“Nice Baltimore Option”

Baltimore, Maryland
“Nice Baltimore Option”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

One night stay.
Booked the Charm City package via a FSPP ..
it included:
- Two spa treatments in a private spa suite (up to a value of USD 145 per treatment)
- Chocolate amenity at turndown
- Coffee and pastries at LAMILL COFFEE
- Overnight parking for one vehicle
- Luxurious accommodations
Plus the FSPP benefits of:
- Daily full American breakfast for two people per bedroom, served through In-Room Dining or in the hotel restaurant (including buffets)
- Spa credit of USD100 once during stay (not applicable to products)
- Upgrade of one category, based on availability at time of check-in (excluding signature suites and villas)

I booked a water view room. The package price was $200 more than just the room alone, which by itself was a good value. Combined with the FSPP benefits it's amazing....

Pre-arrival
I booked the spa treatments about a month in advance. I chose 80 minutes treatments for each of us; and was assured that I would be charged the difference. The day before arrival I hadn't received a phone call so around 8 PM I called to confirm (really I had forgotten the time) the appointment.

Arrival
Swift arrival via I 83. Kind of a nice staycation requiring only 20 minutes of travel. Car deposited with valet; assistance offered and declined with our bag. We arrived early (about 1230; because we had 1 PM treatments) and our room was ready. Upgrade to Premier water view room, a three level upgrade. There was some initial confusion from the desk about both the package and the FSPP benefits but that was quickly rectified. I did mention that I am allergic to something in the L'occitane products and they offered Bvlgari as an alternative. I wonder if there is someway to slip that into my profile...

Room
The premier water view room is on the corner of the building. Lots and lots of glass. We were on the 5th floor; which I believe is the first floor of rooms. I think that I was a little disappointed with the view.. it was nice, but not terribly expansive given how low down we were. We were directly located over the pool area. It was a nice room but I guess I was a little disappointed. Most of the premier rooms at FS seem to be a little bit more spacious, but I found the layout kind of awkward, making the room feel smaller. I missed having a couch/seating area that does seem to be present water view room. I guess the room doesn't feel terribly open. The bed was extremely comfortable, as to be expected. The bathroom was what I expect from a FS. No real wow factor but definitely quite nice. Now to nit pick a bit but I would have liked to seen motorized drapes for the windows.. there were a lot of windows and a lot of drapes and some sort of automatic way to control them would have been nice (not that I'm lazy; it's just I expected them at a FS). It was nice having a Nespresso machine but I would have expected espresso cups as well. Finally, the dark wood in the entry area did appear to have taken a little abuse and was a bit scuffed. All that being said, it's really just nit picky but I did quite enjoy the room. I think if the pool terrace had been in use though, I would have preferred to be a good bit further up.....

Spa
I think that this the crown jewel of the hotel. One of the best spas I've been to in the USA. It definitely has that urban retreat feel to it. My deep tissue massage treatment itself was pretty nice, though I am spoiled by having a massage therapist I see regularly every 2 weeks. There are two other areas: the heat experience room and the relaxation room. The heat experience room contains a heated tile loungers, hydrotherapy tub area, sauna, steam room, and shower experience. Quite quite nice and relaxing. The relaxation area is a room with some nice loungers with nice blankets (I believe that they had the same blankets at the FS Westlake). Comfy. Again to nit pick, but I would have at least loved to see some coed options, perhaps for the tile loungers and hydrotherapy tub area. I would have loved to spend some time in there with my wife. There is complete segregation of the sexes but I believe that swimsuits are required in the tub. I also did see some rust spots on the metal loungers in the tub. Just nit picking, but this is definitely one of the best urban spas I've been time, miles and miles ahead of anything in Baltimore.

Food/Beverage
The package included $30 credit at Lamill coffee. While I didn't try any of the coffee there; it appeared that there were multiple options (espresso, drip, Chemex, vacuum coffee maker). The tea selection was also excellent. Very very solid pastries and cookies. Room service breakfast was quick and tasty. The beignets are quite yummy. I took a peek at the SUnday brunch at Wit and Wisdom and it looked quite underwhelming.

Location
This is my favorite area of Baltimore. Best restaurants ( we frequent Cinghiale quite often) and great shopping for my wife. We combined our one night staycation with dinner at Charleston, which was excellent.

Good and quite enthusiastic. The Bvlgari toiletries showed up in our room while we were having our spa treatments. We also received Voss water, some fruit and some chocolate. I took advantage of shoe shine, which did a nice job and was returned in the AM. The hotel car service apparently only runs from 7-3, which meant we were unable to utilize it. I was address by name frequently.

Checkout
I had asked for 2 PM checkout which was granted; but ended up leaving about 1230. Our car was fetched quickly. One small issue with the bill was that the Lamill coffee charges weren't taken off but that was quickly rectified. I did find receive a charge for breakfast our final morning, which I had to call and have taken care of.

