“Interesting location and decor but limited menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mr. Rain's Fun House - CLOSED

Mr. Rain's Fun House
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Federal Hill
Akron, Ohio
“Interesting location and decor but limited menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Mr. Rain's Fun House is a nice restaurant with a distinct feel. Its menu is limited and eclectic. To most diners, it will be hit or miss. This is not to say that the food isn't good or nicely prepared, because it was. The service was also very friendly and not rushed.

Visited April 2013

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Funhouse Funtastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Stellar meal! I've been for lunch a few times and it was good but our dinners were all excellent! Started with pickles- they were varried- carrots, turnips, radishes, cucumber tho not plentiful. I had the hanger steak- fine cut the whiskey sauce really added to flavor w/out being overwhelming. Very ample portion, especially with ample side of potato- au' gratin(ish) and Brussel Sprouts which were pretty plain. Others in the party had the trout, shrimp w/ Kimchi and lamb. Again, all delicious and ample. Shared the Sangria Sampler- refreshing, unique & flavorful. No desserts- only had two listed I believe- planned to go elsewhere although I'm sure they were delicious. Service was attentive, engaging but not intrusive. Wonderful!

“Extraordinarily Eclectic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

This restaurant is terrific. Located on the third floor of Baltimore's American Visionary Art Museum (which is itself fun- check out the giant Pez dispenser collection across the hall from the restaurant), Mr. Rain's Fun House is unique in my dining experience. The menu is extremely imaginative doing riffs on contemporary American cuisine by combining ingredients from the various cultures that make up this country in ways that I would never have imagined. For example, my entree included clams, mussels, shrimp, black eyed peas, and KIMCHI. Who would have thought that this combination of flavors would be so delicious? Besides a very innovative head chef, the restaurant also has a very creative mixologist who creates hand-crafted cocktails and an on premises pastry chef. The decor is very modern that creates a welcoming feeling of openness and space. I was with a nine-person party and everyone raved about the quality of the food, drink, and friendly service. This is one of the best restaurants I have ever had the pleasure to eat at. I cannot recommend it more highly and cannot wait to return.

• Visited March 2013
Annapolis, Maryland
“Three strikes and out”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

The last 3 times I have gone to the Visionary Arts Museum, I have eaten at Mr. Rains Fun House, because of the convenience and the hope it will have improved. It has just gotten worse. I had lunch today with some family and I will not go back. My daughter and niece ordered a burger well done and they got a totally burned piece of meat. Pretty inedible. I had the trout sandwich and they had burned stripes on the bread where they had put it on the grill. Nothing tasted good except the french fries and the pretzel appetizers. And the prices are way out of line for the quality. The place has potential but can't seem to live up to it. The owners did a much better job when they ran Sputnick Cafe in Annapolis.

• Visited March 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Mr Rain's NOT so fun house-- a stormy experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

To celebrate a family birthday, we made a reservation for 5:30pm on a Sunday for 13 people, with kids. It was a very disappointing experience overall.

It took 15 minutes just to get water, and after another long wait the drinks began to arrive, but the server only brought 2 at a time, with a long lag time in between. A $9 Martini had a baffling charge of $2 added to it, the $11 Manhattans also had $2 additional charges on them. The drinks were expensive and tiny portions for that price. It took 45 minutes before our order was taken.

The tuna tartare and the home made pickle appetizers were very good and innovative but were unable to compensate for the rest of the meal. The children's grilled cheese dinners were brought out promptly but the bread was burnt on one side. We had to request the bread for our table and when it came out, it was a laughably tiny basket for a party of 13 people. To be fair, our server did bring us more bread eventually, but she had to be asked. She was barely attentive to our needs, although she did communicate to the kitchen the allergy concerns from some members of our party.

The entrees were disappointing: the carrots were burnt on the chicken dish, the "horseradish" sauce on the underseasoned prime rib was nothing more than flour and water. Requesting salt and pepper shakers resulted in bowls of salt and pepper being brought to the table after another inexplicably long delay. We joked that they had sent someone to Lexington Market to get salt and pepper, and asked for the check before dessert was even offered.

After we had received our check the manager came out to apologize. It was much too late to bring complimentary glasses of champagne, since half of our party had abandoned the table and gone home by then. There was nobody left to celebrate a birthday with. No reason to ever go back there again. Drinks, dinner (without dessert) took 2.5 hrs for $500 before any tip was added.

I love the AVAM for showcasing untrained artists' work but showcasing an amateurish attempt at restaurant service is inexcusable.

• Visited February 2013