“Fancy Dive Bar”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We only went to the bar side although we also ordered dinner. They had daily specials, including the most amazing chilled dill soup I've ever had. It's decorated like a dive bar and it's mostly locals hanging out in there, however the place was super clean, excellent service and did not AT ALL smell like a dive bar! A band was setting up as we were leaving and we wish we could have stayed longer. My wife got the mushroom ravioli and it was delicious. Our bartender was a friendly woman and made the experience even more enjoyable. It's also suppose to be haunted by a little girl who died here of yellow fever and was buried in the square!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Bertha's is a decent place, but waits are especially long on Friday and Saturday nights.

It's mainly known for its mussels, which aren't bad. However, I don't think there's anything sophisticated or special about them. I've tried the mussels with assorted sauces so that I could taste a variety of samples. I found that I really couldn't taste the difference between several of them.

Bertha's isn't that pricey either, but I will warn you that one order of mussels will not fill a typical man's stomach.

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I was really disappointed in Bertha's. We went looking for a Baltimore landmark restaurant and found a dirty and worn down shadow of its former self. No wonder it was mostly empty. The food was good enough but I just couldn't get past the dirty walls, floors, tables and broken toilets. If that is what the public areas are like I don't even want to think about the shape of the kitchen.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had mussels, of course. Great! The waitress was very nice and made a perfect recommendation of mussels with olive oil and anchovies. We have been here many times and will continue to come back.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

That's what people who live there kept telling us so we decided to give it a try - and they are right! Everything we ate was perfect. The mussels are amazing - if you don't try them then you really haven't visited Baltimore.