“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Alexandria, Virginia
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed November 30, 2010

This hotel is located in the Mount Vernon area of the city and what a gem! Beautiful newly refurbished building, convienient parking, a very warm reception, nice continental breakfast choices and secure building. Paul greeted us and made us feel welcomed, offered us a second night at a discounted rate. The 4th floor room was very clean and quiet and the bed was so comfortable. A very good deal! I look forward to returning soon.

1 Thank VaGenteelman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Korean first
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 26, 2010

We loved this place! The service at the front desk was helpful, courteous and friendly. The room was lovely, nicely appointed, spacious and very clean. The location was perfect, we liked the fact that we were in town but didn't have the normal street sounds, it was very quiet.

Only thing negative is that when we got to our room I did smell cigarette smoke. Like the last reviewer, I told the front desk since we didn't want to be charged the $250.00 fine for smoking. The smell wasn't enough to make us change our room - which they offered to do but it was clear that someone had smoked in that room in the past. They also offered to spray the room and we declined. Hmmm...seems to be a common problem...we were on the 2nd floor. Even with that minor issue, we still would stay at the Brexton again when we are visiting Baltimore.

Reviewed November 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Brexton this past weekend and I have to say I am mystified by all of the rave reviews. If this is #2 hotel in Baltimore, that's not very encouraging. We stayed in a king suite on the 6th floor; I was told when booking was one of the nicest rooms. Well, the room was just okay. It was clean, but pretty devoid of personality, with low ceilings and not much light. It felt like an attic. Everything (the linens, the microsuede couch) seemed relatively new, but still felt outdated, like it had been sitting the clearance bin at Marshall's for three years and finally found a home at this hotel.

But, whatever. So it's not the coolest place in the world. I can live with that. What bothered me more was the service. When we arrived I walked into the bathroom and it smelled very strongly of cigarette smoke. I walked out and said nothing about it, but a few minutes later my husband commented on the same thing -- that the bathroom smelled like smoke. Upon check-in I had been given a form that was very explicit in saying that it was a smoke-free hotel and we would be charged $250 for any smoking in the room (which wasn't an issue -- we are nonsmokers and allergic to cigarette smoke), so it was mystifying that there would be any smoke in the hotel. I called down to the front desk and she said she would investigate to see if anyone was smoking in a nearby room. She offered to move us to a smaller room (I can't imagine what that would have looked like), which we declined as the smell seemed isolated to the bathroom. She also said she would "give us" some odor neutralizer for the problem. It seemed she was implying that I should spray down the bathroom myself, though this was never made explicit. I explained that we were leaving the hotel to grab some lunch but that she could feel free to access our room while we were gone to try to solve the problem.

When we returned about an hour later, the room smelled strongly of scented fragrance spray, which is very different from "neutralizing" spray. Ugh. It smelled even worse than before. We quickly headed out to our next function, grateful to escape the room.

Later that night we came back to our room with a bottle of wine in hand. My husband asked the front desk for a bottle opener and they said they didn't have one. At a hotel. No bottle opener. I mean, are you kidding? A wine opener would cost them less than $10. They suggested he walk over to the bar across the street and ask them to open it for us. She made it sound like this is something that they do all the time (ask guests to go across the street and have their wine bottles opened by the bar) which again begs the question: why don't they simply have bottle openers at the hotel?

So, he walked over to the bar and they opened the bottle (though the bartender definitely made fun of him). It was just one the silliest, most mystifying moments of customer service idiocy we've ever experienced. As another reviewer said, the two women who worked the front desk were always pleasant and smiling but they seemed to have no problem-solving skills whatsoever. The lights are on but no one is home.

So no, I do not recommend this hotel. I like boutique hotels as a rule and prefer them over chains, as they tend to have charm and a feeling of specialness, but in this instance there was none of the hoped-for charm (except for the exterior of the building, which is quite lovely), and a complete lack of any customer-service known-how. Pick someplace else!

1 Thank brookjenn
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Hotel staff was friendly. Room was clean and updated. The bed was extremely comfortable...got a great night's sleep! The hotel offers free parking...it was street parking, but we had no problems.

1 Thank ame81
Sumter, South Carolina
Reviewed November 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Brexton for our honeymoon weekend to Baltimore, MD. I honestly would not stay anywhere else BUT Hotel Brexton after our stay. First off, after about 30 minutes of being lost in Baltimore, I call the hotel and they actually stayed on the phone for about 15 minutes with me to guide me to free parking about 20 feet from the main entrance, which was amazing. From the time we walked into the hotel until the day we left, the staff was very helpful in telling us about the great local restaurants and tourists areas to go. The few times I called the front desk for assistance, they responded swiftly everytime. One of the ladies actually called me back to see what we needed! The breakfast was really nice, not too big and just small enough to give it a warm home feel. I could not hear a thing from any of the other rooms, the sheets were nice and comfortable, and the TV was a nice modern flatscreen. I loved it. And Hotel Brexton really made my honeymoon weekend amazing. I would definitely go back. And BONUS! The hotel is three block away from a FREE bus that goes directly to the Inner Harbor. What's not to love ?

2 Thank Kiara_Colon9
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I stayed here for three nights and enjoyed myself immensely. Hotel staff was friendly and very helpful. They printed maps for me and recommended good restaurants nearby and in other parts of the city. They clearly take pride in their hotel.

The building is beautiful, and the renovation was well done. The rooms are small, but adequate. Bed is comfortable, the only criticism I have is that the cool arched window does not have a covering, and the huge spotlight from the building across the street lit up the room a bit. I would have liked the room to be darker.

The location is great. Very easy to get to the hotel via light rail from the airport, although I did have a hard time finding the hotel until I asked someone. There's also a free city bus shuttle that stops within three blocks of the hotel and can take you to the Inner Harbor and points beyond. I believe that parking in the neighborhood was tight, so I was glad I didn't have a car. Mount Vernon has many nice restaurants and shops, and I felt quite safe walking around by myself.

2 Thank Nora H
Rochester, New York
Reviewed November 1, 2010

We chose the hotel for its location, which was close to our meeting place, and for the cost. You could have blown us away when we saw the rooms, which were beautifully appointed--bathrooms were very upscale with vessel sinks and great lighting, bedding was terrific, wonderful single coffee makers,--but we really weren't prepared for the staff and service that we received. Paul, the General Manager, takes customer service to a new level, and the rest of the staff clearly follow his example. Where did they come from??? I don't think I've ever--and I have traveled extensively--experienced such personal excellence from staff in a hotel. We needed to have the feather pillows replaced for health reasons and when they couldn't find any (it's a small hotel), they sent out for them. They were delivered by the time we came in from dinner! One small oversight--we did not get our wake up call as requested. Had we been there another night, we would have made sure we asked for it during day hours. Breakfast was good--excellent coffee/cappucino, pastries, fruit, yogurt. If you like small, boutique hotels that don't cost an arm and a leg, this place is for you. Don't let the lobby fool you.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business