“Miss Shirley - not worth the hype”

Miss Shirley's Cafe
Ranked #12 of 2,079 Restaurants in Baltimore
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Many people have raved about Miss Shirley so I was excited about visiting for brunch. First impression was the hostess Yana - she never looked up to great us at the hostess stand and she was chewing gum the entire time.

We were told it would be a 25 minute wait but it only took about 15 minutes before we were seated.

Our server was Julian and he came by after a few minutes. I ordered a Miss Shirley Mimosa and coffee. My husband wasn't sure what he wanted to drink so we asked that he get my drinks. About 15 minutes later, Julian returned with water - but not my beverages - and then took my husbands drink order. About 5 minutes later, he returned for our food orders....still no drinks. After another 5 minutes we both received our mimosas and I had to ask for coffee again.

I had the summer harvest egg white omelet with hashbrowns and turkey sausage. All of the items were good. There poppy seed biscuit was extremely dry and flavorless. My husband had blueberry pancakes and the southwestern omelet. He liked all of his food (except the biscuit), as evidenced by his clean plates! Julian did stop by once during our meal but I had to ask the manager for a coffee refill since Julian was no where to be found at that time.

Overall, the food was good. The service was subpar and that's my biggest pet peeve. So, I probably wouldn't go because I would expect better service when paying $15 for an omelet.

BaltimoreJen, Public Relations Manager at Miss Shirley's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for dining with us and sharing your feedback. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your meals, but disappointed that you did not experience the excellent customer service that we pride ourselves on offering to our guests. Unfriendly greetings and inattentive service are not acceptable, and this is not typical of our team. We hope you will accept our most sincere apology for the negative experience, and should you choose to dine with us again we would like to make it up to you. Again, thank you for sharing your experience so that we may look into the matter further, as we’re always grateful to hear how we may improve.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We went for brunch here when visiting Baltimore recently and had read about how good the place was so decided to go. It certainly didn't disappoint.

There was a long line of people outside so we expect a long wait, we were told to wait 30 mins but we got buzzed 10-15 mins in. They have a very elaborate menu with lots of options and decent looking veggie options. The place is known for its grit and crab cakes so that is what we ordered along with french toast on the kids menu. My fav was the french toast to be honest, but the grits and crab cake were delicious too. They were very heavy so the more you ate the less you liked them if you know what I mean. I quit while I was ahead. All in all a good place.

We got a seat in the lobby, right outside the restaurant so in terms of the ambiance it wasn't great and it was super busy at 11 on a Sunday morning. But I guess if you get a seat outdoors in the summer or in the main seating area ambiance would be much better. If you are in the area I would recommend eating there at least once.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Great breakfast/Lunch place and worth the lines, however many of their offerings are very sweet. The bagel sandwich was great. Service was fair to poor as it was slow and they forgot to cook one of our dishes.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The food is always terrific at Miss Shirley's. The service can be slow, even on the less busy days. I would suggest going during the week because the weekends can get crazy.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Grits and biscuits here are amazing. Pancakes and french toast were very good. So many delicious-sounding things on the menu it was hard to decide! We arrived at 9AM on a Sunday and had no wait, which was a nice surprise. The outdoor seating area is nice.

This place looks like it is used to being busy - we were told no substitutions and they seemed very methodical and orderly in the seating and managing tables. Our server did not smile the whole time we were there and seemed to be bothered whenever anyone asked him anything. Not so much angry or rude, but not much personality either.

Our server told us he would send someone over to adjust our umbrella and he never did. The biscuits are supposed to come with some sort of local jam and did not. When I asked about it he brought plain butter and pre-packaged jelly. Worst, there were two of us and they brought the order for one for one of us well before the other. Since we were outside, my food was ice-cold before I began eating it. I know certain foods take longer than others, but I'd rahter mine sit under the heatlamp in the kitchen that cooling on my table.

Still, the food was so good that I even enjoyed it cold. There seemed to be a manager walking around checking on everything - this place could be perfect if it was a little more personal and a little less robotic.