“Location is its main strength”

Radisson Hotel at Cross Keys
Ranked #25 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Most of Baltimore's chain hotels/motels are located either at the airport or the Downtown/Inner Harbor area. The Radisson is located a few miles north of the city center, convenient to Johns Hopkins University (but is *not* near Johns Hopkins Hospital) and the more upscale residential neighborhoods of Roland Park, the Village of Cross Keys and the newly-hip Hampden, and is just off of I-83, which runs from the Inner Harbor all the way to the state line and into Pennsylvania.

The hotel is average and, as other reviewers have noted, in need of a update. I could overlook some of the property's foibles if the price was somewhat more reasonable... but the location is a big plus for me, as is the free parking, the nearby shops, and the park-like feel of surrounding area, which is a welcome respite from the busy city.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank MitchHellman

Reviewed September 23, 2011

The hotel looks very '70s (lots of paneling everywhere) with a possible late '80s/early '90s refurbishing, which by now itself is also very dated and never really cured the '70s look of it in the first place. Not only does it seem dated, but it looks like it hasn't been kept up properly - it's not just an issue of styling, it's dilapidated as well. Altogether, it makes it very dreary. Two things that are not helping: 1)there's a musty smell (especially in the rooms, and 2)the elevators (which inexplicably look far older than the rest of the building) are iffy, having been sllloooow when we first checked in, and completely nonfunctional later in the trip.

The rooms are a bit odd. Pretty spacious, but decorated with a strange timber/wood motif that seems totally out of place in Baltimore. The bathrooms are small, and the shower was very, very dark. The construction must not be great, because we could hear people in the halls and other rooms much more clearly than in most hotels. Also, there was not individual heat/AC control; while we could pick a temperature, we could not opt to switch from heat to AC or vice versa, because the units are not in each room. It was strange, and not really a problem for us, but it's just another thing that needs to be renovated and could be frustrating in certain times of the year.

We discovered that our room/linens had not been cleaned before our arrival (which, alone, is enough for me to say with certainty that I would not recommend this place, nor stay there again), and getting it fixed late at night was a bit of a fiasco. Customer service was hit-or-miss, and we were given many false promises about rectifying the situation.

It is in a nice little tree-filled area with good restaurants (Donna's and the Village Square Cafe were both delicious), and the parking is free. That's about all the good I can say.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank nocares67
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We stayed at this hotel from the 6th to the 18th of September, 2011. The hotel is located in a safe relaxing location in a middle of a leafy upmarket shopping centre. Here you will in addition to the hotel amenities a tennis club, restaurant, spa, and cafe. The hotel benefits from free parking, and free shuttle to the inner harbour which is a big bonus.

Down to the hotel, the bar is totally inadequate althought the staff especially Corey is great. There are no draught beers, and it is pricey. The net result is that its void of atmosphere and customers.. The food at the bar and restaurant is very good, especially the new york strip steak which is a good as youll get in Baltimore.

The hotel reception , bar and restaurant, and all public areas, are stuck in the early 90's, it is dreary, and tired, and way overdue for a refurb.

The rooms are sizeable, and the sleep by number beds are very comfortable. The decor is again stuck in the 80's / 90's and is tired and dreary. The baths do not drain properly. Things are being maintained, for example in our room the TV didnt work, (but was replaced) im sure the TV's are worth more as antiques. The telephone didnt work. On our floor, the ice machine, and vending machine didnt work. At the end of the corridor was a bucket holding water from a leaky roof, although I know from last years visit that it was re roofed. There is free wifi which works well. The bathrooms although some have been retiled, still look tired , dreary, and old fashioned.

Im told that the hotel is in line for a 7 million dollar re fit, this is well overdue.

Customer service. In previous visits I had no complaint, but standards have definitely slipped, especially at the desk. In previous visits they couldnt do enough for you, now they are inflexible and some are quite rude, others are great.

The day before the end of my visit i received a bill stating I was leaving on that day, I contacted the desk, by phone, and they stated categorically that I was leaving today, but they would match the rate given by my booking agent opodo. The receptionist even had the audacity to tell me to check my flights in case id made a mistake there too. My travel document clearly stated my check out date. Later I visited the desk to query this further, and asked them to check their records and showed them travel documents. They refused and I wasted a further 45 minutes in an arguments. In the end the inflexible receptionist (female, late 20's, slim-same person I spoke to on the phone) re checked their system and discovered an error by the check in clerk. I received no apology even though we missed a day trip to Washington as a result,

I contacted Radisson customer service twice by email, but have still to receive an apology or even any response. My family and friends stay here maybe 3/4 times year, not any more.

This hotel has great potential, but it needs an urgent re fit, and lessons in customer service.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank GJonesWales
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We were in town for a wedding. The room was very nice, bed comfortable and service was great too! Free parking. The hotel is surrounded by a courtyard of nice shops. Don't want to eat in the hotel, there are two cafe type places to grab a bite right there. The hotel has it's own shuttle that can take you to local attractions. Although we didn't use - the light rail is close by to catch downtown. Good spot!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I was in Baltimore with my son to visit the JHU campus. The hotel was a bit hard to find (in the driving rain), as it is part of the cross keys shopping center. But, once there, all was good. Their corporate rate for campus visitors was very reasonable. It was about a 10 minute drive to campus.
The room was clean, the beds were Sleep Number models so we could 'dial up' our level of firmness.
Good experience overall!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We were visiting Johns Hopkins and this hotel is within minutes of the campus. The check-in was pleasant and quick. The rooms were clean but dated. We didn't use service or other amenities. Restaurant was terrible but I'll write another review for that.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have just returned from spending three nights at the hotel. This is my seventh time in the last two years. Some rooms are better than others, but I think that may be due to newer renovations occurring. The room was very spacious, the bed was new, and the mattress very comfortable. It was during the heat wave and the air worked very well. What I like about the Radisson at Cross Keys is the location. It sits off Route 83 but in an upscale shopping village. You can walk and visit the shops, as well as finding restaurants there and nearby. My favorite is Petit Louis, which I always make sure I visit.

Room Tip: Just ask if they can upgrade you (with a smile).
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business