“Over Priced, Mediocre Service, Small Portions”
Review of Phillips Seafood

Phillips Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Phillips Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #114 of 2,195 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pratt & Market Streets
Description: Classic Casual Dining: Phillips' new Baltimore location is an exciting and easy blend of vintage and modern, with a nod to the longstanding tradition of Phillips restaurants. Phillips at the Power Plant sits directly on the water, just a few steps away from the old Light Street Pavilion location, in the iconic renovated Power Plant industrial building. The innovative redesign of the interior by Carl Myers and Marcie DeLaRosa shows off gleaming, rich woods and jewel toned stained glass fixtures, distressed finishes and antiqued mirrors juxtaposed with a modern, open kitchen.
Reviewed April 4, 2014

The location is great and the outside dining on the inner harbor was very nice. Unfortunately, the food is average, service not very friendly, and way over priced. I had the Harper's Island crab cakes which comes with two diminutive size crab cakes, mixed vegetables and roasted potatoes for $34. I was shocked when it did not include a dinner salad of some type. The taste of the food was fine but no better than a Red Lobster or some chain. Considering the service, portion size, and overall quality the price should not exceed $20. When I return to Baltimore I will not make a second trip to Phillips Seafood.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,357)

Reviewed March 29, 2014

A group of us at the conference we were attending decided to be tourists and try Phillips. A very large restaurant that seems to be incredibly popular. It doesn't hurt that it is located in the Inner Harbor. The food was fine, but nothing spectacular. The chowder was good and the fried fish platter I had was tasty, but WAY too much food for one. My two dining companions felt the same with their dishes. I normally do not have dessert, but the choices on the dessert platter they brought to the table was too good to pass up. The three of us split the Berger Cookie Pie. Yum.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

We were in Baltimore for two nights. My husband had a conference at the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront hotel. I originally chose a new restaurant which touted local flavors. It was further from the waterfront and had rave reviews on TripAdvisor. We decided, after exploring the area around our hotel, we would eat at Phillip's instead as it said "since 1956" on the marquee and we thought it was a local established restaurant (like eating at the old Bookbinders in Philadelphia or Jimmy's on the waterfront in Boston both of which I remember as a southern child traveling "up north."). I easily made a reservation about two hours before we desired to eat at Open Table and then we walked the scenic though short walk from our hotel. Overall, we had a good meal and excellent beer. All of our seafood dishes were cooked perfectly. Oddly, no one in our party enjoyed the asparagus and we are all asparagus lovers. The desserts were great and huge. We ordered Key Lime pie and Berger Pie. My only disappointment is that we wanted to eat somewhere that was a Baltimore original and this did not fit the bill...other than that we had a fabulous time.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I went with my family because it was walking distance from hotel. 2 dropped trays with one having food that hit my kid. They were apologetic but that's it. I was expensing the meal but they should have offered something more than club soda! Food was OK, but I think it was more of a tourist restaurant. The food was not as greasy as another restaurant we dined at the prior night. The maryland vegetable crab soup actually has beef so beware if you don't eat beef. Long wait, so make a reservation. Kids colored a picture to put on facebook as requested on the kids menu but they were out of tattoos after picture was posted. Kids were disappointed. Glad to try it but won't return. Too pricey, tourist, and poor customer service.

PhillipsSeafood, Owner at Phillips Seafood, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Good morning. We're so sorry to hear about some of the issues you experienced during your visit to Phillips. With such a bustling location, sometimes accidents can happen, but it's disappointing to hear that not one but two trays were dropped in the restaurant during your time with us. While we're glad to hear that the staff apologized and provided club soda to help manage any stains, we wish we could've handled this more to your satisfaction.

We're sorry that we had run out of the crab tattoos during your visit-- we've re-stocked the location and would love to get some out in the mail for your children. Please email us at smc@phillipsfoods.com with your address and we'll get a fun little crabby package out in the mail today!

Due to our location right in the middle of all the action, including being located right next to Baltimore's top tourist attraction, we are lucky to attract visitors from all areas of the country. We are a family-owned restaurant and feel blessed that we have the opportunity to host many touring families during their short visits to Baltimore. Hopefully you did not have to wait too long to be seated-- and thank you for giving out the advice on making the reservations for future visitors! These can be easily made online, or by calling the restaurant directly.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Great location, comfortable vibe, and great crab cakes and crab balls. Staff were incredibly friendly and music in the bar was tons of fun. While a chain and a bit touristy I will definitely go back as the Bloody Mary and crab cakes are some of the best I ever had.