“Great beer selection”
Review of Alewife

Alewife
Reserve with OpenTable
Alewife is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #606 of 2,055 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The restaurant is housed in an old bank, and the decor suits the pub feel very well. It's not a huge place, but our party of 12 was able to get a table in a room off the bar very quickly on a Saturday night. The food was good to very good, but not phenomenal. The dinner menu selection was a bit limited. I had the catfish tacos, which were fairly bland, but the fries and calamari appetizers were excellent. The REAL REASON to come to this pub is, of course, the wonderful beer selection. They had many hard-to-find beers on tap, including a Stone Ruination Tropical Heat IPA that was phenomenal. The beers on tap rotate often, and they serve what seemed like more than 200 beers by the bottle. Highly recommended if you're after a great beer selection with decent bar food. Note: it's a little loud, as pubs tend to be.

There are newer reviews for Alewife

Reviewed June 25, 2013

It's nice to have easy access to craft beers when I'm on the road. The food was solid, certainly more creative/reasonably priced than hotel fare, but the draught beer list really shone. There were plenty of choices from Stone (including some rare beers), dogfish, and a few smaller breweries I enjoy. The staff was friendly. Overall, I'd absolutely pick this place over a hotel bar, if you're in town on business.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I do not get wow-ed to often when it comes to restaurant food. This was my 2nd or 3rd vist to Alewife. Its a convenient spot to go to before a show at Everyman's Theatre or the Hippodrome. Last night I ordered the Giner Grant (ok), a glass of wine, and the roasted vegetable ragout. This dish was delicious. I cleared the plate. My cousin had the fish tacos and was impressed too. I am excited to return and might just have to order the same dish because it was just that good even though there are many other items on the menu I want to try!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stopped by here after a baseball game after running across the place while walking around the day before. The place had a lot of promise with the atmosphere, and we were really looking forward to grabbing a beer here with a bite to eat (with a LOT of beeer choices!!).

When we got hear around 10:30 on a Saturday night, we were really surprised at the lack of patrons....only two tables occupied, and about a half dozen people sitting at the bar. Despite this lack of patrons, it took a while for the bartender to recognize us and ask us what we wanted....but not before very rudely saying "You're sitting in someone else's seat". Not that we could tell by anything left on the bar....turns out this seat was being used by the bartenders "girl friend", who was socializing at one of the occupied tables. Very rude, I thought.

In any case, there was a fantastic selection of beer, although I didn't enjoy mine (not the bar's fault; poor selection judgement on my part). The food was only OK; I got a Kobe Beef Burger on a pretzel roll, and was really looking forward to it. The dog was just OK; I guess I was expecting a little bit more.

Overall, I did not think the staff was very friendly, and the food just "OK", while there was a great selection of beer options. The atmosphere of this building with the high ceilings and layout (LOVE the "valut" dining table!!) was also excellent, and gave some great character to the place.

I might try this again when the more extensive menu was available(we only had the "late night" menu avaialable), and maybe hope for better service.........

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Arrived on a hot Saturday and found it cool inside but things went downhill from there. I ordered the ciderberry (raspberry) cider listed on the menu and was told it had been discontinued so I switched to the apple based cider. When it arrived it had a very tart perfumey taste. I shared it with the three others at the table and all agreed it was terrible. Later the waitress agreed it looked cloudy coming out of the bottle and she didn't charge me for it. The shrimp po' boy was dry and small with probably six small shrimp for $14 - a very mediocre sandwich.

Our waitress was very friendly but once she served drinks it took so long for her to return for the lunch order that we were worried about not getting to the ballgame on time and once the order went in it took forever for the food to arrive. Granted the place was crowded at 2:00 on a Saturday, but the service was subpar.

1  Thank pegramj