“Best Food EVER”

Ranked #24 of 2,202 Restaurants in Baltimore
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We went here for lunch before leaving Baltimore. It was our last stop and wow...it was a meal that I am still thinking about days later. We waited maybe 15 minutes for a table. Both of my kids got their crazy box breakfasts - one got the waffles the other french toast. The kids loved it - every bite eaten. My husband got the Hot Brown sandwich - and he allowed me (almost thought he wouldn't! lol!) he allowed me a bite. Delicious. Wanted a second bite...but didn't want to push my luck. Besides...then I would have to give him more than one bite of mine - which was not an option. I got the Southern Slammer sandwich - fried egg, avocado, fried green tomato, slice of cheese, and smoked bacon on fresh and hefty pumpernickle bread. omg....best breakfast sandwich ever. the flavors just sort of blended together and were happy. I washed it down with one of their bloody marys - which was like a salad on the side with lemon and lime wedges, celery, red pepper slice, yellow pepper slice, a peppadew, pickled okra and green tomato slice. genius. that's what this place is. The only negative was our waitress who seemed not to really care - or maybe too frazzled. She didn't even tell us specials. We found out the specials when another waitress told the table near us - after we were already served. Don't care - it was amazing. I'll take a waitress who doesn't care - just for that amazing food. Wished I lived in Baltimore.

BaltimoreJen, Public Relations Manager at Miss Shirley's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience! We’re so glad that you enjoyed the food and we hope that you’ll come back for a visit to dine with us again! We are disappointed to hear that your service did not match the quality of the food. We pride ourselves on our customer service and it is not typical of our team to overlook sharing any specials. Thank you for providing feedback as it helps to keep our team on track!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

After all the good reviews, i insisted that my family try this place. We waited about 40 minutes for breakfast and was then seated by a waitress to the isolated room off to the side. My kids kept asking why were we sitting there. Not a big deal since we had 3 kids with us and maybe the hostess didnt want us disturbing others (even though the main area was noisy.) We sat down and when I opened my table setting, I saw little hard crumbs stuck on the napkin. Again no big deal, I removed the napkin and set the silverware down. I saw that the silverware hadnt been cleaned. There was crusty chocolate leftovers all around the fork and some crusty looking leftovers all around the knife. I told the waitress who gave me another setting but no apologies.

The food was creative but was not amazing. I had the Shirley's affair with Oscar, which was supposed to be award winning. It was good but I've had better before. At $25 for this dish, it was not as good as I expected it to be. my husband had the chicken and waffles. The combination was innovative but the food was average. . The chicken was a bit dry. My teen daughter had 2eggs with bacon, hash browns and biscuit. She ate half the bacon, hash browns and the biscuit but the eggs were untouched. My 6 year old ordered the waffles and eggs from the children's menu. Again, the eggs were untouched and she ate 1 of the waffles. My toddler ate off of our plates.
My husband thought that I wanted to try the crab cakes since we were in Maryland. He ordered a crab cake for me even though I declined it. The waitress brought it out and it was just too greasy and lukewarm. There was a good chuck of crab but too oily. I had to force myself to eat some because my husband ordered it for me and I did not want him to feel bad. I almost threw up from the greasy feeling.

Incidentally, all of our food came out lukewarm, not hot.

Service was terrible. My husband ordered coffee. The waitress did not check on us once to see if he wanted a refill.

Lastly, when we were initially seated, the waitress gave us one set of crayons for my 2 little ones. needless to say, they were fighting for it but eventually shared. When we were almost done with our meal, a waitress came with a second set of crayons.
Needless to say, they both wanted the new set. I proceeded to go the front hostess area with one daughter and asked the hostess if we can have another set of crayons. She looked at me like I was crazy but eventually gave me one. Come on, we just had breakfast totaling $107 for 2 adults and a teen and 1 kids meal. Can I have service with a smile at least?

Restaurant was overrated and overpriced.

1  Thank Foodtraveler123

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We aim to exceed our guests’ expectations and we regret that this was not the case with your visit. We hope that you’ll give us the opportunity to make it up to you. Can you contact us at info@MissShirleysInnerHarbor.com so we can discuss your experience? Again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were told that we would only have a 45 minute wait, but our wait was over an hour. The food was great and the service was quick. I ordered the cinnamon roll french toast, which is more like cinnamon rolls served with butter and syrup. My husband had the Maryland omelet with crab and cheese, which was delicious, but the biscuit it came with was clearly Bisquick and the hash browns were a bit salty. The menu is pretty extensive!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

You can't get a bad dish here. My husband got the "Shirley's affair with Oscar", I got a custom three egg omelette, and our son had the french toast. Presentation was unique and creative, with the french toast coming in a bento box. The flavor was out of this world, though. Don't miss the best breakfast in Baltimore, and find time to visit Miss Shirley!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I loved this place! the food was amazing and even though we waited for an hour I would do it again just for a taste of their food. We ordered the monkey bread, the coconut stuffed french toast, the fried chicken and waffles, and the fried green tomato and egg sandwich, with bacon grits and if I had right then I would have died happy;) totally an amazing experience!