“Good 'non-chain' Restaurant”

Ranked #10 of 2,089 Restaurants in Baltimore
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2013

When traveling, it's nice to visit restaurants you wouldn't generally find in your hometown.
Miss Shirley's has some really great food. We went there on a Saturday for brunch. The wait was about 15 minutes. Place is really crowded and tables are on top of each other-that combined is evidence of a good restaurant.Food came out fresh and promptly. My hubby had a salmon sandwhich which was HUGE but very tasty. I had an entree which included grits(Baltimore style-not grits/water i'm used to), eggs, sausage and potatoes.
Restaurant was clean and waiters were very friendly.
Definitely would visit again.

1  Thank quiet515

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Miss Shirley’s Café was an interesting experience for me and my wife. We arrived without any reservations and were told that it would be about a 20 minute wait. We were promptly given a small device and advised that it would notify us when our table was ready. After 15 minutes we were beeped, paged, buzzed or whatever it’s called these days. They seated us outside, which much to our chagrin later on, we accepted. Upon our initial seating, it was sunny and the winds were still, however later, as we were finishing our lunch, the sun changed positions, causing us to be in shade. As almost on cue, the winds picked up and it became cold, quickly. We felt like we can’t exactly blame Miss Shirley for that, that’s just bad luck.

Onto the food, we ordered the Hog wild that’s how we roll, the Cinnamon roll French toast, and the breakfast trio. I really enjoyed the Hog wild, however I think the fried pickles are unnecessary, due to the coleslaw already crowning the sandwich, also I really enjoyed the mango bbq sauce. I’m a bit disappointed by the breakfast trio. There are three sandwiches, one is an apple wood smoked bacon and egg sandwich, another is a pulled pork and egg sandwich and the third sandwich is a goat cheese, spinach, and roasted red pepper sandwich with eggs. The first two sandwiches are boring, and sad, the third sandwich, the goat cheese and spinach, that’s the one. If I ever come back here, I’m going to request three of those, instead of the bacon and pork. Trust me, try it, dare to hate it. And lastly the cinnamon roll French toast, I have nothing but good words and praise for this. It’s sweet, but not cloyingly so, we made sure to eat our bites with the butter and syrup that’s included, giving it a very desirable sweet and salty taste.

I’ve heard of people claiming they’ve waited an hour to eat here, I’m not sure those claims are valid; they have a TON of tables inside and out. We dined here on a Saturday at lunch time and only waited 20 minutes.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

While visiting Baltimore this weekend with a girlfriend we stumbled on this amazing brunch place and we ate there two mornings. We were intimidated by the crowd waiting to be seated but we were seated in 15 min or less both mornings. First day we had the Maryland crab cake, fried green tomato eggs Benedict and coconut cream stuffed French toast. One word .. Amazing! We shared our dishes and it was perfect combo of savory and sweet. This morning we both had the avocado fried green tomato, egg and bacon sand which .. Delish! The specialty drinks were yummy too... I liked the one with grapefruit and vodka.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

This restaurant was recommended for breakfast by a local that we stopped on the street. When we arrived there was quite a crowd waiting outside so we almost didn't stay. We were so glad that we did!

It was the best breakfast I ever had. I had the mini Belgian waffle berry sampler. This was 4 mini waffles each made & topped with a different berry. They were delicious. Another person in our party had the cinnamon roll French toast.

The service wasn't great especially after receiving our food but I would go back in a minute & highly recommend trying it.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We went for breakfast on a Sunday morning. It looks like you need to get there early because there was a line when we left. We had the breakfast sliders and they were good. My iced tea was very nice with a big mint spring as garnish.

Been to Miss Shirley's Cafe? Share your experiences!