“Not worth the price”

Inn at The Black Olive
Ranked #43 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This hotel is not worth $310/night. The aesthetic is odd with something very off about it. I appreciate the environmental consciousness, but, as others have noted, design comes off as (at best) Ikea- lite. Furthermore, I've never stayed at a "luxury" hotel with (such bad) art on the wall--with price tags! Tacky. The lights drove me crazy. Could not figure out how to get a light to stay on (or off), so reading at night required getting up and waving at a motion sensor every ten minutes or waiting ten minutes for unwanted lights to go off. My "harbor view" was mostly of a desolate parking lot. It is also strange for a "luxury" hotel not to have food available before 10 AM (on Sunday). Luckily I realized this on Saturday and purchased some yogurt, etc. But eating out of a take out tray is not what one expects at this level. Could also not regulate temperature, so room was uncomfortably hot, and the alleged "high speed" internet didn't work at all; couldn't download anything on either my phone or tablet. "Amenities" in bathroom consisted of shampoo, conditioner and soap--not even some body lotion to counter dry room. I changed my plans and left as early as possible in the morning. The one plus were the two staff members who were quite friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Jane F

Reviewed February 24, 2014

At more than $250 per night we were expecting something really spectacular. What we got was large rooms with mismatched furniture, nowhere to hang a coat, no plug for a hairdryer anywhere near a mirror; coffee grounds meting out on a daily basis (if you ask for it) chips in the paint, gouges in the walls, breakfast NOT included and a single complementary bottle of water. Whoopee. Not a typical hotel, we agree. Worth the price? Absolutely note,

Room Tip: All face onto S. Caroline which has traffic.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kai S
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stellar Service: The service started before our arrival. The concierge communicated with me by email about several questions and was quick o reply with thorough explanations. Upon arrival, the concierge escorted us to our room and showed us the amenities and highlighted the green features. The staff were very friendly throughout our stay.

Value: We went on a "slow day" (according to he pricing on our bill) and got a pretty good deal on the Grand Spa Suite which they upgraded to a Double-King for free. On weekends and busy travel days it can be a little pricey (I checked out a few random dates before reviewing), but factor in the free bottle of Greek organic wine, sparkling water, and organic bath salts and it's still a deal. The Jacuzzi tub was spacious and relaxing and the bed was a dream! I loved the décor (local artist pieces), simplicity of the room, high ceilings, and view of the harbor. It really is for the traveler who appreciates those type of amenities and the green features. It is not a typical hotel experience, with centrally controlled geo-thermic heating/cooling and motion detector lights. If you're not into it before you go, you might not get how cool it is once you get there, but it would be difficult not to leave impressed. We ended up talking a lot about how we could make our daily living more green based on our stay.

Sleep Quality: The room was quiet and the bed was one of the best I've slept on (also all-organic). Some reviews complain about noise, but we heard nothing outside our room even though the street was busy.

Cleanliness: Very clean, modern, and sleek.

Location: Close to the Inner Harbor, Fells Point, and Little Italy - walking distance or a short cab ride to all of these attractions.

Rooms: The rooms are big and lack the clutter of your typical hotel room furniture. The rooms were wide open and almost minimalist in their décor. Definitely the best room I've ever stay in, in Baltimore.

The only drawback: We went to the restaurant ("The Olive Room") for a prix-fixe meal ($75 for & courses on a holiday). Great view, decent food, but the hostess was rude (claimed she did not have our Open Table-booked reservation until I offered to show her the confirmation email from the concierge), the waiter was awkward and untrained (he told me my card was declined - when I called my credit card they said they charged the dinner to the card but declined the next 4 swipes for the same amount). The Open Table emailed me to ask why I had not honored my reservation. It put kind-of a damper on my birthday dinner, but I would still return to he hotel and might try the sister restaurant ("The Black Olive" nearby which I believe is owned by the parents of the Inn-owner) which gets better reviews.

But I don't want to end on a negative note. My wife and I are already looking for a reason to go back. It's a hidden Baltimore gem that I would recommend to any forward-thinking modern traveler or couple headed to the region.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Mike B
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed here to visit our son. We thought the hotel was in a great location. We should have listened to the instructions on how to work the lights because every time we moved during the night the lights came on. It was also a little warm in the room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marlboromom329
Reviewed January 1, 2014

It is unique and creative in a demure kind of way. The room was very spacious and well appointed with a fridge, sink, large tub and shower plus a washer/dryer. The balcony was wonderful to watch the New Year's Eve fireworks over the Harbor. They are still working out the sensor lights but it is something they are aware of. The location is fantastic and the bed was extra comfortable.We had breakfast downstairs and it was delicious.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Keller60
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We loved this visit. Excellent, accommodating staff and lovely, comfy accommodations. The decor and furniture are a typical for a hotel but that's what we loved about it. Everything is simple and comfortable and so clean.

They brought us a lovely bottle of organic white wine and we loved the organic bath products too. We had a great view and an overall lovely experience. We also dined at the cafe which was great. Thanks!!! We will be back!

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank thelizardfest
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I got one of the suites on the second floor with two bedrooms and two bathrooms. It was ridiculously large. This hotel room was larger than my condo at home, but it was very minimalist in decoration. There are painted walls and floors with no art on the walls and very little warmth or decoration. There were some quirks like the curtain was kind of broken, no hangers in the closet or hand soap in the bathroom and the bedroom light didn't work properly. The staff was excellent and eager to do anything to be helpful.

Room Tip: The lights are on a motion sensor. Call the front desk to change your room temperature. My default s...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business