Here's an odd category at the Four seasons. But, I think that this was a great value. With our two packages we received $145x2 spa credit+$100 spa credit which equaled $390. I think thus our final total for spa charges was $75 including gratuity. $30 at Lamill coffee, which we actually used to get a gift for my mother in law who was taking care of our kids. Valet parking ($46 a night) and we had room service breakfast . So, quite a nice value

Conclusion
We will definitely be back. It's ultra-convenient and quite relaxing. I felt light years away from my kids and my life, even though I could walk to work from there. I think in the future though, I would book the entry level room category and see where my upgrade takes me. Just looking at the room layouts, I think I would prefer a water view room (or a suite.. pretty please...)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Turkish first
Maryland
Reviewed August 21, 2013

As a Baltimore resident, stayed here for a recent staycation. This is in the very best location in Baltimore, on a harbor clip corner with endless water views. Was treated like royalty from all of the staff and from the elevated amenities that the hotel had to offer. The wedding was fabulous, as well as the day at the pool before and after- the service at the pool is second to none. I am a frequent traveler, travel 4-5 times a month for business and this is one of the nicest hotels In which I have ever stayed.

This was also my first Four Seasons so I am not sure how it compares to other 4 seasons elsewhere. I must say, Baltimore has re-invented itself in the last 5 years, if you haven't been, check it out via the 4 seasons- it elevates the already glowing, bustling, exciting city of Baltimore and was worth me paying for a room when I live 2 miles away.

Room Tip: Water view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Annapolis
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Central location with outstanding views and professional staff! I organize a business meeting there and was greeted by experience staff that wanted my stay to be perfect. Food was excellent and the location unbeatable if you need to stay there for business or pleasure.
Beautiful view of Baltimore harbor!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had a great experience staying at Four Seasons. I found the staff very attentive and service was inline with my expectations from past stays at other Four Seasons. Location is great as you are in close proximity to great dining in Inner Harbor and Fells Point.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room that faces the Legg Mason Tower as they can see directly into the rooms and th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights with my wife and two kids. First off the location is the best- walking dustance to Fells Point, Canton, Inner Harbor, Camden Yards , etc. Theres also a water taxi stop just outside of the hotel that will take you to Federal Hill, Fort McHenry, etc.

Service was great. Every member of the staff goes out of their way to assist you. Love the little touches- water bottles, towels and maps outside by the front entrance. Great little welcome gift for the kids.

The pool was great. It overlooks the harbor. Perfect temperature.

Rooms were clean. Staff remembered to make up queen sofa for the kids both nights.

Restaurants were great. Wit and wisdom steaks were awesome.

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013
Tenafly, New Jersey
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This place should not be under the Four Seasons name. I have stayed here a few times since its locations suited my needs. I am still waiting for the concierge to make my dinner reservations from my first visit 1 year ago and am also waiting for her to get me the information my wife and I requested. On my second visit, after working a 14 hour day on my feet and then driving 3 hours to the hotel, we had to wait over 1 hour for our luggage that we wanted to carry to our room ourselves but the hotel staff insisted they would get to our room after we checked in. Our third visit, we needed a taxi to take us to dinner. The person who showed up (after waiting 15 minutes for a cab) was not a cab driver but maybe a friend of one of the valet parking and tried to charge us 25 dollars for a trip that was under a mile away (we would have walked if we knew it was so close - we did ask if we could walk and were told no)
Everything was not bad, the pool which is open in the summer overlooking the Harbor is great, two times we stayed no one was at the pool except for my wife and I and 3 people working the pool.
The breakfast which came with our room was very good as was the service.
The front desk also does a very good job, I guess because they are used to everyone complaining.
I am not the only person who has had these problems, I talked to a few of my customers who have stayed at the hotel and they all have had similar problems.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hot Springs
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Too many service glitches to detail here - a rather serious fall-off in quality of service since our two stays during the summer of 2012. Problems ranged from reservations to check-in to room location and even turn-down service.
Further, if you are an adult seeking rest and relaxation, you will find the infinity pool overlooking the Harbor, one of this hotel's best features, packed to overflowing with shrieking infants, toddlers and children. The Pool Staff makes no effort to provide a buffer between adults and families with children by gently separating the two groups at opposite ends of the pool. Given that this hotel seems to cater to families in the summer, a separate pool for children under 12 is really in order. Adult singles and couples will not find that this impressive feature provides a relaxing, stress-free experience.
On a positive note, our two dinners at Pago were superb with flawless service that made up for service deficits at the hotel. Yuliyah, who guided us through the tasting menu with paired drinks, made our meal memorable. When we returned the following night, we were recognized and greeted warmly by several staff members.
For perspective on our visit overall, our experience at Pago far exceeded the one meal we had there in 2012. They have definitely stepped up their game. Wish I could say the same of the hotel; it has so much to offer.

Room Tip: Premier water view rooms, either East for sunrise and the Domino Sugar sign at night or West for sun...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple