“One of my favorite restaurants”
Review of Akbar Restaurant

Akbar Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Akbar Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #266 of 2,064 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mount Vernon
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I've been here several times. The staff is always attentive and the food is great!

Reviewed March 25, 2012

the buffet was fine and the staff friendly but not the best indian in this area...the best is paradise next to the days in off 675.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Small intimate Indian restaurant with very good reasonablly priced food and excellent service. A mainstay in Mt. Vernon area of Baltimore for many years.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

I used to eat at Akbar all the time, always ordering the same thing, lamb sag, chicken tikka masala, and veggie samosa. The food and service were always above average and atmosphere quaint and charming, however after my last visit I will never go back. Both of our main dishes were floating in ghee. You could see it shimmering on top of the food and it made me so sick, I will never go again. The rice is always good and fragrant and their nan is decent but the samosas at my last visit were also too greasy. The food is too expensive for them not to get it right. For the same money go to the ambassador near johns Hopkins university or for the best go Indian delight in Catonsville. Akbar is way too fatty, greasy, and overpriced.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

The food at Akbar is consistently good. They have a variety of dishes from different areas of India, so there's something for everyone. Indian food is my favorite so I have eaten at most of the Indian restaurants in Baltimore. This is one of my favorites and, in my opinion, one of the most authentic.

The waitstaff are very helpful in suggesting new things to try and suggesting a good wine. They will adjust the spiciness of the food to suit your taste if you ask them. The interior is small but cozy and warm. I've never had to wait for a table, but the place does tend to fill up. I would make a reservation if I were a party of more than two or if you want the cozy booth in the back. The location is very good - right across from a pay parking lot - but I usually find parking on the street on a week night. There are a lot of places to go in that neighborhood if you want to have a drink after dinner. I look forward to going back. They also offer carry-out.