“This may be the worst restaurant I've ever been to.”
Review of The Olive Room - CLOSED

The Olive Room
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2012

You will be surrounded by ineptitude from the minute you walk in the door. No one greets you when you enter, so you may wonder if you're in the right place. You will be seated, but will probably wait 30-45 minutes for someone to take your drink order. Don't expect the waiter to know anything about what's on the menu. And definitely don't expect your water glass to be filled. You couldn't pay me to go back to The Olive Room.

1  Thank MKH527
There are newer reviews for The Olive Room

Reviewed September 8, 2012

On the Saturday night we visited the restaurant, they were very short staffed. While we had to wait longer than we would have liked for drinks and our food, when the food arrived, it was an outstanding Greek meal. The waiter gave great recommendations for both the wine and food. Even though he was very busy, he did not rush us in any way. We will return again the next time we are in Baltimore.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were in town for the Grand Prix. We wanted to find a place we could take a water taxi to. A couple other restaurants were booked, so we had the hotel we were staying in make a reservation at what we thought was The Black Olive.

Well, when we got there, we found out it was the wrong one. Our reservations were at The Olive Room - just above The Black Olive Inn. Not to worry because it was just around the corner.

Visions of a bad experience waiting to happen in a dive diner of an "Inn" danced through my mind and needless to say, I wasn't happy about what we were about to get ourselves into. Upon arriving at the "Inn", we were greeted and shuttled up the elevator to the restaurant. With only a handful of tables and a small bar, It was simple, but elegant. However, I was still quite skeptical. Looking out the all glass windows, I was pleased to see the glimmer of lights of the Inner Harbor! I don't know how you'd find a better spot for viewing! Things were starting to look up.

Our waiter, who was also the bartender, greeted us warmly, and took our drink orders. The Proverbial "It's all Greek to me" became real after reading the menu. We had to Google several of the items on the menu to see what they were. A few other tables were occupied, and only one waiter and he was also the bartender, we knew we shouldn't be in a hurry. Between the six of us, some ordered beer, others ordered wine, so no "mixing" was needed as we hoped it wouldn't take long to get our drinks.

It did take a few minutes, but with the first drink, we were well satisfied. We continued to Google and look over the menu and tried to be ready when our waiter came. He was very literate and answered all of our questions.

I'm a meat eater, but didn't really want something that heavy as I had my fill of pork bbq earlier. So, I ordered the Greek Eggplant, don't remember the name, but I remember the taste and flavor. It was topped with Roasted Tomatoes and olive oil. All of my skepticism melted away with each bite. It was fabulous and the best eggplant I've had anywhere! My wife had the kleftiko and just loved it. Another friend ordered something safe - the Pork Chop and said it was the best he'd ever had. The rest of our party had similar experiences with how much flavor was in each bite of the dishes they ordered.

I would have never picked this restaurant on purpose! Sometimes our stumbling and misunderstandings go wrong, but this one turned into Gold. Hands down, the best restaurant experience I've had in Baltimore. If you want something other than the chains and other "popular" choices, Take a walk off the beaten path and be ready for a dining experience you won't soon forget.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Our friends who live in Fells Point took us to this place when we expressed an interest in Greek food. The hostess was nice enough to hold our table when a monsoon storm came up and delayed us getting to the restaurant. Even on a saturday night there was plenty of on street parking, as well as several parking garages. Additionally it a short walk from the Inner Harbor.There is a boutique coffee shop market underneath the restaurant, and pleasant smell of coffee and spices accompany you up the elevator to the roof top. You look out over the harbor and it's a great view.

It's not a large restaurant and the restaurant was fairly busy. As can be expected on a Saturday night the staff was especially busy. Our waitress was great at moving things along with her pleasant smile. Her wine suggestions were good.

The food was excellent. My wife and I had the fresh fish of the day which was a dusted Rock Fish. Cooked perfectly. Definitely get the potatoes as they had a unique sweet taste. The meal comes with a salad, so get yourself an appetizer. We had the grilled calamari and an assortment of Greek dips. The bread was warm and very good.

No room for dessert, but maybe next time.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We were staying at the Inn of the Black Olive. We chose to have our first dinner in Baltimore at the Olive Room. The food and service truly exceeded our expectations.