“Old school looks with upscale eats”
Review of Henninger's Tavern

Henninger's Tavern
Ranked #238 of 2,195 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Henningers has been around a while but hasn'tmsised a beat. It has great old Baltimore prints on the wall and definitely wasn't decorated by a designer. But the food is excellent New American. Our best dish at our most recent visit was a Cioppino-type seafood dish with an abudance of clams, shrimp and other excellent seafood. Everything we have had there is great. I like the casual appearance of the place. Upscale food in a casual setting is the best!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We had a wonderful dinner last night at Henninger's. Eclectic decor, with many photos and posters and art work - a mini-Haussner's for the Fells Point crowd. Don't miss the fried oyster appetizer with the pernod and fennel. Wakes up your taste buds. Also enjoyed the Texas BBQ shrimp. We all picked pork chops on the servers recommendation - and they did not disappoint. Great mashed potatoes too. Excellent service. And you could hear each other talking! Keep this on your list of Baltimore faves.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I recommend it to all my buddies looking to take out their significant others. They all thank me later. Cool setting, good food and good service. Cozy and inviting atmosphere.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Henningers is really a local tavern. I can only hold 30 or so diners, maybe a few more. And the staff isn't the chummiest in the world. But the food is really good--the chef is superb--and the place itself is an absolute hoot, with tons of intriguing photos/art on the walls. We love it.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We wanted a small intimate restaurant where the four of us -- two couples -- could hear each other talk. What a perfect find Henninger's was! It's in Inner Harbor's Little Italy, so it's a bit difficult to find a parking place. We opted to take a cab from the other side of Inner Harbor. It cost $7 plus tip.

You enter the tavern thru the bar section, which is lively in its own right. The restaurant is on the other side of a full wall, so it's quiet and has only about 10 tables. Reservations are not accepted. We arrived about 6pm, and had no wait, but the tables were all full by the time we left.

The menu is not extensive -- a dozen or so entrees -- but they are so varied that there's at least two things for everyone, from seafood to cornish hen to steak. I got 2 appetizers which I do sometimes, and they were both excellent -- mussels and a crabcake. Plenty for dinner. I must add that the mussels were the best I've ever had. They were very tender and the sauce was tasty but not overly salty, which seems to be a common mistake elsewhere. Prices were quite reasonable. The four of us decided that this is one of the best restaurants in the Baltimore area.

SInce my husband does not drink wine, he ordered the Czech beer Pilsner Urquek, which is on tap.

The tavern is owned by a husband and wife team (she does all the cooking -- kudos to her!). They've owned Henninger's for 20 years or so and inherited the vast conglomeration of pix on the walls. What fun to look at them.