“Incredible Hotel, Great service!”

Inn at The Black Olive
Ranked #44 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for my brothers wedding. My family had 5 of the rooms and they were all very nice. Everything in the hotel is organic and all natural and recycled. Free wine in the fridge, awesome organic California king bed, and wonderfully large whirlpool tub. Complimentary breakfast from the restaurant upstairs is all organic food, and delicious. The wedding was at the hotel, upstairs on the deck outside the restaurant. Beautiful view. The staff was very helpful with the setup of the wedding and the reception, which was inside the restaurant. The wedding was beautiful and the atmosphere of the hotel and the restaurant made it very special. Unfortunately, I live in Florida, and won't be able to visit this hotel. If you are in the area and looking for a hotel this one is highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Elismomma
Dimitris S, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Dear Elismomma!

Thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. It was our pleasure hosting you and your family during your brothers wedding. We greatly appreciate your kind words about the room and your stay and glad to hear the wedding was such a success.

We hope to see you back again the next time you visit Baltimore.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

We took advantage of a google offer and stayed there for one night. Baltimore is a fun neat ocean city which has a lot of fun things for everyone. Fells point, where the inn is located, is my favorite place. Hence, we picked this hotel. It is really in the middle of everything and with a 30 minute walk radius, you can get to the camden yards, the shopping area (which includes a Whole Foods), and even a great Farmer's Market on Sundays during the warmer months. Fells point main area is a 3 min walk. Even better is they offer in and out parking in a secure garage next door for $15 per night. You just pick up the beep HID card from the front desk upon arrival. The garage even has a walkway that links directly to the inn. The location itself is honestly as good as it gets.

As for the room, there were a lots of high points, and some lows (although nothing major). The room was large and spacious. The highlight of the room was definitely the bathroom which housed an enormous two person jacuzzi. It's a pipeless system so the water isn't recirculated and makes it much more sanitary. Amazing bath oil/soak and olive oil sugar scrub provided! The shower is also enormous and well kept. There is even a washer dryer in the room which organic detergent! The bedroom is very spacious and the bed is very comfortable with a pillow top. I also liked the kitchen area that had a coffee maker and local Zeke's coffee which is gourmet and legit brew for coffee fanatics out there. There is also a mini fridge. Balconies are nice as well. I also liked the automatic lights which use sensors to turn on and time out without movement in the room.

The service was top notch as well. The gentleman (I think Ryan), helped print out walking directions for us, offered a huge golf umbrella because we were walking in the rain, immediately ran to get us caffeinated coffee when there was only decaf in the room, and also came outside to get the parking pass from our car when we were about to leave. They were happy to let us park earlier and stay later than check in and check out, respectively so we could enjoy the area longer. They were also friendly in the market downstairs.

The market had some neat organic things, but we ate out mostly and can't comment much. There is free breakfast which is nice, along with free organic wine upon arrival. The breakfast was a little scarce for bigger men, however. My significant other ordered the "scones and jam" and it was just that. My two eggs, toast, and salad looked a lot heartier compared to the scone option (you can only pick one of the two options). I would suggest maybe a small fruit salad to accompany the scone. Eggs seemed to be organic as the yolk was very orangey and bright. I really liked the butter that came with the toast. Jam was nothing special. Fresh OJ was included also.

As for some things that can be improved:
- The paint on the floor in the bathroom was coming off if the floor got wet. Its impossible to keep the floor totally dry in a bathroom to avoid that. It might be the type of paint due to the LEED design of the building.
- The kitchen cabinet was broken and flew off when we opened it. I would imagine they are going to repair it. Perhaps the previous people didn't alert them of this.
- Housekeeping didn't notice there was only decaf coffee, but it was immediately refilled upon request with apologies included!
- The automatic lights were a nuisance when we used the bathroom in the middle of the night because they would be blinding. You can turn it off though if you wanted to.
- The decor was a little random. I wasn't sure why there wasn't more of a theme, whether it be style or color or pattern. It was minimalist which was nice since it felt really clean.
- Thin floors. We could hear whatever was above us pretty well despite the area rugs. Footsteps, esp if wearing heels, were kind of loud but we passed out regardless.
- There felt like there was a shortage of trash cans. All the trashcans were near the kitchen area. No trash can in bathroom or bedroom which was strange.
- No mirror in bedroom which could make dressing difficult if you came for an event and the bathroom was occupied.

