“Decent Room, Never Again” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Envy Hotel
Ranked #51 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Bronx, New York, United States
“Decent Room, Never Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

I stayed two nights in the King bed room. The hotel environment was very nice, the room nicely decoratored and very clean. The price was right too. The hotel security features very good. The down side was the neighborhood. Next door there is a Burger King with an alley beside it and I was not happy to see large rats dancing around in the alley coming in at night. I did not feel safe walking in the neighborhood after dusk. A bus stop is in front of the hotel and many people are kind of hanging around talking loud. It's also very deserted, most of the businesses that are still in business were closed around 6 PM on a Friday night. I am a New Yorker who lives in the Bronx, so I'm not easily frightened. I drove into town and had to park in a lot that's 3 blocks away, carrying my luggage three blocks before I checked in, there's no space for car pull up where you can bring in your luggage. Saturday morning the elevator didn't work so I had to bring down my things down the stairs. It's a good thing I am able. Saturday night when I came in the Hotel desk clerk didn't have the keys for the towel closet, therefore I couldn't get extra towels for a late night shower.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Gail M
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Envy Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
 Thank you for taking the time to compliment our hotel and we are sincerely sorry our location did not meet your needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Vancouver, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

I got this hotel through hotels.com... I won't be coming back. The first room they tried to give me had a door that had literally been broken into-- and the repair to the door showed it would have easily been broken into again.

The hotel is right by a bus stop (literally in front of the hotel) and you get to hear the busses and honking all day/night.

The weirdest part of this hotel is the light above the bed... it is a constantly changing multi-colored strobe light. Honestly, I would get another hotel if I hadn't already paid and have to deal with the pain in the butt hotels.com people.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CJ J
Calgary, AB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

We stayed for two nights prior to leaving on a cruise. We used BW points to pay, so the price was right but I certainly wouldn't pay to stay here again.

The area is a bit sketchy and we didn't feel real comfortable being out after dark. Every time we were out we were approached by people asking for money.

The hotel is newly renovated but the workmanship is poor.

The place isn't terrible but don't expect much.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank TravelerPetunia
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Envy Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. We are committed to offering a clean, comfortable hotel room with a complimentary breakfast each morning that is fresh and offers healthy, delicious options. We look forward to having a second chance to exceed your expectations, and warmly welcome you back.
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stayed here with a co-worker for four nights while in town for a conference at the Hilton. The Hilton was far too expensive so I did my best to find a reasonably priced hotel that wasn't too far a walk away (we did not have a car during this trip.)

The Best Western at Envy (BW) showed what turned out to be a very accurate 13 minute walk from the Hilton, stadium and inner harbor.

The BW is a small hotel with small rooms. This has never bothered me at any hotel I've stayed in but if you're looking for a lot of space, be aware of that.

The staff was polite and helpful and checkin was quick. Love the room keys - you just waved it in front of a panel on the door to unlock. Beware though - there is a small $3 charge for not returning them at the end of your visit.

We had a desk, closet, small dresser -- all the typical furnishings of a hotel room. What surprised me was the mini fridge and coffee maker. Both were used on a daily basis!

The sink and hairdryer were outside the bathroom -- something I always appreciate -- and we had a large flat screen TV on the wall with a nice selection of channels.

Housekeeping came by everyday and we always returned to a tidy room.

The breakfast was another surprise. I usually think of a continental breakfast as a smattering of bagels and some coffee. However, we were offered coffee, tea, orange juice, apple juice, yogurt, mini bagels, mini donuts, toast, english muffins, milk, three kinds of cereal, sausage patties and eggs. I was able to have a protein heavy vegetarian breakfast every morning without spending a penny! Even the dining area was pleasant.

Loved the free wifi!

There is a bus stop directly outside (sometimes leads to a huge crowd right outdoors) and Walgreens and a coffee shopt are right across the street.

So - the downside: only one that I can think of and that was the bathroom. The door was a recycled room door (complete with a defunct keycard lock) and was difficult to latch closed. It also creaked and was situated about a metal panel that emitted a loud "clunk" when accidentally stepped on.... troublesome when you're sharing a room and trying not to wake the other person when getting up to shower or use the bathroom.

But the bathroom door was just one small hangup at an otherwise lovely and affordable hotel; we both very much enjoyed the stay and I would certainly consider staying on a future visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a view if you want one!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ljpolaris
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Envy Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
We are glad to hear the BEST WESTERN Plus Envy Hotel suited all your needs and you enjoyed your stay. We hope to be able to host you on your next trip to Baltimore.
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stay at the hotel for one night. This might be the cheapest rate we got in downtown Baltimore, however the service is very nice. Frontdesk is friendly and helpful, we got free breakfast and wifi which we didnot expect. the hotel is close to inner harbor, convention center. Great Experience! Definitely come back again.

Room Tip: What ever you want, just ask the frondesk. They are very helpful.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Envy Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
 Thank you for taking the time to compliment our staff and hotel the BEST WESTERN Plus Envy Hotel. We look forward to hosting you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

Very nice and good customer services! Will come back and recommended to others.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Qnhu
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

My room was pretty small, felt like a closet, had a little musty smell, the furnitures looked nice as did te amenities in the bathroom, but for something that was renovated in 2010, it had some marks around the switches and some on the walls. Breakfast was some eggs, sausages and english muffins. The staffs were friendly & courteous. Parking is a pain, although the hotel claims it has parking, it is actually a nearby (about 1/2 block) paid underground public parking.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business