“Multicourse mania!”

Charleston Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Charleston Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 2,048 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Cross street: Exeter Street (in the Thomson Prometric Building)
Transit: Next to Harbor East Marina, close to water taxi stops.
San Francisco, California
“Multicourse mania!”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The program at Charleston is that you choose three, five or seven of the 16 or so offerings. To my mind, this is a really civilized way to let the diner mix and match a rich variety of flavors. My wife and I chose three items each, for a total of six different courses. The real stars of the night were the Turbot with Foie Gras & Brioche Stuffing, and the pan roasted Hudson Valley Foie Gras. These dishes alone would have made for a fine meal. The wine list is a thing a beauty. We downed a 2003 Tardieu-Laurent Cote Rotie that was just superb. Service is very good but fell off a bit towards the end of the evening. Would love to return.

• Visited August 2012

NYC
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Our enjoyment was tempered by our pretentious waiter. We're from New York City and know high end restaurants; this was grating. It unfortunately detracted from Cindy Wolf's terrific food and their willingness to accomodate any wish to substitute courses, etc. Our waiter, who also never introduced himself, mostly ignored me, the woman, when discussing wine and showing labels -- always an particular annoyance to me.

That said, the lobster bisque, corn chowder, squab and nectarine gallette were excellent. We thought the sea food less successful, though the butter poached lobster in the bisque was perfection. The candy tray at the end had jellies that were wonderful (very hard to do) as were the crunchy chocolate nibs. We got the wine pairing which was very well chosen, though some portions too precisely short of a half glass.

Visited August 2012
Greenville, South Carolina
“Expensive - but worth it”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I both had the four course dinners with wine pairings. Actually it was five courses if you count dessert. Very good portion sizes considering they were "tasting portions". Food quality was excellent. Wines ranged from good to excellent in my opinion. Service was very professional and courteous but not stuffy. My only (minor) complaint is that the coffee was only so-so. At a restaurant of this quality and price I would expect the coffee to be more than ordinary. However, that's my only complaint.

Visited August 2012
New Park, PA
“Good not great for a lot of money”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Good food, nothing more, except it is Baltimore which has some of the worst food I've ever had and people here don't seem to know good food when they get it. Try Woodberry Kitchen for really excellent food but often haughty service and the noise is deafening.

• Visited July 2012
Frederick, Maryland, United States
“Amazing food!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Charleston Restaurant is a classy, beautiful restaurant that has food that speaks for itself. Also, their wine list is one of the best and most extensive wine lists in Baltimore. The waiter that I had was exceptional, but the chef seemed slightly snobby... I guess you have to be to make such amazing food!

1 Thank Caitlin E