Please note though, that while these were some of the negatives, they are all REALLY minor and I only mentioned some things to make the Inn even better so it can continue to be enjoyed in the future. They did not make our visit unenjoyable by any means and we LOVED the hotel. We would HIGHLY recommend it, esp if you are couples, and if you can score a discount offer. We can't wait to visit again and hope that you enjoy it as much as we did!

Room Tip: Higher up has better view. Otherwise, all seem solid and all face the water.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ziggy793

Greeting ziggy793!

Thank you for writing about your stay with us we greatly appreciate your feedback and are happy you were able to enjoy your Google offer. We take great pride in our property and are happy to see you had such a wonderful experience. The highlights of your stay that you mentioned are exactly what we want every guest to experience from the beautiful CozyPure mattress to the enormous Aqua Therapy tub.

Your ideas for improvement are greatly appreciated and noted, we take guest suggestions seriously and are always looking for ways to improve. We hope to see you back in the near future and I’m glad you enjoyed Baltimore.

We are looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

We travel for work and I'm constantly looking for new and intersting places to stay. The Inn at The Black Olive was perfect. I didn't feel like I was stuck in another hotel but rather staying somewhere fun and relaxing. The location was amazing and the beds are really comfortable. The restaurant upstairs was excellent. Everyone was really nice and helpful. i only had a few thoughts that weren't totally positive, but they in no way will keep me from staying there every time we're in Baltimore for work. The TV in the living room was on the smaller side. As I don't watch TV a lot that doesn't really matter to me. There was no dock or stereo hookup for an ipod. Would have been nice, but again, I wasn't there to just sit in the room for hours. They only carried glass bottles for water. I get why for sure but it would have been nice to have something more easy to carry outside the hotel. Maybe have water bottles in the room that they can charge for?

Room Tip: We were in rooms 41 and 42. Both were amazing. 41, the california room had a nice patio but 42, wi...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kathy T

Dear Kathy T:

Thank you for your recent post about your stay with us on TripAdvisor we are very happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us so much. I am glad to see your stay with us was relaxing and fun.

I do appreciate your comments about the room, I am sorry the Google TV was not large enough for you, we are making a strong effort to have iPod docking stations in every room for guest to use; some suites do have them, I am sorry yours didn’t. As far as the water bottles we have had comments about this from other guests and we are looking into it.

We hope to have you back in the near future when you travel to Baltimore.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

Thanks to Hotel.com our reservation at a different hotel was misplaced, and so they put us up in a Corner Spa Suite at the Black Olive while attending the Natural Products Expo. I can't tell you how nice it was to finally be in a comfortable and green hotel environment. We enjoyed all the comforts of being home (organic food and personal/bath products), a comfortable bed, living room, and kitchen. We loved the corner balcony and whirlpool. The location was convenient to many restaurants and shops and the staff was super helpful and friendly. As a former architect I really could appreciate all the time they put into making sure every detail was green and efficient - even down to the way they clean the rooms with steam!
Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Beyond_all_Borders
Dimitris S, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2012

Greetings Beyond_all_Borders:

Thank you for your kind words about your heavenly stay with us at the Inn during your stay in Baltimore while you attended the Natural Products Expo. We are very happy to see you appreciated our green hotel concept and can see the hard work we put into it.

We are looking forward to see you back.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I previously shared a review with you as TheBirthdayGirl45, however since then I had another opportunity to stay at the Inn at the Black Olive and let me tell you it was phenomenal. My friend who has expressed to me how clean the Inn is and me being a traveler, part-time travel agent and a person with high standards who has stayed in some of the finest hotels found that hard to believe every hotel has somes dust in the corners.  Now my first visit here in March I thoroughly inspected the place, however  I didn't do my how clean is this room test so when I went back this month I decided to challenge him on his review of the Inn. I took with me a pair of brand new white socks and I wore them in the room for 10 hours before I took them off well to my surprise my brand new white socks were still white when I took them off I couldn't believe it. I then went around the room and did the dust bunny test I went through this room with a fine tooth comb and could not find any dust anywhere...very impressive since I have stayed in many hotels, resorts, private rental homes and my biggest complaint is that the room is never cleaned properly this is a big deal for me especially if I'm spending my money to stay there.
Well this lovely Organic Greek setting Inn is like apartment living as soon as you enter the rooms the lights come on immediately so there's no looking around for a light switch. The bed/mattress, towels and robes are organic; soft to the skin and the furniture is made of bamboo and recovered wood the walls are my favorite simply because they are not dry wall Dimitris kept the natural look yea I did my homework...I had some free time. Did I also mention that the floors are radiant heated so if you forget your slippers they got you covered. Complimentary organic breakfast, wine, water, and coffee are all available to you in room. Awesome!!

