“Slipping”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fells Point
Reviewed August 1, 2013

First let me state that the service was great. The food is good especially if you like raw bar and oysters. Very good but I red average because of the value . The menu is Ok but a bit pricey. If you order a sandwich, lobster roll, shrimp roll etc, your side other than fries, will be delivered in a thimble size dish. If you get cole slaw it'll be about 10 shreds of slaw in a small stainless vessel that usually would have ketchup .
So an $ 18 dollar lobster roll has one side that is the size of a thimble. My husband had a fish sandwich and he described it as " tiny" My husband ordered an expensive "Heirloom " salad with Burrata and the cheese was good but the tomatoes where a few little cherry tomatoes that I can get at BJ,s. My husband felt cheated. And the sides never change.
Beans, cucumber salad , cole slaw or fries. Get the fries because you can actually count them.
For the money the portion is a bit sparse even for the main plates. I am not a big gulp eater, i am petite but even I go home hungry. Food quality is good. Atmosphere is Fells Point Maritime.
$100 dollars and we had to stop at McDonalds to get Blueberry smoothies .

There are newer reviews for Thames Street Oyster House

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Overall, I the entree was average. I will say, however, that the oysters were wonderful. I'd go back for the oysters and leave the entree.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was on my to do list when visiting Baltimore. Took the water taxi over to Fells Point. Get there early as if fills up fast; not a lot of seating. The crab sandwich is out of this world and all of the sauces are house made.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Met up with a friend. Before going, I read up on the reviews and maybe had too high expectations based on the reviews. I ordered the famous lobster roll and had ceviche for appetizer.
Ceviche was so so. The lobster roll, I was excited to try, but was not fabulous. It was good, but couldn't understand the hype. I might give it a second try just because of the rave, but before that, would not recommend to friends yet.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I can't believe it took me over a year to finally check our Thames Street Oyster House. All the hype, rave, positive reviews, and recommendations were definitely legit.

The staff here are professional and very accommodating. I called on a Wednesday to make a reservation for 8 for the next day. I know the place is smallish, but whoever took my call spoke with her manager and made it happen. We arrived the next day, but 3 of my friends backed out last minute; nevertheless, the staff was still so friendly, adjusted the tables according, and still seated us quickly.

Service here was impeccable. Our server made good recommendations and was very attentive, checking on us every so often. We had our drinks refilled regularly, used plates and dishes taken away when needed, and extra bread delivered upon request.

Now... to the good stuff. Needless to say, the seafood variety here is indescribably good. Key word -- indescribably. My words cannot do justice to the quality here so I won't be using any fancy adjectives.

* Raw oysters and clams - These are to die for. Clean and smooth. Good variety and changes daily. You can't yourself an oyster house and not serve top notched oysters.
* PEI mussels - Well, there are restaurants that are known for their mussels, but the oyster house beats them out with this dish. The broth/sauce is delicious.
* Grilled rock octopus - Definitely my favorite appetizer. Smaller portions, but will blow your mind when you place it into your mouth.
* Maryland crab with short rib soup - Solid. What a good combination!
* Bouillabaise - Want a bunch of seafood/shellfish? Get this dish and you'll get all of it in one simmering, giant bowl.
* Gulf of Maine Hake - Great concoction of ingredients that complement the hake fish.
* Special of the day (porgy fish) - This was my favorite dish of the day. The porgy fish was a large two-pounder, perfectly fried with crispy skin. Topped with avocado and scrumptious potatoes. Just place your fork on the fish's side and the soft meat will just peel off.

Prices, though not cheap, are relatively inexpensive when compared to other seafood-specializing restaurants. This was the perfect experience and I was thoroughly impressed. Will have to come again.

1  Thank Tunaidi