“Premier party”

The Senator Theatre
Ranked #69 of 226 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, The Senator opened on October 5th, 1939 as a single screen movie house. It is a historic Art-Deco movie theatre designed by John J. Zink. The Senator reopened on Thursday, October 10th, 2013 with 4 screens, including the restored and renovated original auditorium.
Wash DC
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Premier party”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

We attended a movie here that one of our friends had a personal connection to the story. We had dinner at the crepe place across the street and saw the show. The theater is big, the seating generous. It's kind if half renovated, no stadium seating, minuscule concessions -which isn't a ding as far as I'm concerned. We parked nearby. All in all it was a fun place.

Visited October 2013

baltimore, MD
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“what's the big deal?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

The Senator has been a Baltimore icon, but frankly the architecture is undistinguished and the theater cannot compare to some of the grand theaters from the 1930s and 40s that have sadly been demolished. The only saving grace of this place is its age, but it was never a beauty.

1 Thank howdyweiss47
Forest Hill, Maryland
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“MOVIES MEMORIES”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

I can remember great films I saw here, Star Wars, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Top Gun, a few Gene Wilder films and, of course, Barry Levinson's. My memory escapes me, however, always chose this spot if it was a special movie. Not sure of what they show now.

1 Thank Sue4452
Baltimore, Maryland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Old style”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

I have a thing for old theaters and find it sad that they aren't as revered as the new ones. This one almost was closed a few years ago and I'm glad that it didn't. We enjoy movies here and will always choose here over the new places.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank raeumlich
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome historic venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Beautiful old fashioned movie theater (the mens lounge is way groovy) with nice BIG screen. The main downside is that seats are pretty historic as well-anything over 2 hours and my back is not happy.

Visited August 2011