“led astray by trip advisor”

Thames Street Oyster House
Ranked #3 of 2,007 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Fells Point
Los Angeles, California
“led astray by trip advisor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Trip advisor is so often right that when this restaurant came up #2 in Baltimore, I called ahead for reservations. And I was even more looking forward to a great meal when a fellow Radisson guest raved about the place. What a disappointment. If this is the best seafood Baltimore can offer, they should stop serving fish.

I started with 10 raw oysters, which were great. Ordered an assortment from Prince Edward Island, and they did not disappoint, but -- the mignonette was made with apple cider vinegar, and boy was it vinegary! Virtually inedible, and who ever heard of such a thing? White wine vinegar, and wine vinegar, even rice wine vinegar; but apple cider vinegar? Nope. Then I had the special soup, a Rhode Island Clam Chowder? not sure, but it came in a little cast iron pan which had been heated before the soup was ladled, if it wasn't just made in the little pan, and our poor cream based chowder had 'broken' -- the roux separating and a floating sheen of fat when it should be velvet. And because the soup was too hot and the cast iron was way hot, there was not a chance in hell of eating this soup any time before the next day, so I asked to have it transferred to a regular bowl, which was done over at the servers' counter, after a bit of delay. Guess they didn't trust the kitchen with it. Poor guy across the room waited 20 minutes before he could start eating his, while his dinner companions had finished their soup, a salad and some hors d'oeuvres while he could only look on longingly.

So the soup was tasty, once I got to it. But when the dinner arrived, it was the final blow. I ordered the Thames Street Seafood Salad, described in toto as "Blue crab, Gulf shrimp, calamari, scallops, citrus vinaigrette, Boston Bibb." $14. I expressed a lack of desire for the calamari, but was told the could not make subtractions in the menu, so I said I could just pick out the calamari.

I'm expecting some well presented array of seafood, spread glistening across a bed of Bibb lettuce with a sharp lemon or orange, maybe grapefruit?, vinaigrette drizzled across. Ha! A gelatinous mound of the sort of seafood salad you'd find in your tuna melt, bound together with a decidedly non-citrus or vinegar mayo based dressing. The calamari didn't dominate, but they were second best to a shredded mess of crab, followed by tasteless shrimp, an occasional what must be a slice of scallop served atop a very lonely, full, single leaf of Boston Bibb lettuce. I picked around, broke the mound open to see if things were better inside El Capitan, and called for the check so I could walk away, dismayed and disgusted. Took the water taxi over to Sullivan's at Inner Harbor and had a fillet mignon and potato to wash the taste of the worst salad I've had since I can't think of when. Wish I could lose the memory, but it's on my list of 10 worst meals ever.

The help is charming, but the executive chef needs to go spend a week on the Atlantic coast of France and remember how it's supposed to be done.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank misterfisher2006

Huron, Ohio
“Yum!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We ate outside and had the crab cakes and cucumber salad! AWESOME!!! Great service, good food!!! Great choice!

Visited August 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent food, attentive and knowledgeable staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Our party of 4 sat upstairs and really enjoyed the whole experience of dining here. All of the staff we met were helpful and cheerful and really seemed to enjoy their work and their co-workers. Our waiter, Sean, was very knowledgeable about the way the food was prepared and able to describe the 'deliciousness' of each dish to a "T"! One of our party was vegetarian and he and the chef worked to prepare a fantastic sandwich based on one of the ones in the menu that she really enjoyed and appreciated. The raw oyster selection was amazing and my husband raved about the quality and flavor present in each. The menu was great and I would highly recommend a visit!

• Visited August 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Slipping”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

First let me state that the service was great. The food is good especially if you like raw bar and oysters. Very good but I red average because of the value . The menu is Ok but a bit pricey. If you order a sandwich, lobster roll, shrimp roll etc, your side other than fries, will be delivered in a thimble size dish. If you get cole slaw it'll be about 10 shreds of slaw in a small stainless vessel that usually would have ketchup .
So an $ 18 dollar lobster roll has one side that is the size of a thimble. My husband had a fish sandwich and he described it as " tiny" My husband ordered an expensive "Heirloom " salad with Burrata and the cheese was good but the tomatoes where a few little cherry tomatoes that I can get at BJ,s. My husband felt cheated. And the sides never change.
Beans, cucumber salad , cole slaw or fries. Get the fries because you can actually count them.
For the money the portion is a bit sparse even for the main plates. I am not a big gulp eater, i am petite but even I go home hungry. Food quality is good. Atmosphere is Fells Point Maritime.
$100 dollars and we had to stop at McDonalds to get Blueberry smoothies .

• Visited July 2013
“Pricey for only average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Overall, I the entree was average. I will say, however, that the oysters were wonderful. I'd go back for the oysters and leave the entree.

Visited July 2013