“Still a work in progress--but great food”
Review of Pabu - CLOSED

Pabu
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: The Charm City Circulator has a stop for the Orange and Green lines located 1 block away from the restaurant entrance.
Description: In the cool, casual tradition of Japanese pubs, or izakayas, PABU offers sushi, robata and small-plate menus complemented by more than 100 premium sake selections and a wide variety of wines, cocktails and Asian beers. Kick back in the lounge with sake hand-picked by the restaurant's master sommelier or savor fresh sushi infused with local ingredients beneath the dining room's bamboo ceilings ~ located adjacent to Four Seasons Hotel Baltimore in the city's lively Harbor East neighborhood.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have now been to Pabu several times with steadily improving service.

The food is primarily a small bites concept as well as available sushi/sashimi (which is excellent)..so sharing is strongly encouraged. The restaurant likes to guide you with colds first and hots following but of course it is up to you. But there is a wide range of selections, many of which are not available elsewhere which makes for a fun evening of sampling.

The restaurant has a really selection of sake...which many Americans dont know much about..but feel free to ask for guidance here if you like as sake types are as complex as wine. But we've had some great sake there and for the most part rationally priced.

They offer free valet parking and its part of the Baltimore 4 Seasons complex.

Our only complaint has been the unevenness of the wait staff which sometimes is really great and other times can be a bit amateurish. But it is getting better and the service staff is finally getting worthy of the type of restaurant Pabu is.

Crowd is usually energetic harbor east crowd...

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We have visited this restaurant after full day work. We were all tired an very hungry, so we didn't want to spend the time by looking for best food. We just went to the bench and asked to give us best they can offer on a sushi menu.

The best you can do ... We were treated like kings and everything was amazing. When I gave compliment for the freshness of the food, chef said that we have selected best day, as they get fresh deliveries on Thursdays and Tuesdays and we picked Tuesday.

The only negative things was other service. The guy who was serving us drinks was constantly coming and asking us for any additional wishes. Even so that he was standing next to us waiting to stop talking, which was really unpleasant. So few times we have been forced to stop our discussion just to get rid of a guy...

Well this restaurant will see more of me. Definitely every time I will be in Baltimore.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Does Baltimore need another small plate style restaurant? I was proven wrong and became an immediate fan of Pabu. Being Japanese food makes it more interesting and a delight to your senses. We dined mid-week, thinking we can have the chefs to ourselves; but the restaurant became lively after 7 pm. We ordered several plates of the cold, hot, and robata dishes. Our unanimous favorite dishes: happy spoon (oyster was fresh and light), crab okonomiyaki (pancake style with egg on top was fantastic), chicken meatball (I can eat this all day), foie gras (nicely grilled and tender), and grilled octopus. Two dishes that did not impress me were the fried chicken skin which just tasted like grease and the slightly tough pork shumai. Get the dessert omakase.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I tried a variety of tapa-esque starters with my friends. Just wanted to try the food and we really wasn't disappointed. The restaurant is intimate (we sat at the bar) and we could hold a conversation without raising our voices.

Great atmosphere.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

A sushi place with EXCELLENT sushi served at the perfect temperature. The drinks were inventive and absolutely delish. We had the roasted endamame, japanese wings and japanese skewers-chicken and skirt steak for appetizers. All were very good, the skewers were fantastic and very flavorful. I did not need to add a single drop of salt/pepper etc... everything was perfectly seasoned and cooked. The chicken wings were tasty, but I'd skip them next time. The sushi and poke were the next "tapas" we had. They were a good size for a small plate and just the some of the best we had. Ken roll wasn't my favorite but my husband loved it.
The service was excellent... with so many small plates multiples waitstaff worked to keep our table clear, the food coming at a reasonable pace, and glasses filled with water. I also had the green hot tea, which was perfectly brewed and rather flavorful. I also had the ginger beer inspired drink from the bar...and it was FANTASTIC. My husband had the roasted banana infused whiskey. While this was rather expensive drink upwards of $20, my ginger drink was around $10 and both were just the best that we both have ever had. We finished with the dessert tasting menu...sesame ice cream, early grey bon bon, honey panna cotta, and infused sponge cake, while VERY tiny were also VERY good. We'd return and enjoyed our first visit very much...Happy Anniversary dinner to us...now we're off to Croatia!!!