“Dissappointed after reading these reviews”
Review of The Olive Room - CLOSED

The Olive Room
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Northern Virginia
“Dissappointed after reading these reviews”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife and I ate here on a Friday night at 7:30pm. Only one other couple with a small child were there. There was one waiter and one Maitre D (doubled as a waiter and bus boy.) They had a full bar, but when my wife ordered a martini she was told they didnt have a bartender, and maybe wine would be better!

Anyway, I had reveiwed the menu prior to arrival and as a Greek Restaurant, was looking forward to some Leg of Lamb. Not! They were out of Leg of Lamb (a staple of most Greek Restaurants!) They obviously forgot to order it for the weekend as there was no one in the place that could have already eaten it. Thats like Fudruckers being out of hambergers! Anyway the greek salads were really fresh but dressing was tasteless.

We both ordered the slouvaki (sp?) which was one skewer each of beef, pork, lamb and chicken. The Chicken was overcooked and dry. The other three meats were tough and all tasted the same. The salad on the plate was fresh and the Teraziki (sp?) was delightful and full of flavor.

Our waiter was a nice young guy, very plesant, but didnt bother to refil our water once, in spite of the place being empty.

When we left, there were a few more tables occupied, but still pretty empty for a Friday night. Bottom line, great teraziki. Not much else to say for it.

• Visited April 2013

Columbia, MD
“Strangely empty (not a bad thing), amazing food and service”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Last Saturday night my husband took me to the Olive Room for the first time. When we arrived we were alone other than a couple at the bar. Usually I would assume this meant the food wasn't good and we were prepared for an unpleasant meal. However, the exact opposite is true, we had an amazing meal, so I'm not sure what is at work here.
We sat at a table facing the beautiful view of the harbor, watched the sunset, drank nice wine from their very good wine list and the service was really amazing. And the food was wonderful. I would highly recommend the lamb burger which blew our socks off. But everything that came out of the kitchen was super delicious.
I hope that more people discover this gem, because while we enjoyed being pampered by the staff, you can't keep a place running at near empty for long, and I want to be able to go back for another lamb burger!

• Visited April 2013
Philadelphia
“A too well kept secret that deserves a wider fan base”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for a drink one Saturday evening on a weekend trip to Fell's Point and were delightfully surprised. We sat at the bar, which gave us a spectacular view of Baltimore Harbor and the sunset. What we didn't realized when we walked in off the street was the restaurant is a short elevator ride up to the fifth floor. There is a little gourmet market on the first floor so we were a little confused. The host who greeted us warmly when we entered quickly clarified and had a colleague escort us up, where we were again greeted warmly by the engaging bartender. The food is Mediterranean--Greek--and we went with a grilled lobster and sharp cheese appetizer with home made pita. The flavors were a wonderful combination of strong and subtle that blended in a beautifully complex way that did not overwhelm. We drank a lively prosecco that stood up quite well to the food. One interesting thing--the bar stocks all organic liquor and boasts standard spirits as well as beer, wine, and Greek specialties. We are looking forward to a return trip in warmer weather so we can sit outside on their terrace and have a relaxing dinner watching the sun set over the harbor.

“Amazing experience.”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

What an amazing night. Valentines day was my husband's birthday and wanted to surprise him with the rooftop dinning. Our food and wine was just worth it all, my husband is allergic to garlic so we made it clear to out waitress who had no problem letting the chef know. Over all we are definitely going back since we have friends visiting next week. I strongly recommend this place.

Timonium, Maryland
“FORGET THIS PLACE”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband called the Olive Room and made a reservation for Sunday brunch for February 10, 2013. The gentleman(443-681-636) confirmed our 12:30 reservation, told us to park at the garage next door and that the brunch menu was ala carte, no longer a buffet. Upon our arrival a young man greeted us at the front door (he worked at the 1st floor deli) and told us the restaurant was not open. We told him we had a reservation; rode the elevator to the 5th floor, only to discover the young man was right! The doors were not locked to the restaurant but no one in sight. How embarrasing this was for us as we had in our company a very dear friend, recently widowed. We had bragged about the wonderful reviews on- line, Baltimore Magazine and the website for the restaurant. Baltimore Magazine still lists Sunday brunch as does the website. Supposedly the same owners of this restaurant are also associated with the Black Olive on Bond Street. After this incident I would never call or recommend this restaurant or the Black Olive, nor would I recommend the hotel. If this is the way they run a restaurant I would not want to waste my money on the hotel! Find another place to eat as the restaurant owners like to play games with their customers.

Visited February 2013