“Unbelievable. Sushi. ”

Yama Sushi Bar
Ranked #315 of 2,238 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed August 7, 2017 via mobile

I visit this place probably once - maybe twice- a week. I have been to some of the highest rated Japanese places in DC and even Japan itself...I love sushi. Yama is not only affordable but offers quality sushi at an unbelievable price. The lunchbox special is served everyday from 11 am to 2:30 pm except for Sunday, and it's less than $9 for two sushi rolls, a miso soup, two dumplings, sushi rice and a Japanese salad. The quality of fish and service is beyond what you pay for. This place does not overload rolls with heavy sauce or toppings (although if you like this you can definitely request it), but embraces its quality of the fish and Japanese culture. If you truly like real sushi, you will not be disappointed with Yama.

Reviewed April 15, 2017

This is one of those strip mall restaurants that turns out to be way better than you think it will be. The sushi was really fresh. Service was friendly. We were in and out in a flash (which is what we wanted). Will definitely be hitting this place up a lot.

Reviewed March 29, 2017

I normally go to the Yama down in Annapolis which is close to home but recently was up in Hampden and decided to pop in for lunch. First, they brought out the cucumber salad. We really enjoy that it is both sweet and spicy and loved that it seemed to have a little more punch in the spice. The wife doesn't enjoy the fish like I do so she gets the Yaki Soba. The slender pieces of chicken can easily be overcooked but they were perfectly tender with the noodles and vegetables. Hot and fresh, doesn't get better.

I go for the rolls. Personal favorites are the All-Star, a shrimp tempura with asparagus all in a green wrapper with spicy tuna, panko, green onions and eel sauce on top. I love the flavor combinations and texture of crunch in this roll. I also am a fan of the Alaska roll which has fresh salmon with avocado. Those were the ones I ordered at this location. The staff was nice enough to provide us with a Salad roll on the house. A wonderful surprise! Especially considering the prices are not expensive here. I really enjoyed the Salad roll and am wondering why I don't order it more down in Annapolis.

Last, but not least, we were given 4 small cheesecake squares for dessert. Even though we were pretty full, we were able to put them away with a smile on our faces. The service was very attentive and friendly.

We couldn't have had a more pleasant and enjoyable lunch this day.

Reviewed February 1, 2017

Great sushi at reasonable prices. The staff is friendly and the food is delicious. I am sort of hoping no one reads this since I love that most people don't know this place even exists. It is in a strip mall, and is completely unassuming from the outside. A row of booths and a few tables, but the food is great. Last time i was there they brought us a free roll with some wild name. No idea what was in it, but my goodness it was delicious. Don't just try the traditional stuff. Branch out. Get a crazy roll. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed October 7, 2016

Nice sushi bar were you can eat very good sushi, but also other things such as teriyaki, noodles, tempura etc.
The location is not the best, but good price and good food make this local a good place where to do a break from work.
In average it's possible to eat enough with 20$