“Neat Place to Meet”

Cross street: Howard and 27th Street
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Neat Place to Meet”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This restaurant is not in the main stream of touristy areas but is worth the visit uptown. Parking is on the street but on a Saturday night we did not have any problem parking within a block. Several of our friends/family require a "gluten free" diet. While many restaurants tout gluten free, the choices are invariably limited and one wonders how well they handle cross contamination in the kitchen. No worries at Meet 27--Everything is gluten free but you would never know it by the quality of the food and variety presented. During the last visit the group had the chicken kebabs, steak and salmon--all with various sides including sweet potato fries. No complaints--just raves-- by any of the diners--all were more than satisfied by the presentation, quality and quantity. The place is a bit eclectic--but that adds to the charm. There is no liquor license but they welcome BYOB wine and beer (the only product allowed in with gluten) and they will serve it for a modest corking charge. The atmosphere is welcoming, the staff effeicient and friendly and the menu prices were reasonable. We lingered for a while after we were done just to talk and never had the feeling that we were being rushed out.
This is the first restaurant in a while where we were able to order dessert knowing that all were gluten-free. The carrot cake was fantastic--these folks operate the gluten-free bakery down the street. We will be back to Meet 27

• Visited February 2013

Baltimore, MD
“Go”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I just got back from an excellent meal at Meet 27, and I hope people will patronize this place and keep it in business. I lived in the neighborhood for seven years and watched this location fail as a number of other restaurants (which, admittedly, I never went to). I don't know how much they had to renovate, but the interior is pleasant, with nice wooden tables. The food was terrific (and the portions were huge). I guess the place is gluten-free -- I have to say, I couldn't care less about gluten. I had pork vindaloo, which was very spicy, but the waiter made a point of warning me about that, which I appreciated. It was also delicious. Another person in our party had the chicken skewers and loved it. The appetizers were great, too -- we had some pekora-like things, and they were better than at, say, the Ambassador, in my opinion, and cheaper. And the restaurant is BYOB, which is a huge selling point for me. I know they'll make more money if they ever get a license, but right now, this place is a wonderful deal. I'm planning to go back asap. Oh, and I read the other reviews on here complaining about service. All I can say is what I experienced, but I have no complaints at all. Service was prompt and pleasant. They weren't that busy, so maybe it gets worse on weekends, but I thought the whole experience was first-rate.

• Visited February 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Almost there”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

First off, it's worth noting that the Sweet Sin people have two businesses on the same street. They have a Bakery/Cafe now called Sweet 27 and they have this nice South Asian Fusion gluten free restaurant called Meet 27.

If you go on a weekend, you should make a reservation because this restaurant is popular with young and old alike, especially in the 6:30-7:30 PM range.

The food is good, and some of it can be pretty spicy. It's all gluten free. The portions are ample. I ate too much, but my wife and daughter were smart enough to bring the extra home. One item to avoid is the empanada. It bears no resemblance to anything Argentine. I had the pork chop, and it was fabulous.

To date, they have no liquor license. As for parking, you're on your own. It seemed like most people walked.

They really try to be good with the service, but when they brought out the entrees two minutes after we got our appetizers, they lost my vote.

Yet, to me, they're almost there--almost ready to be one of those places that survives and becomes an institution.

• Visited January 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Unexpectedly fantastic”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

It's an unassuming corner bar-type joint that doesn't scream pretentious.

My husband and I dined here for a low-key, gluten-free dinner. Our meal did not disappoint.

We started with the sweet potato fries, which I have dreamed about since that night. They are coated in chick pea batter and fried, served with mango-peach ketchup and chipotle ketchup.

We also had the batata vada and vegetable fritters. These were delicious as well. By the time our entrees came, we were both stuffed!

My husband had the fish and I had chicken skewers. The meals were delicious. We took the leftovers home and they heated well the next day.

Also, service was great. We were there on a Tuesday, so the restaurant was quiet. That was especially nice since I don't like people. Ha.

Anyway, we were warmly greeted when we arrived and checked on throughout our meal. Drinks were refilled at a good frequency.

All around, it was a great experience. I'm so glad there's somewhere we can dine locally that's GF AND delicious!

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Jen K
Westminster, Maryland
“Inviting neighborhood restaurant”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My family had a wonderful meal at Meet 27. None of the carnivores or vegetarians had any complaints about the gluten-free menu, and everyone was satisfied with their dinner choices. Prices were reasonable, service was fine, BYOB is always nice. With 2 adult kids living in Baltimore, I think Meet 27 will become a "go to" restaurant.

• Visited September 2012