“Up and Coming- watch for this one”
Review of Creme - CLOSED

Creme
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Centre Street
Reviewed October 13, 2013

There is nothing more pleasurable to see a restaurant in it's early days trying hard with a winning formula. This is in a lovely historical building in Mount Vernon. Comfort food, southern style, with a modern twist- but not the pretentious, odd ingredient recipes that so many new restaurants feel they need to do. Notable dishes- risotto with shrimp (very creamy with skewered perfectly cooked shrimp), mushrooms (seasonal and delicious), SHRIMP WITH GRITS (get this one for sure!), meat and potatoes (fall off the bone meat with scalloped yams). Excellent drinks from the bartender mixologist. Dessert- coconut cake- OMG!
The best part- service. Hostess and Leo our waiter- friendly and earnest. However, the best part- Ezra, chef/owner- came to the table to meet us, ask our feedback. He is handsome, personable, has a winning smile. I love a place where the owner takes such pride and seriousness in his business. This place does things well.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I saw plenty of decent reviews for Creme, and so I was curious and wanted to check it out. Bad idea...

Food was okay, not great, not terrible. Shrimp Risotto was decent. The shrimp was done well, but the risotto... not so much. The Bourbon and Teriyaki Glazed Salmon was nothing to write home about. The salmon was hard and the jasmine rice was too mushy. However, the Meat & Potatoes dish was good. The beef was tender and the sweet potato was great. Dessert was good. I was a fan of the coconut cake. I don't usually like coconut, but this cake was able to pull it off. Oh, and by the way, I read that Creme's complimentary bread was delicious. However, I was never given any.

Now, what really turned me off was the extremely slowwwww service. I can't really blame my server, because it seems that he was the only server in the whole restaurant. He was definitely working hard, but Creme seemed severely understaffed. It was a Saturday night. How do you only have one wait staff? I can't be wasting 3 hours of my time eating dinner, when the eating part only takes 10 minutes.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went with a group of friends. We literally ordered everything on the menu so everyone could have a taste. Food was deeee-lish! Service was good. Add on unlimited mimosas for $14 .

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I can't say how very much we appreciated the cooperative and welcoming attitude of the gentlemen who run this restaurant--we reserved a table for twelve family members to celebrate my daughter's graduation from Johns Hopkins, and they willingly had set up a long table in front of their beautiful mantle as I had requested. They had a vegan entree ready for one of our guests, and were genuinely willing to do anything to help us enjoy our celebration. The service was not fast, but we did not care since we were enjoying each others' company. The entrees and desserts were very good. Drinks were expensive but good. We enjoyed ourselves tremendously and practically felt as though we had a private room for our party! Also, the decor of the restaurant is lovely!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were downtown near the Walters Art Museum and thought we'd try out Creme, especially as it had a Trip Advisor recommendation sticker on the door. The interior is quite dark, but we asked for, and were given, a table near a lamp, so not entirely obscure. I ordered the Jumbo Lump Crabcakes and my husband ordered the chicken. Service was slow, but eventually we were given glasses of water, and about 15 minutes later some small corn muffins. Finally the food arrived. Two quite small cakes. Jumbo lumps? No discernible crab at all--or rather, there were a few cm-sized shreds, but certainly not lumps, jumbo or otherwise. There was also no crab taste--just a mushy, bready, filling with some wimpy spices. At least the salad on the side was fairly good. My husband's chicken was dry but all right--rather average, with some average, not well seasoned vegetables and some average jasmine rice. Nothing at all worth going for.