“Honesty is Never Negotiable”
Review of Hotel Brexton

Hotel Brexton
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Lititz, Pennsylvania
“Honesty is Never Negotiable”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This Hotel continues to steal peoples money by offering hotel rooms on Living Social and then not allowing anyone to book a room. I can't review the hotel because even though the hotel was happy to take my $179 Dollars/night, they were not willing to offer us a room. We offered 5 months of weekends and not one was available. Not one. And then we continue to see this man offer Living Social Deals.

I don't care if this is a nice place to stay (from other reviews that is debatable) but for me, Honesty is not Negotiable. Stay Away from getting mugged by this disreputable hotel. Shame on them.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rembrandt60
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
I am truly sorry you were unable to make a reservation for the weekend of your choice. Living Social vouchers have restrictions showing that they are subject to availability and we have a limit of how many we can take per day. These vouchers are valid for any day of the week but for some reason majority of the holders would like to use them over the weekend, which happens to be very busy. We are always flexible to give alternative weekends that we can confirm, but for those that have fixed dates and we don’t have availability it becomes hard to accommodate them. In your case we gave an alternative weekend date that we had availability, but it could not work for you. We are still willing to accept your voucher. We are truly sorry for this.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Korean first
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I had my heart set on this Hotel Brexton since we decided to take a trip to Baltimore; boutique hotels always feel cozier than chain varieties and more private than a B&B. The exterior is breathtaking, every little detail is worth noticing. The building is secure and the service is great. We were pleased with our room, we had a great view and enjoyed the spacious bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and it was nice to have a mini fridge & Keurig coffee maker in our room. I felt very safe here and could walk to several restaurants/bars around the area. The one caveat is the parking; if the hotel is busy, it's hard to get a parking spot. All in all, I look forward to returning!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. We take great pride in our hotel, and we are so pleased to know you felt right at home with us. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon!
Richmond VA
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Hotel Brexton, in the lovely Mt. Vernon neighborhood, is the perfect location for us in Baltimore, tucked away on a quiet side street away from the touristy Inner Harbor, close to great restaurants (and The Brewer's Art!), and an easy walk to many attractions and to the free Circulator bus route. So we were eager to try the Brexton for a weekend get-together with friends, and took advantage of a Travelzoo special to do so.
Everything about this place seemed mixed. The desk staff was very helpful and friendly, but the lobby cramped and cluttered. Our 4th floor room, with a nice view, was bright, spacious, and stylish with comfortable linens and a well-appointed bath (Gilchrist & Soames toiletries) But the cheap dresser and bedside tables were already scratched and had badly marred surfaces, which detracted from the overall ambience. There is no free WIFI, which even mid-range chains always offer, and which should certainly be available in a hotel advertising itself as a "luxury boutique" hotel. The in-the-room coffee was great (Keurig, enough for 2 cups each), but the basement breakfast room was dark and cramped, and the offerings certainly not up to par: bright green bananas, dry cereal, Yoplait, and plastic-wrapped bagels. (We went out.) We arrived around noon on a Saturday, which meant we were able to snag one of the four free first-come, first-serve parking places in front, a big plus, since we didn't need to move it until we checked out.
Baltimore has always been a tough hotel town, so the Brexton stacks up well in comparison with other hotels in the city, but is inconsistent and not up to the standards of other Historic Hotels of America or boutique hotels in general. Nevertheless, since it's a great location and a good value for Baltimore, we'll be back.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel gets a great view of the Belvidere; back is dead quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts about our hotel. We are so pleased to hear you will be returning. We will be sure to evaluate the guest room furniture to ensure they are up to quality. Thank you again, and we look forward to your return!
Croton on Hudson, New York
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Room was nice enough, but nothing makes up for the fact that they do not provide adequate heating! The room thermostat was set at 80, but it was nowhere near that in the room. Somehow we managed to stay warm under the covers, but that's not was prompted my bad review - the bathroom was totally unheated, and therefore was as cold as an ICEBOX. We kept the door closed so as to keep as much heat as possible in the sleeping area, but each time we had to use the bathroom it was like walking into an ICEBOX. In the morning I woke up early and called the front desk to ask them to bring a portable heater - the guy told me that "it's an old hotel, so it's to be expected", but he would try to see if he could call housekeeping and get us a portable heater. In the meantime he told us to turn on the hot water to heat up the bathroom in that way. The heater never came, and needless to say, all the surfaces in the bathroom became sopping wet. When I finally had enough and got dressed and went to the front desk I was told that the "night guy" was gone. The new guy opened a closet next to front desk, took out a heater and came to our room and plugged it in. In addition, the coffee machine was broken, and there was no shampoo in the bathroom, which I would normally just shrug off if it wasn't for the fact that I am so upset about the bathroom situation. For what they charge for a room, I could have stayed at the Marriott or other some such, and gotten my money's worth at least.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank jojokon
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
I sincerely apologize for all of these problems, and can assure you this matter will be looked into so another guest doesn't have to go through such an ordeal. Please feel free to contact me to discuss this matter further. Your experience is not indicative of the high standards of service to which we hold ourselves.
washington
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed for one night this weekend to get away... the renovated rooms are excellent and the space is very nice. The breakfast was OK as well. The location is great, very close to bars, restaurants, etc...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Audrey R
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We are happy to hear you found our location to be very ideal. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
New York
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Booked this online and got a great rate and really enjoyed our stay. The building itself is really cool with turrets and a brick facade and it's close to some really charming streets with little townhouses, beautiful old churches and lots of cultural activities. Mt. Vernon is an elegant old Baltimore neighborhood and it's a nice alternative to the chain stores and chain hotels of the Inner Harbor. Our room was clean and renovated with a comfortable bed and decent bathroom. Flat screen TV and nice furnishings with a modern feel. We were on the second floor and overlooked a beautiful little city street with lovely small townhouses. The staff was friendly and breakfast was included, although we didn't take advantage of it. The offerings looked fine, but nothing special.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We take great pride in the charm and character our hotel offers. We look forward to your return soon!
Lancaster, Pa
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was scheduled to stay at this hotel on Sunday Dec 9. Our plans changed and I called to cancel on Fri Dec 7 at 3:00 and left a message. The internet confirmation stated I needed to call 48 hrs in advance to cancel the reservation. Check in was not before 3:00 so I assumed I could call at that time. They returned my call and told me in order to cancel it I would have need to call earlier in the day. In a follow up call I spoke with the manager and he stated I would have needed to call before 12:00 on Dec 7 and that the 48 hrs started at that time. They charged me for the room and refused to refund it. I was really pissed in that first, as per confirmation I " needed to call 48 hrs prior to arrival". If I wasn't able to check in until 3:00 then how could the 48 hr time start at midnight the night on the Fri before. Second, they were incredibly rude about it. I will never ever stay there nor recommend any one else to. I do a lot of travel and never had such a ridiculous experience as this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank J S
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing your frustration in regards to our handling of your situation when you called to cancel a reservation outside the cancelation period. We do value all our guests and even when they try to cancel last minute we work with them and make exception to use their credit for a future stay. We always extend credit for use by our guests whenever an emergency occurs and in your case, I will be more than happy to assist you. Kindly feel free to contact the General Manager whenever you get a chance so that we can work with you on your issue.