Look I could go on all day talking about this place, but why should I if you don't believe me go check it out for yourself I guarantee you, you will not be disappointed. The staff is very friendly beyond friendly...many thanks to Dimitris, Chris, Alicia, Jenny, Emily and Ryan  if I excluded anyone or misspelled your names please forgive me, but I didn't want to end this review without acknowledging all of you.

Room Tip: I said it before just pick a room any room you can't go wrong! Word of mouth is the best testi...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Raven C

Dear Raven C:

Thank you for your thorough and very descriptive review about your stay with us. We take a lot of pride to make sure every room is cleaned to perfection after each guest departs from their Spa Suite; we double and triple check each room before the arriving guest checks in. Your kind words about the room from the amazing Cozy Pure mattress to the robes are very much appreciated and we are glad your white socks were still pure white when you took them off.

We welcome you back to the Inn whenever you are in Baltimore again and need a over night getaway, please let me know if there is anything I can do to make your next stay with us as phenomenal as your last, customer satisfaction is our number one priority.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Ryan Solomon, the concierge and director of customer relations, is phenomenal in every way. He went above and beyond his traditional duties as a concierge to make sure we were extremely comfortable and very informed about our room and its amenities throughout our brief stay in Baltimore.

The restaurant is also amazing. Great service and great Greek-inspired/Mediterranean food.

This is an awesome place to stay whether you are a prospective student looking at Johns Hopkins or looking for somewhere to stay for a weekend.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank oliviaderaadt

Dear Oliviaderaadt:

Thank you for your kind words about your stay at the Inn and your amazing experience in our roof top restaurant The Olive Room. We were very happy to have you stay with us while checking out Johns Hopkins for a prospective school. I am happy to hear you enjoyed everything we have to offer and hope to see you back soon.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make your next stay with us as amazing as your first/

Reviewed April 9, 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending a luxurious night at The Inn at the Black Olive on April 6, 2012. Traveling to downtown Baltimore for the Oriole’s Opening Day, we thought we would treat ourselves to a night at this lovely, boutique-style inn. Our experience was absolutely wonderful from start to finish!

From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. The manager, Alicia, personally escorted us to our suite to make sure we were pleased with our room and to explain the abundant amenities that the room had to offer. The Black Olive Inn’s eco-friendly décor includes not only organic toiletries and bed linens, but also a complimentary bottle of organic wine. As guests, we were given numerous healthy choices for our breakfast the following morning which was delivered to our room promptly at the time we had requested in advance. We were impressed with the spaciousness and cleanliness of the suite, with a large living and dining area, bedroom, and bathroom with a two-person Jacuzzi and large enclosed shower. The bed was so inviting, with soft, organic sheets and bed linens which enveloped you in sheer comfort and allowed you to easily drift off to sleep. For guests traveling on business, their large, flat-screen television also serves as a computer with internet access.

The only suggestion for improvement which I shared with the inn’s friendly and courteous director of customer relations, Ryan, would be to place a small sitting stool under the vanity in the bathroom so that guests may comfortably use the nice make-up mirror they provide.

This is the perfect place for health-conscious, eco-friendly enthusiasts to spend an evening, weekend, or as much time as their visit to Baltimore allows them. It is great for a romantic getaway and also for the business traveler. The inn is very customer-service oriented and makes sure every need of every guest is met. We highly recommend it!

Room Tip: There was not a swimming pool or spa, but there were no choices above to say "not applicable&qu...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Donna W
Dimitris S, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Dear Donna W:

Thank you so much for your lovely review about your stay and sharing your wonderful experience with everyone on TripAdvisor. Your thoughtful and heartfelt comments about your entire stay from start to finish are greatly appreciated by us all.

I do appreciate you bringing to my attention your thoughts about a sitting stool for the vanity area; I do agree with your concern about it. I have brought that to the attention of our hotel manager and we are vigorously looking for stools or a small chair we can purchase for the rooms under the vanities.

Once again thank you for staying with us and please let me know personally if there is anything I can do to make sure your next stay is as wonderful as your first.