“A Good Hotel, But a Serious Oops!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
“A Good Hotel, But a Serious Oops!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

This is a nice urban hotel, which grew from a former life as a 1906 bank building (The bank's name still appears in stone above the side door that was once the bank's front door. Many interior design and decorative elements reflect the building's past. The remodeling to a hotel resulted in a typically classy Hampton Inn with a unique flair.
The curbside valet service is a nice feature, speeding your arrival and check-in. While my wife and I had no need to test the valet's claim, he assured us that our vehicle would be available whenever we wanted, 24 hours a day.
Desk clerks were uniformly pleasant, helpful, efficient and professional. The location is great for a visit to the Baltimore Inner Harbor (2 blocks away - far enough that you are away from the crowds and noise to make for quiet nights), as well as Federal Hill, Fell's Point and Canton. Basically, anyplace on the Water Taxi routes is potentially within 10 minutes walk and up to 20 minutes on the water. The free, hot breakfast offered by the hotel is average, but welcome. However we had one issue with our stay, which was the reason I couldn't see giving this place an "Excellent". As a frequent business traveler and patron of Hamptom Inns with "Diamond Status", my wife is accustomed to getting one of the best accommodations in any given Hampton Inn. We got what, by Hampton standards was a relatively tiny room with a view across an alley to an abandoned building. The desk clerk's only explanation/excuse was that the hotel was 100% booked and the room we got was all that was available. Sorry guys, but the reservation was made more than three months in advance, and you knew my wife was a preferred customer. We were left with the impression that a non-preferred customer got a better room than we got, simply because they checked in earlier than us. I've worked in the hospitality industry, and I know the hotel could have and should have done better. The room was "OK", and we aren't exceptionally picky, but we expect to get what the hotel's preferred customer program implies we should expect. Frankly , I had to think a lot about whether to rate the hotel an "Average" for this stay, or to rate them higher based on other considerations.

Room Tip: Try to specify that you want a room facing East Redwood St. or South Calvert St.
3 Thank HowlnBubba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

The accommodations were comfortable and the suite was spacious. The breakfast provided a good variety to please everyone in my party.
Although parking accommodations were very limited we were able to get our vehicle without a hassle.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 1marge
Long Island City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Spouse and I have stayed at this property in the past, and it is a good choice for a weekend visit to Inner Harbor area. Close enough to walk safely to aquarium, etc. Those in the know warn against wandering too far from tourist area, especially in evening. Building used to be bank/office space so public areas are interesting. Not generic. We were able to check in before noon. Nice after brief flight from JFK.

Room is perfectly decent. However, my body wasn't happy with the mattress. It felt fine, but lying on my side caused by hip to ache. (Age, I'm sure. Mine, not the mattress.) Also, Hampton Inns use these towels which have '100% cotton loops' but they are on a polyester matrix. I can always tell. They do not absorb as well as a true 100% cotton towel. Also, these were a bit dingy and need some time in a bleach solution to whiten them up.

Water was hot. Drains run fine. Plumbing is reasonably quiet. However, like all Hampton Inns, the shower head with its multiple spray choices is so high up that I, at 5'3" am unable to reach it to adjust. One new feature is the replacement of those tiny amenity containers of shampoo, etc., with gym club/spa dispensers on the wall. Much better. Even better would have been if those dispensers were on the same wall as the shower, rather than being opposite. As it is now, it may be fine if taking a shower, not convenient if soaking in the tub. I solved that problem by squirting some product into a paper cup.

Room had flat screen television set, microwave, and fridge. Fridge is especially nice as it was really hot, and hotel has all-day coffee and tea. Nice to make iced coffee in room. All in all, decent. Visitors should be aware that parking is at a premium in Inner Harbor area. This property seems to be all valet. Pricey. Other, near-by hotels charge as much as $28 for self park, $40 for valet. These are NYC prices!

Room Tip: Perhaps a room farther from elevator would minimize sounds of noisy guests returning in high spirits...
2 Thank mbeth1403
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

Hotel does not have their own lot. They have valet and it cost 32 dollars a day. My car came in with no dents, but I've received my car with a dent above my driver side rear wheel. They must have hit a pillar parking. I am waiting for a response from the valet company. They say they will have to ask the parking lot for tapes so they need time so they can review it to find the culprit. Only time can tell if they are going to do the right thing and pay for the damages.

1 Thank Lchuc
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

The location, to begin with is very convenient, all major attractions being located at a walkable distance. They have valet parking and the doorman who parked our car was very helpful and pleasant. There is a parking garage too down the road if you would like to park it yourself. The rooms though not huge are very neat and comfy. we didnt have a good view, but we hardy got time to spend in the room. Breakfast was average. they have an atm in the lobby. overall nice experience.I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Niesha R
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I am in Balt every few weeks, I travel a lot for business. My fiance was with me on this particular trip. The internet wifi in the rooms was HORRIBLE, so he went to the business center to use the computer there instead. First of all, the staff was in and out of there printing personal items, using one of the computers constantly. Then, the manager, Ryan, starts harrassing my fiance, asking who he is, what room is he in, and WHY IS HE IN THE BUSINESS CENTER. is that Ryans business, to ask a guest why he is using a computer which is there for guest use? All while his staff is screwing around in there all day long? Then he asked when my fiance was checking out of the hotel. Now, we were booked there all week imagine how we felt after this snotty manager is harrassing us. We wont be back, and my company no longer recommneds this location in their travel booking website.

Room Tip: avoid the manager. take a cab, parking is 30 bucks a day!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Melody B
North Liberty, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Rooms were clean and nice but kind of dated and on the small side. Getting ready in the morning was hot and steamy as there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom. They served a continental breakfast which was nice in the morning. When we booked the room they didn't mention that it was valet only parking for $32.00 so that was an extra charge we hadn't planned on. Probably would not stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: If a view matters I would request it. We didn't mention it and had one brick wall from one wind...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family