“A Pleasant Surprise on Charles St.”
Review of Lumbini

Lumbini
Ranked #211 of 2,089 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Nepali
Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a dinner downtown on a rainy Sunday afternoon when we came across Lumbibi. The space in beautiful: tall ceilings, morals. We are vegetarians, so we asked the waitress to bring us the four best vegetarian appetizers. Everything was a little spicy, but not overwhelmingly so. Alas, no beer, so I had a mango lassi. Good food, good service. They have a large lunch buffet.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Four of us arrived on a rainy Sunday night at about 7PM. The restaurant had a few tables filled when we arrived. We walked in and were not met at the door...we had to find someone to seat us. The atmoshere is not bad I would call it comfortable. Our server was very nice and helpful. She easily explained any questions we had about the menu. We order a whole Tandoori Chicken, Vindaloo Lamb, Lamb Korma, Saag Paneer and Mixed Vegetables. Let me talk about the prices here. The LEAST expensive thing on the menu is a $6.95 app and the main courses range from 13.95 (small veg curry) to a whopping $75 for a 3 course thali. Meat course range from $18 up. Although the food was good it was by no means worth the price the portions were small. They only saving grace is that they do not have a liquor permit so you can BYOB. I order the Lamb Vindaloo and asked if it was hot and the server assured me that it was....it wasn't ! I don't know why they have to dumb down the dishes even after the customer requests it hot. This is very aggrivating.

They also have a very irritating habit of adding 18% to your bill as a tip and then don't have the courtesy to inform you that it is there.It's not on the menu and the server certainly don't point this out when they bring you the bill...it's not anywhere! I am sure that many people don't check the bill and then tip on top of that. This apparently - based on other reviews - is done to all customers regardless of the size of the party.

Overall there are many better priced Indian Restaurants to be found...some in the same area!

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I visited from out of town (Philadelphia area) after visiting the aquarium. This is 1 of the best restaurants at which I have eaten. The food was very good and the service was very good as well. The Aloo Tama Soup was excellent, as was the Hydrabadi Chicken. Though the prices were a bit higher than I usually like to pay, it was still well worth the price. It is also centrally located at 322 North Charles St. I would definitely recommend a visit if you are ever in the Baltimore area.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We had chicken tikka masala and a dal-saag-tarkari special as a pre-concert dinner. The tikka masalr was good with a nice tandoor flavor to the chicken. The sauce was not quite as rich as a typical Indian restaurant. The lentil and spinach dish was outstanding. Lumbini seems to have the most extensive Nepalese menu in the area -- more items than I remember at Kumari up the street or Katmandu in Towson . When we return, we'll focus on these dishes rather than the Indian. Lumbini is BYOB.

The decor is not especially inviting -- black being the predominate color. Service was attentive.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I got the Hyderabadi Lamb and the Kashmiri Naan, and really liked both. The servers were extremely friendly without making us feel the least bit uncomfortable about being the only customers there. They offered to bring us more rice even before we ran out, and without our having to ask, which I always appreciate. When we asked for our food to be boxed up, they gave us even more rice to take home with us! So while the prices might be a little high for it to be an everyday restaurant, I was able to get two full meals out of my order, which cuts the price in half. I'll definitely come back.

Been to Lumbini? Share your experiences!