“Over rated and Overpriced”
Review of Inner Harbor

Spirit of Baltimore Dinner Cruise with Buffet
Ranked #12 of 226 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of America's oldest seaports dating from the 1600s is today an important landmark and popular tourist destination. Park your car and follow the brick promenade through this bustling complex of eateries, stores, museums, entertainment and children's attractions. Sample the fresh seafood right out of Chesapeake Bay.
New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Over rated and Overpriced”
Reviewed July 20, 2006

This hotel is nice but definately not worth $330 a night. If you don't do room service, eat at the restaurant hotels and use the hotel ammenties, don't stay here. You will over pay. I requested a room over looking the harbor. They failed to mention that you are actually across the street from the harbor. The view was nice but it was not over the harbor as I expected. We planned to experience the harbor so we didn't use the restaurants, etc. I aksed for extra towels adn by the time I got them, me and my quest were out of the shower adn dressed for the day. I expected the hotel to be beautiful but it ws decorated average. PLAIN. Nice view of the street THEN the harbor. Connected to the shops which was nice but just not what I was looking for at all. The Bellhops were too busy tp help me with my bag and I called to get my car at checkout but still had to wait 20 minutes. Just not worth the $$$.

7 Thank Blk007

Amherst, NH
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Overrated”
Reviewed July 1, 2006

We just returned from visiting Baltimore's Inner Harbor for 3 days. This was our first visit to Baltimore and we were quite excited to arrive since we'd always heard so much about it. However, I have to say by the time we departed, we were very disappointed. It certainly was nothing like we expected. First of all, the whole Inner Harbor area was MUCH smaller than what we expected. I had heard the "shopping was great, lots of shops". We visited the entire area, including all the Inner Harbor malls, and found them to be nothing special whatsoever including the shops across the street at the connecting Renaissance Hotel. The shops were exactly the same ones you see in any mall. The restaurants were also the same way - exactly what we find in other towns - like Cheesecake Factory, etc. Many of the shops were touristy (Baltimore t-shirts, etc) and prices were high. We did not buy a thing, which is very unlike me! Also, the parking fees all around the area are outrageous. We had to pay $18 to park in the afternoon across from the Acquarium (for 4 hours of parking!), then when we went to our hotel, we had to pay another $27 + tax to park overnight at the hotel! So in ONE day we spent almost $50 on parking fees in this city. (at our hotel, the parking came to over $30 per day including the tax) These fees are ridiculous and they are robbing the tourists blind. We came to Baltimore from a week's vacation in Washington DC and we never had to pay fees like that in Washington! The only thing we truly enjoyed at the Inner Harbor was the boat ride. Go down to the water and there are numerous boat rides you can take and enjoy. We wish we had done the "water taxi" ($8 per adult and its good all day long, can take you all over!) - but we were leaving when we discovered it after 3 days. We did enjoy the Duck Boat Ride (land and water) which was about an hour and 1/2 long ... very entertaining and enjoyable ... especially if you have kids! Another disappointment we experienced was their very popular Acquarium. Again, we had often heard how "great" the Baltimore Acquairum was. We found it to be okay, but on a scale of 1 to 10, we would give it a 3. It was MUCH smaller inside than we expected. The exhibits were very small and extremely crowded, so much so, that often you could not see anything! You had to repeatedly stand and wait a long time at each one just to be able to see - and this is difficult for children. It was not worth this hassle at all! We have been to the Boston, MA Acquarium (known as the New England Acquarium) and found it much, much better and much larger than this one in Baltimore! Also, in all honesty, none of these Acquariums compare to the SeaWorld theme parks. If you really want to visit a true acquarium, visit SeaWorld in San Diego, CA, Orlando, FL or San Antonio, TX or Ohio - nothing compares. SeaWorld knows how to do it right, and even with major crowds, its a very comfortable place to view marine life. At SeaWorld you can physically touch and feel the sting rays and dolphins. At the Baltimore Acquarium, you can only "view" them and not get near them. All in all, I'm glad we visited the Inner Harbor/Baltimore to see it one time, but we have no plans to return ... and in fact, we would not recommend the trip to anyone either. It was very expensive to stay there (hotels in the $200+ range per night around the Inner Harbor area), plus with the insane parking fees of $50 for a day, it is just NOT worth the trip at all. I would say save your money and visit another area that is truly what it advertises - like go to Orlando and visit Sea World! Its much cheaper to stay in Orlando (major hotels in Lake Buena Vista or along International Drive near the theme parks with very competitive prices), you don't have parking fees at Orlando hotels (and even at the theme parks, parking is minimal: $7 for the entire day), and there will be much more entertaining things to do with your family - plus Orlando has many upscale new malls and 100% better shopping than Baltimore. If you visit Baltimore's Inner Harbor, be prepared to shell out the $$$ and don't expect alot of anything - there really wasn't much to see. Very overrated and its nothing more than a "tourist trap" in my opinion. Almost a waste of time. Stay on Interstate 95 and go somewhere else instead - like Washington, DC - where everything was free to do - Washington is outstanding!

39 Thank Hesser2010
Aurora, IL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great place to hang out & kill time”
Reviewed April 3, 2006

Although this was my first visit to Baltimore, I understand the city put a lot of work and capital into gentrifying the I.H. area, which I'm told used to be a scuzzy dive.

Today, however, the place couldn't more inoffensive, with people walking dogs, shopping, eating, and checking out area historical-fun sites (i.e. Constellation, Ft, McHenry, Aquarium, et al). The harbor is also a great place to kill time before a flight home.

Better here than a soul-sucking terminal, I figure.

6 Thank indigo1968
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Waterfront Delight!”
Reviewed January 9, 2006

O.K., I realize the Inner Harbor area is probably the most "touristy" area in Baltimore, but it definitely is worth a visit!

Spend an afternoon strolling through the Baltimore National Aquarium, observe the stunning skyline from atop the World Trade Center, and walk through the many unique shops found inside the Gallery Mall.

Grab a beer at Hooters and enjoy the outdoor balcony that overlooks the Harbor, or try one of the many signature brews at the Capital City Brewing Company, which boasts equally great views.

Chow down at any of of the many waterfront restaurants, and when you've had your fill of the Inner Harbor, hop aboard the local Water Taxi and enjoy the peaceful cruise which will take you to Fells Point, yet another shopping and restaurant hot spot.

A visit to Baltimore wouldn't be complete without a trip to the Inner Harbor. Come see why so many of us are proud to call Baltimore home.

18 Thank Jabberjenn
Guayaquil, Ecuador
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Visitor Center Inner Harbor”
Reviewed November 8, 2005

On vacations in Baltimore - October 24, 2005

I wanted to do some especific things in Baltimore so I went to the Visitors Center at the Inner Harbor. First time in and I was gladly impresed. Nice people to usher my requests. I got all my information plus a desiere to know more about how nice Baltimore and its people are.