“To stay and to forget - nothing special”
Review of Envy Hotel

Envy Hotel
Ranked #57 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Definitely not as many stars as stated. Basic breakfast with plastic cutlery and plates.
Good location, but the street around is dirty.
Safe deposit box promised, but doesn't exist.
Room is clean and nicely organized, although not new.
Noise may disturb your sleep if the room facing the street.
AC is also very noisy. Bed is comfortable. Business center with the printer available as well as free WiFi.

Room Tip: Room is clean and nicely organized, although not new. Noise may disturb your sleep if the room facin...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed July 21, 2011

This hotel was all and more than we anticipated. The staff was friendly , the rooms were clean. It had a microwave, frig, internet access. The breakfast was good with Belgium waffles and fruit , cereal, muffins and all the standard food such as sausage & eggs.
The free shuttle service to the harbor was great . Parking at the harbor is expensive so this was appreciated.
the pool and exercise area was good although small.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2011

So, I came to Baltimore for a conference and the hotel where the conference is being held was booked, so I found this hotel less than a block away from the conference site. My flight came in very late, and I ended up taking a cab to the hotel from the airport. As we drove up, we passed several cops telling a large mass of pedestrians (at about 1:30am) over the loud speakers on their cop cars, to GO HOME. I walked into this tiny lobby where the night clerk greeted me - by name - apparently I was the only person with reservations who had not checked in yet. He was nice enough, but I did not actually feel safe until up in my room. I laughed out loud when I opened the door though, because of the color changing wall/light fixture. It made me wonder if this was the kind of hotel that a person might rent by the hour, and if so, why was I paying so much!

I spent today at another hotel for my conference, and when I came back after dinner (before dark, because I would definitely NOT recommend walking around this neighborhood after dark), I felt a drip on my head as I passed through the room. Looking up, I noticed a wet spot on the ceiling that had not been there earlier. I turned off the AC, and a stream of water poured from the ceiling. I called the front desk to let them know there was a leak, and was assured that someone from maintenance would be "right up". That was over 2 hours ago, and I am now going to try and sleep - even though, as someone else mentioned, the AC is incredibly LOUD!!!

I would not recommend this hotel. There is no room service, and no restaurants I would feel safe walking to after dark. In fact, I don't feel safe stepping out the front door at night. I would probably not recommend ANY hotel in this area...though, the price here was way better than anything else nearby.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Dragonfly_Wings_78
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Would not recommend taking ur fam here. Rough area. Nice hotel, big room, clean, good service otherwise.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 4, 2011

This hotel is located within easy walking distance to the Inner harbor, Camden Yards and the Convention Center. The price compared to other hotels in this area was exceptional. The room, although somewhat smallish was very adequate. As mentioned in other reviews there is a bus stop right in front of this hotel. This made for people congregating on the benches and sidewalk just outside the door. I have to admit this worried my wife. She would not go down and out front without me accompanying her. I thought she was just being overly worried however there was one incident which proved her intuition may have been right. After walking 2 or 3 blocks to a nearby Dunkin' Donuts to get us coffee, I was about to reenter our hotel when a man confronted me. He yelled, "Look at you with your coffee. You must think you are @#%!%@ special". I just walked past him with out making eye contact when I felt him turning around towards me. By this time I had reached the front entrance of the hotel and just went on in without looking back. I am sure that this could happen anywhere but unfortunately it happened here and this taints my review. The staff was courteous but not overly friendly. They do provide a breakfast however we never ate it so I can't comment on that. There is a Business center on the bottom floor with 2 computers for visitor use and you can print documents for free. Parking was in a public garage located about 3/4 of a block from the hotel and ran about $24 a night.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank acidrain
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We never even made it inside this place. We went to DC, Gettysburg, and Baltimore for a trip and my graduation. I thought it would be great to stay in downtown Baltimore, so I checked on this place. The other reviews were so-so; therefore, I called and asked them about the safety and parking. I was assured that the area was safe and that parking was across the street. We passed it up the first time because the sign is so small and it is crammed next to a dry cleaner. As we drove past, we went into a very sketchy part of town that made us pretty nervous ( if we were only staying there it would not have been an issue, but the area was on our route to the harbor that we would have been walking). So we finally found it, and my wife jumped out only to meet the front desk clerk coming out of the door. My wife asked if we could check in, and the girl said, "No, I have to run down the street for 15 minutes to get something from another hotel." Then my wife asked where to park, and the lady replied " Over there somewhere but I have never parked there before so I am not sure." She then walked off. I kind of felt bad for her because she was clearly in over her head. We called and had our room canceled, after much wrangling, and went to a Hampton Inn near Camden Yards. There were a lot of people out front standing around, and the excuse that I have heard about a bus stop warrants no merit because I pulled up behind two buses and only a few people got on. It may have been okay, but based on the lack of customer service and the discovery of a sketchy area, I decided I was not going to take a risk with my family.

Room Tip: Go to the Hampton Inn near Camden!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank CoachDub
Reviewed June 21, 2011

I was visiting Baltimore for a conference and found a great price for this hotel. It wasn't far from the conference location, within 5 blocks. Overall, it was a nice stay. The hotel lobby was small as was the room. The hotel was updated with new carpeting, bathroom fixtures, bedding and furniture. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on. The staff was friendly as they helped me with several questions about the area. One of the best things about the hotel was the breakfast. It was a hot breakfast each morning with eggs, sausage, and a waffle maker, in addition to the typical continental breakfast items such as fruit, pastries, and cereal. It was one of the best free breakfast options I have encountered.

One downside of the hotel was the area. At night, there were a few times I didn't feel completely comfortable. The staff did tell me that the "red light district" was only a couple of blocks in another direction. However, I never felt unsafe inside the hotel.

Another concern was the housekeeping. I'm not sure they cleaned my room well during my stay and I never once heard or saw a vacuum. I think they made my bed, wiped down the bathroom and provided fresh towels. They forgot to take out the trash one day.

Another downside was the local transportation options. I didn't need to use it often because I walked to the conference. However, the trip from the train was about a 20 minute walk and can seem longer when carrying luggage. If you stay here, pack light! Walking back to the train when leaving was more difficult because the walkway was a steady incline in that direction.

Finally, the only issue I had with the hotel facility was the heating/AC unit. It was extremely loud that sometimes you couldn't hear the television unless it was turned up very high. It was somewhat annoying when trying to sleep.

I would recommend the hotel if you are traveling alone, looking for an economic place to stay, and don't mind walking much.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business