent outside. The service wasn't particularly personable or friendly, but it was sufficient. The food, however, was very good. My mother-in-law and I both had a creative hash dish with potatoes, eggs, and smoked fish--very good. I'd definitely recommend this for brunch, particularly for hosting visitors. (The fact that they take reservations for brunch is a huge plus).

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Gertrude's is the go-to restaurant when you want attention & good food & you can expect consistency in service & food. It's been a many decades-long tradition for me mom & I to go for brunch and for special occasions, & invite friends & family to join us. It offers consistently the same great service & food: that specially sourced crab, for example, & the unusually friendly & warm staff . "Background" live music & the combo w/ the jazz events are added treats. Reservation logistics are the best, logical, & accommodating. I will never take it for granted & wish the owners & the workers the best.Thank you.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I didn't think I needed reservation but I would recommend them. I am always willing to eat at the bar if they serve food at the bar which they do at Gertrudes. I had the Maryland Oysters and Crab Cake. The food was exquisitely prepared and the service excellent even with a full resturant. Because the main entrance to the Baltimore Museum of Art is closed you have to walk around to find the entrance to Gertrudes unless you park in the lot off of Museum Dr.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

First time, my daughter and I went here after visiting the Art Museum. We had sandwiches, salads, and desserts. Everything was very good. The location is fantastic, just a perfect conclusion of a wonderful museum tour. Second time, my husband and I went there for dinner. More sophisticated and delicious dishes and lovely ambient.