“Afghan Spices”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Helmand

The Helmand
Reserve with OpenTable
The Helmand is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 2,007 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Afghani
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Mount Vernon
Cross street: Monument
Description: Providing Baltimore with fine Afghan cuisine for over 23 years.
“Afghan Spices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Located in the historic part of downtown Baltimore this is a favorite for many. Only open for dinner, but always has a crowd of people patiently waiting outside. Reservations are recommend, but I have been sat before for a party of two without one. The majority of the menu is spicy. My favorites are the pumpkin dumpings, the Turkish coffee and the cardom ice cream.

Visited May 2012

Bend, Oregon
“Great Food, Fast Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is my third visit and the food and service is consistently great. I dropped in on a weeknight with a group of friends. The five of us were seated quickly. The wait staff patiently explained the various items on the menu and answered questions. There is a decent wine selection. The food was excellent. Must visit if you are in Baltimore.

• Visited January 2013
Penna
“Could be the best restaurant ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I was first introduced to the Helmand a few years ago on a business trip. I got to eat a terrific family-style meal. I returned with my family this summer, and wasn't disappointed. The culture and favors are great. This is the only Afghan restaurant I've found in my travels, but I can't imagine it can be beaten.

• Visited June 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
“Good Quality Authentic Afghan Food !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Very good food, authentic with Pashtun flavor. Not overly friendly, but that is not bad, especially for a quiet dinner with a loved one, small business gathering or just a one on one. Strongly suggest you try as much as possible on the menu and if you don't strongly suggest a return trip to try something different. Have never had a bad item on the menu all is good and authentic. A must stop if shopping at the small shops along N Charles St. Would call ahead and make a reservation, small inside and fills up quickly.

• Visited December 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
“great food and great atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

somehow this restaurant is always packed but the service is still pretty fast. wait staff helpful and will explain dishes (contents, spice meter, etc) fairly well. and prices are reasonable too! only downside is it always REALLY loud! I was with 4 other family members and we all found it hard to hear each other. I know like I said it's busy but I have been in other busy restaurants and we heard each other just fine - not sure if it's acoustics or what. Oh, side note, supposedly this restaurant is owned by Hamid Karzai's brother - I guess it's the good brother.

Visited September 2012