“Open late at night”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 15, 2013

A standard joint for burgers and seafood. It was good enough. It is a cavernous place and they have a system that you need to flip a sign if you want attention, a little bit gimmicky, but harmless.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

As I'm sure you all know, there is a character in the film Forrest Gump called Bubba, and after he is killed in the Vietnam war his friend Bubba decides to follow Bubba's dream and set up a shrimping business. This restaurant chain ties in with the film and is full of Forrest Gump memorabilia and merchandise. I was looking forward to going there as I had heard so much about it, really enjoyed the Forrest Gump film and also love seafood, but when I mentioned it to a colleague in my company's Baltimore office, she was very disparaging and dismissed the restaurant as tacky. There is no denying that is the case, but if you are in the right mood for it, it's great fun. Each table has a "run, Forrest, run" sign which you leave on display if everything is fine, but you can change it to "stop, Forrest, stop" if you want your waiter to stop at your table!

The service was very good; I ordered a strawberry and mango lemonade and my boyfriend ordered a plain lemonade; the waiter brought his drink and at the same time brought me a glass of water as he said my drink would take a few minutes to make, which was thoughtful, but I'd barely sipped the water when my drink came. It tasted absolutely delicious but was quite expensive- $8.99- but you get to keep your glass. I got a plastic tumbler branded with the Bubba Gump logo and the words "Mama says I'm special" - there are three different quotes from the film to collect. And the glass lights up and flashes! There is a button on the bottom to turn it off if it gets too distracting, but I thought it was great fun.

While we were waiting for our food to arrive, the waiter came back and asked if we were in the mood for a Forrest Gump quiz, and asked us questions from the film, all of which we got right. Only the last question stumped us a little - what was the number on Forrest's football jersey? Then I realised the waiter was wearing a football jersey with the number 44 so I hazarded a guess, and it was right! I know not everyone would appreciate a pop quiz from the waiter but it was quite novel and we enjoyed it.

I ordered the Shrimper's Heaven, which at just under $22 was about twice the price of my boyfriend's burger, but it was excellent. I was presented with a red metal stand holding four cones - one had fries and the other three had different types of shrimp: breaded coconut shrimp, chilli shrimp, deep-fried shrimp and Japanese style tempura shrimp, accompanied by three dips. It was really filling and very good.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I wanted to visit this place ever since seeing Forest Gump. I really liked being on the waterfront. My shrimp/andouille sausage kebab was quite good and our server was very friendly.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I liked the atmosphere of the place, but the food was awful. I got a pound of snow crab legs and what was delivered was over cooked and looked very under weight. Our server DJ was excellent and made the bad experience a good one.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

A bit confusing to get in to, the entrance from Harbor Place didn't have a hostess stand, had to walk up behind the stand at the door leading to the harbor.

Even though it was late on a Friday night, the workers were pleasant, and put in effort that was more than I expect from chain eateries. Management also stopped by the table at one point to see how we were doing, so they definitely have the service end of things down.

The food was mediocre, it satisfied the fact that we were hungry, and some of it was actually pretty tasty - the Coconut Shrimp was seriously tasty. I got the Shrimper's Heaven, which looks great on the menu but was a bit depressing in reality. The Tempura Shrimp wasn't good at all, and the fried shrimp was basic. The actual amount of shrimp you get is underwhelming - you get a dozen or so small cold shrimp, and then a dozen or so total of Tempura, Coconut and regular Fried. And some sad fries. For the price, they I'm sure they could increase the portion size and still be running profit. The Better Half got the Accidental Fish and Shrimp, which was rather average, but filling.

We both had drinks - I had a Loose Cannon, and big thumbs up for having local craft on tap - and she got some fruity specialty drink, of which they have dozens. Both drinks were fairly priced, given the location.

In the end, our bellies weren't as full as our check thought they were, which was a bit irritating, but all in all, it was an average, inoffensive experience. While we wouldn't go out of our way to eat there again, and there are certainly better places to eat in and around the Harbor, it is just fine for a quick, no-reservation meal and would be a winner for families with children in tow.