“I've had much better bar food elsewhere”

Mother's Federal Hill Grille
Ranked #196 of 2,054 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Federal Hill
Cross street: Cross Street
Description: Mothers is a family run neighborhood tavern. Established in 1997, Mothers has won a number of awards including best burger, best sportsbar and best dessert. We are a scratch kitchen. Open for breakfast on weekends. 100 beers to choose from including 20 on draft. Fresh fruit crushes and 5 types of bloody Mary's. We specialize in fresh fruit , phat crab cakes and home made burgers and wings. Try our blue cheese it's incredible. We provide catering in our private rooms and off site at your venue. We deliver to Fed hill. Mothers is home to the Purple Patio the Ravens best pre and post game party.
Reviewed July 30, 2012

A group of friends and I recently stopped by Mother's during Baltimore's restaurant week, hoping to find a new place to hang out for happy hour. Being the adventurous one in our group, I opted for the "Heart attack on a plate." Basically, it's a 8 oz. burger, stuffed with cheddar cheese, and then beer battered and fried. Clearly, given my selection, I have no issue with greasy food. In fact, greasy bar food is one of my favorite things when the mood hits me. Unfortunately, there is a difference between good greasy bar food and what was dropped in front of me at Mother's. The batter that surrounded the burger had been fried to death. It was approximately the color of dirt. Nothing golden brown about it. I bit into it, and although there was obviously a nice crunch, it just tasted like old fryer oil. I'm not sure how often they change their oil, but it hadn't been recently in this case. The burger on the inside seemed pretty good. It was juicy and well-cooked, but the batter pretty much ruined the whole thing. The fries were good, and some people at my table ordered desserts, which looked great, and in huge portions. Unfortunately for me, after eating about half of my burger, I was done, and feeling sick to my stomach.

I'd probably return to Mother's for drinks, but based on what I saw of the menu, I'd skip the food. The prices were good, as was the service, but based on my experience, I couldn't recommend the food to anyone.

1  Thank BigJerm1
There are newer reviews for Mother's Federal Hill Grille

Reviewed July 12, 2012

This restaurant comes up a lot in conversations I have with Baltimore residents, but they typically do not have much to say about the food. Known only to me as a rockin' place to party on the weekends, I decided to check it out for lunch due to a coupon I received in the Baltimore Sun Insider. Unfortunately the coupon was not accepted (entree/sandwich distinction...), but I did not mind paying full price for the lunch I received. The soft shell crab sandwich (a lunch special today) was definitely the best I have ever had. Topped with jalapeno bacon, Old Bay mayo, lettuce and tomato, the sandwich was way less messy and way more flavorful than a typical soft shell crab sandwich (if you haven't had the "typical" sandwich, don't expect much more than the crab, iceberg lettuce, a slice of tomato and white bread). My wife also enjoyed her meal, ordering the wild mushroom salad.

Service was shabby. We chose to sit outside (alone), and although the host assured us that someone would be right out, we did not see a waitress for 15 minutes (I had to head inside to get someone's attention). However, when she did recognize that she had customers on the patio, she was sweet and attentive.

Prices are reasonable. Expect to pay around $10 for a sandwich and a little less for a meal-portion salad. There are numerous daily specials. See the website for that information.

The menu is extensive with a lot of offerings named for Baltimore people or places. Quite a neat assortment.

The venue is quiet at lunchtime, as it definitely plays host primarily to a party crowd. Oh well. The party was in my mouth today.

2  Thank SrP100111
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Walked to this place from the marina where we were staying and it was worth the walk. Very nice breakfast. Large portions of food and drinks and fun menu. Got the Michael Phelps Breakfast on Saturday and The Ray Lewis Combo on Sunday. Service was fair both times but they were very busy so it was expected, and not an issue. Crowd was nice as well. I would definetly go again when in town.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

We were just walking around in the rain and happened upon this place. I had a hogie for lunch. I can't remember the name but it had Italian meats. It was really good and reasonably priced. Others in our party say the same about the food they ate.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Not the typical greasy bar food...great menu with TONS of options and quality food, especially for the cost! Tons of space too. They also have great desserts.