“Stay away. Far, far away.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of CR Lounge

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Centre Street
Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stay away. Far, far away.”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I (forgetting to check trip advisor) thought that Creme seemed like a decent place from their website and a few other reviews we found. We made reservations for New Years Eve dinner. We are easy-going, fun-loving people. Despite everything being awful about this place, we had a sense of humor about it all. In list form (otherwise I could go on for pages and pages why you should stay far, far away from this place), here are the things that went wrong with our experience:

1. Our waiter was drunk. Now, we had a few drinks ourselves. We weren't drunk at all, but if we, a little buzzed, could tell in the dank, dark recesses of this restaurant that our waiter was drunk, then you KNOW he was wasted.

2. We were excited to see live music was setting up. Looked like some cool jazz players. And they were... but with a bizarre soprano opera singer fronting them. So strange, loud and distracting.

3. Our drunk waiter knew nothing of the limited menu. My husband asked what was the 'meat' of the 'meat and potatoes' option. He told him it was a NY Strip. He ordered it and got braised short ribs.

4. After about 40 minutes, our drunk waiter came over and asked us if we wanted our salads which were INCLUDED in the new years package. Yes, we did want them. But should have skipped it. Wilted greens in a vinaigrette no better than Paul Newman makes. That's all. Nothing else but a plate of soggy, wilted greens doused in vinegar.

5. I ordered surf and turf. Asked for my steak medium. It was well done and the lobster tail was mushy. Our drunk waiter asked me to cut into my steak, which he watched me struggle to do with the butter knife provided. It was way too dark to tell anything, so I said it was fine. I then had to go to the bar and ask for a steak knife.

6. If you like salt and have never considered any other seasoning before, by all means, eat at Creme. Everything on my plate tasted exactly the same. Salty. Very, very salty.

7. The strawberry shortcake tasted like the chef crumbled up a strawberry breakfast bar, put cool whip on it and set it under a heat lamp. Inedible.

8. The one bright, shining moment was the fact that our drunk waiter apparently didn't know how to use the computer system. When we got our bill, it was $44. He charged us for our drinks and my upgrade to the surf and turf, but not our dinners. We are honest people. If we had had anything close to a good experience, we absolutely would have pointed out the mistake and paid the full price. Especially my honest-almost-to-a-fault husband. He's such a goody-goody. When even he suggested we drop $60 and leave, I knew I shouldn't feel bad about this divine act of instant karma that worked out in our favor.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank CB2013

Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent food..yet to be discovered”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

After reading an excellent review we ventured to CR lounge and we were not disappointed. The service was excellent.The food was well prepared and delicious. Risotto /shrimp appetizer a must. it was not crowded. Think they would draw more patrons if the menu was varied and they had some lite faire. We would definitely return
Joanne and friends.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank joanne m
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I read the review below me and felt I needed to post one too because the experience I had was nothing like what she has listed below. Everything was perfect, I had a friend visiting and I've seen and wanted to try CR Lounge and so I decided her visit was a great opportunity to go. I know it's a new restaurant so I'm thinking that kinks were being worked out when the woman below visited in Nov 2010 so maybe that why she had the issues? Who knows, I can't say. All I know is I'm glad I didn't see that comment before I went because I probably wouldn't have gone and hindsight-me knows I would've been missing out on a great thing! I had the french toast (mouth-watering) with a side of breakfast potatoes( get it with onions yummmm!), my visiting friend had the shrimp & grits, and our other friend had the chicken & waffles....when I saw our plates I was SOOO mad I only have one stomach! The food smelled, looked, and tasted delicious...every sense was activated lol! We all tried each other foods and I can't tell you who had the better dish but I wanted all three! The atmosphere was great, its a breath-taking decor and everybody seemed to be relaxed and enjoying a beautiful Sunday. The server was very friendly and attentive. We all enjoyed ourselves and I'm so happy I found a new favorite place to eat! CR Lounge also had a HUGE bar so I'm looking forward to visiting again for there dinner and bar scene!

• Visited August 2011
East Coast of USA
“Mediocre-at-best food & the worst service in town. A three-hour ordeal.”
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We recently dined at CR Lounge with a large group of friends & I seriously doubt that any of us will ever go back. The dining room is gorgeous - if you remember Louie's or Ixia, this is the same space - but our overall experience was so bad that I can't even rate the place highly for atmosphere.

It began when we noticed that one of our waiters smelled strongly of alcohol, possibly several different kinds. The other was not in a good mood, perhaps because he was tired of dealing with his colleague, but that's no reason to take it out on customers. It was inevitable that there were mistakes made in food delivery - a salad that was ordered as an entree came with the appetizers, etc. - & everything took forever to arrive. At least ninety minutes passed between the time our orders were taken & the time when we received our dinners. This was on a weeknight, mind you, with only two or three other tables occupied. Our apparently inebriated waiter made a couple of the women in our party uncomfortable by being a bit too touch-feely with them, and he also "took the liberty" of changing one friend's drink order. Yes, he brought her something she not only didn't want, but found revolting, & it took some time to get the beverage she had actually asked for. When we tried to put our evening out of its misery by asking for the check, over half an hour passed and a second request had to be made before said item arrived.

As for the food, it's Southern "comfort food" presented in trendy ways. Methinks the chef watches too many food channels on TV. A Caesar salad billed as containing "corn croutons" was actually liberally sprinkled with *cornbread* croutons... very sweet... imagine a plate of lettuce topped with tiny, stale cupcakes & you get the idea. A true shame, given that the dressing was good, though I've had better. The burger & fries were mediocre, & the lettuce on my husband's plate was far from fresh, to put it mildly. The crab cake was dry, not made with a very good grade of crabmeat, & was sitting in a puddle of weirdly sweet cream sauce. Desserts were a bit of a bright spot - the coconut cake was tasty, though I'm told Clementine's on Harford Road makes it better, & our friend who ordered the banana pudding seemed happy enough with it.

Perhaps we should have complained to the manager, but by the time he stopped at our table, the situation was beyond repair, & since the evening was intended as a friend's birthday celebration, we didn't want to be party poopers. Still, it would have been nice not to be forced to give a gratuity for such rude & incompetent service. Yes, that's common practice for large parties, but a tip is still supposed to be an "extra" based on performance, not something one receives for (just barely) doing one's job.

1 Thank foodiecat