“Worth the wait for the table”

Thames Street Oyster House
Ranked #3 of 2,094 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fells Point
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We walked in with no reservation at 1:30PM; had to wait about 20 minutes for a high top table in the bar area. It was definitely worth the wait! We started with oyster shooters and an array from the raw bar: Four different kinds of oysters, shrimp, lobster claw, lobster tail and crab claw. We enjoyed comparing the oyster description to our tasting experience. Then we both had the lobster stew (which I kept saying "lobstah stew" in my head) -- and it was to die for! Creamy, briny, oniony stock with those bits of lobster, and served in a cast iron kettle bowl made it a wonderful choice. This is a "must" dining experience if you love seafood.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,658)

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I guess there is a first for everything. We picked up a west coast friend from BWI who was looking forward to seafood.
As is my new rhythm, I trusted my fellow Tripadvisor reviewers who rated Thames #1 in seafood and #4 in all Baltimore's inner harbor.
Imaging my surprise when we arrived at 5:10 for a 5:30 reservation and were told, with 6 or 7 empty tables, we'd need to wait until 5:30. Then, at 5:30, we were escorted to one of the, you guessed it, still, empty tables. No explanation or apology. I imagine that curious hospitality effected our taste buds because, of the 6 items we ordered (lobster soup, calamari, swordfish, fish and chips, lobster wedge and bread pudding) only the dessert was satisfying. Total bummer. Grateful our company was gracious. We rated the experience a generous 7 out of 10. Sadly, don't plan to return.

2  Thank Mpfisher
Reviewed July 7, 2013

After a hot (90+) humid day sight seeing at Baltimore's Inner Harbor, a 7:45 dinner reservation at the hip Thames Street Oyster House was a pleasant way to end a quick getaway. We spent the day popping between old ships, cool cocktails, and quick water taxi's around the over franchised Inner Harbor. We water taxied over to Fell's Point, a neighborhood full of trendy restaurants, bars and shops, and crossed the street and entered the old but sharp, clean, and neatly renovated building, tables on the sidewalk offered the best views of the harbor and pier. Downstairs had a long bar, high tops and some seating in the back ( there was a back courtyard with seating as well but we didn't check that out). We were a bit late for our reservation, but no problem here, we were told the next table upstairs would be ours, we ordered drinks at the bar, which had a good selection of wine, beer and spirits. The bartender had perfect recommendations when informed of our preferences, oaky Chardonnay for me and a refreshing local lager for my hubby. The crowd downstairs was full of young professionals on this Saturday night, nibbling on shared plates and selections from the raw bar. Less than 10 minutes later our table was called and we week escorted upstairs, here we found a charming dining room with white tablecloths and brown butcher paper toppers, this was an older crowd, but still hip. Our only complaint was the noise, the dining room was full, and the lack of sound absorbing materials made all but boisterous conversation difficult. Our waitress Scotty, was quick to the table with water, menus, and raw bar menu. When asked for suggestions on the best oysters she quickly informed us of her 3 favorites and why. This was the beginning of a wonderful relationship. Her suggestions were right on the mark, we ordered 2 of each of the 3 she suggested. We followed the raw oysters, with fried oysters. They came out plump, tender and juicy. I would have preferred a less thick breading with a little more spice, my husband ordered 2 more of his favorite raw oysters. The table next to us was just having dessert and passing the four dishes around the table, they saw us l eyeing the different delicious looking options and offered their suggestions on the best- chocolate tart with raspberries, bread pudding with caramel sauce, strawberry shortcake, or cinnamon cake. I knew I would be saving room for one of these. When Scotty returned to take our order, we asked her what she would have recommended for an appetizer and she said she really liked the octopus or the lobster Mac and cheese, we noticed the table on the other side of us ordered both and were raving! Next time. For our entree I ordered the lobster roll with cucumber salad, and hubby was undecided between the bouillabaisse and the hake. Scotty offered the the boulliabaise or the scallops as excellent choices but said the Sea Bass was amazing! Hubby went with the Sea Bass. He loved the mix of flavors and textures, my lobster roll was perfect, fresh with a sweet cream butter for dipping. We finished with the dessert choosing the bread pudding with caramel sauce, the caramel sauce was deliciously creamy and thick! The food was fabulous but the service won the show! Food was brought out by a number of servers and they knew who ordered what, tables were cleared quickly and efficiently, drinks and water we refilled regularly, bartender had great suggestions, hostess was able to accommodate our late arrival pleasantly, and our main server, Scotty, was fun and knowledgable. And all for under $125! Thames Street Oyster House a perfect reason to un "chain" yourself and experience a local restaurant!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

A very good establishment. We had great oysters and lobster and some very fresh flaky cod. Cocktails were inventive and there was a good list of beers also. It's very small and was packed the Saturday lunchtime we were there so would recommend a reservation,

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Had a business lunch here while driving through Baltimore.

The restaurant is in a great "old towne" location on a cobblestone street right next to the water. The neighborhood feels like it has been around for centuries and I was disappointed that I couldn't spend some time wandering the streets and exploring.

The restaurant itself was updated and clean inside. They had a few (4) seats outside, seating at the bar, and a few tables inside. We chose to sit at the bar where they had can's containing a constantly updated menu of the choices at the raw bar. Not being an expert on oysters we had the bar tender choose for us. He picked out three different type of oysters which were all delicious! He certainly did right by us.

For the entrée I had the Crab Sandwich and my companion had the fried clam sandwich. Both were very tasty. The crab had a great flavor and they didn't overwhelm it with sauce and my friend said the fried clam sandwich was one of the best he ever had.

The only snafu was they mixed up my side dish (giving me the fries instead of pasta salad) which turned out well as the fries were delicious.

I would certainly recommend the Thames Street Oyster house!