“Never made it inside”

Ranked #55 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Panama City
“Never made it inside”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We never even made it inside this place. We went to DC, Gettysburg, and Baltimore for a trip and my graduation. I thought it would be great to stay in downtown Baltimore, so I checked on this place. The other reviews were so-so; therefore, I called and asked them about the safety and parking. I was assured that the area was safe and that parking was across the street. We passed it up the first time because the sign is so small and it is crammed next to a dry cleaner. As we drove past, we went into a very sketchy part of town that made us pretty nervous ( if we were only staying there it would not have been an issue, but the area was on our route to the harbor that we would have been walking). So we finally found it, and my wife jumped out only to meet the front desk clerk coming out of the door. My wife asked if we could check in, and the girl said, "No, I have to run down the street for 15 minutes to get something from another hotel." Then my wife asked where to park, and the lady replied " Over there somewhere but I have never parked there before so I am not sure." She then walked off. I kind of felt bad for her because she was clearly in over her head. We called and had our room canceled, after much wrangling, and went to a Hampton Inn near Camden Yards. There were a lot of people out front standing around, and the excuse that I have heard about a bus stop warrants no merit because I pulled up behind two buses and only a few people got on. It may have been okay, but based on the lack of customer service and the discovery of a sketchy area, I decided I was not going to take a risk with my family.

Room Tip: Go to the Hampton Inn near Camden!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank CoachDub

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed June 21, 2011

I was visiting Baltimore for a conference and found a great price for this hotel. It wasn't far from the conference location, within 5 blocks. Overall, it was a nice stay. The hotel lobby was small as was the room. The hotel was updated with new carpeting, bathroom fixtures, bedding and furniture. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on. The staff was friendly as they helped me with several questions about the area. One of the best things about the hotel was the breakfast. It was a hot breakfast each morning with eggs, sausage, and a waffle maker, in addition to the typical continental breakfast items such as fruit, pastries, and cereal. It was one of the best free breakfast options I have encountered.

One downside of the hotel was the area. At night, there were a few times I didn't feel completely comfortable. The staff did tell me that the "red light district" was only a couple of blocks in another direction. However, I never felt unsafe inside the hotel.

Another concern was the housekeeping. I'm not sure they cleaned my room well during my stay and I never once heard or saw a vacuum. I think they made my bed, wiped down the bathroom and provided fresh towels. They forgot to take out the trash one day.

Another downside was the local transportation options. I didn't need to use it often because I walked to the conference. However, the trip from the train was about a 20 minute walk and can seem longer when carrying luggage. If you stay here, pack light! Walking back to the train when leaving was more difficult because the walkway was a steady incline in that direction.

Finally, the only issue I had with the hotel facility was the heating/AC unit. It was extremely loud that sometimes you couldn't hear the television unless it was turned up very high. It was somewhat annoying when trying to sleep.

I would recommend the hotel if you are traveling alone, looking for an economic place to stay, and don't mind walking much.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Philadelphia
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Our only problem was that it was dark by the time we got to Baltimore and we ended up circling the block four times trying to find the hotel. Once we did find it though, everything was great. We were able to walk to the harbor and restaurants which saved us a lot when trying to find parking. Our room was very modern and comfortable with really great amenities.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
NYC
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We had intended to be in Baltimore for a weekend to attend the Preakness. Wound up only staying Friday night but were very pleased with the hotel.

True - there are people gathering in front, but as someone else pointed out, it's because it's a bus stop. We were in and out a few times, walked to and from Camden Yards & the Inner Harbor - no issues. The room was immaculate and by all appearances, brand new. While the layout was a little odd and the bathroom a little small, we were more than pleased. Very comfortable bed, nice wall mounted flat screen, free wi-fi, etc. Didn't get to try the breakfast so I can't speak to that. My only negative would be that the curtains stop just a little to short - letting lots of sunshine in a little earlier than I would have liked. Next time - because we definitely will stay here again - I'll just remember to put a towel on the sill before going to sleep.

Staff on check in and check out were very friendly and helpful. When we were leaving, we asked if she knew how to get to another hotel where we were meeting friends. Within minutes she'd check it online and printed the directions for us. Definitely a good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LOCommishNY
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed April 29, 2011

My boyfriend and I wanted something within walking distance of Camden Yards and Inner Harbor but we didnt want to pay a fortune. I was not expecting such a great hotel! Very modern inside, free continental breakfast and a simple walk to many of the best locations in Baltimore. I do want to address the previuous review that said "people were loitering" outside. The hotel entrace is right by a bus stop. There were people out front WAITING FOR A BUS! The previous review made it seem unsafe but that just wasnt the case. There is a 24 hour parking garage at the end of the block and a coffee shop right across the street. The location is ideal. I will definitely stay here again when visiting Baltimore.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank map22
Ranson, West Virginia
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We stayed at this hotel to attend a show at a local club. I choose the hotel because it was in close to the Metro station. Upon arriving at the hotel it was dark. It is in the downtown streets of Baltimore, their were people loitering outside. We stopped in front so my husband could go in and ask where we were supposed to park. He found the desk clerk sitting in the lobby watching TV & talking on her phone. She told him we had to park down the block in the parking garage, we are not used to being in the city and were not overly comfortable with that.

We checked in using a BW Travel Card. The desk clerk was confused by this, which was understandable as she said the hotel had only been open for a couple weeks. I was impressed with the room, EVERYTHING NEW. However, it looked like it had not been vacuumed. The bathroom door was strange, kind of like a vault door. We found out later that the building used to be a radio station.

We decided to take a cab to the show because we weren't comfortable walking in this neighborhood so late at night. We got a good night sleep. I was disappointed with the breakfast. It looked like they had the set up for a Deluxe Continental, but there were only breads, a few pieces of fruit and enough cereal for maybe 2 bowls. I think it just wasn't stocked.

We were delayed in checking out because they still hadn't straightened out the issue with the Travel Card. The desk clerk seemed inclined to just give it back to me and let me deal with it later. She finally figured it out and we were able to pay the balance and check out.

The hotel is nice it's too bad it's not in a better location.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MyHonestThoughts
new york
Reviewed December 3, 2010

I really like this NEW HOTEL. Very unite, their bed is huge and comfortable. This hotel is just open, like the amenities that they have. will stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple