“Excellent Stay at Hotel Brexton”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Brexton

Hotel Brexton
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Excellent Stay at Hotel Brexton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

My girlfriend and I had an excellent stay at Hotel Brexton, using the Living Social deal we purchased. We were lucky enough to get a parking spot right in front of the door, otherwise that would have been our only complaint. We walked to the Aquarium, which took about 30 minutes and back, it was an easy walk for us but had it been raining we would have taken advantage of the free bus ride there. Our room was beautiful, we even loved the rugs, but the refrigerator and couch were bonus's we didn't expect. The bathroom was great and roomy and the shower roomy enough for one.
The staff was extremely pleasant and gracious.
We were both extremely happy with the hotel and our stay, we will return to Hotel Brexton and maybe even check out the king suite.
Thank you, Paul and your staff for taking such good care of the hotel and us.
Jen and Jenna

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

We recently stayed at the Brexton for 2 nights with a LivingSocial we had purchased. The hotel was very nicely renovated, and they did a nice job of taking advantage of the unique features of the building and making the most of the space in the rooms. As far as our stay goes, here a few things I would note:

* the staff was very friendly and welcoming
* breakfast was offered each morning, but not much of a selection -- a few cereals, bagels/muffins, yogurt and some fruit (the breakfast room was very nice though!)
* there were only approx. 6 parking spots available, but parking wasn't an issue because we believe there were only a few people staying there
* room was clean and cool, our view was not :o\ (you would think with only a few rooms occupied that they would give us a room with a nicer view than the dirty 'apartment' living out back...we just kept our blinds closed so it didn't bother us)
* location -- not bad, we drove to the harbor (took approx. 10 min with traffic) but there is a free shuttle nearby that you can also take. I'm not sure it would be a very enjoyable walk, but it would be doable (maybe 15-20 min?)
* not a big deal to us, but the elevator was by far the slowest I have ever seen! We are young, and didn't mind, so we just took the stairs each time.

While we had a nice stay, I can say that I don't think we will be returning. My biggest pet peeve with this hotel is the inflated rates. I was amazed to find how much they ask per night at this place! It is nice, but nothing extraordinary? Anyone can stay a night or two right at the harbor for the price they list AND get a better place to stay for the money. I am by far not crazy picky when it comes to a place to stay, but I do believe in getting what is appropriate for your money. I would honestly not pay more than a hundred a night to stay in a place comparable to this. I think if the pricing were adjusted, they would really see a business boom and start filling the place regularly!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Roseygrl
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Just stayed in the Kind Edward Suite at the Hotel Brexton in the Mt Vernon neighborhood of Baltimore while visiting some colleges with my son. The suite was a great up-grade (thanks Paul, Milton and Ebony for your other kindnesses as well!) and we felt the history related to the building, which has been beautifully restored, having been the family home of Wallis Simpson. Cool! We'll definitely be regulars at the Hotel Brexton if my son gets into Johns Hopkins (fingers crossed!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Patty L
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

After reading very different reviews of the hotel, I was a little concerned about what I might find. I worried needlessly! The room - entire hotel - was very clean and quaint. The staff were pleasant and helpful.

This is a boutique hotel, not a major chain. That has its pros and cons. I liked the unique features of this historic site including the tiny elevator!

My room had a couple bubbled pressboard pieces of furniture. The quality of the bedside tables and desk didn't bother me. The bed was very comfortable.

This hotel looks like an old castle and my bathroom was in the turret. This made for a very interesting layout and I liked it.

The hotel is located in an historic part of town (Mt. Vernon) that includes both beautiful and rundown areas. The walk to the Inner Harbor is an easy 16 block walk. I enjoyed the exercise and getting a feel for the non-tourist areas of Baltimore. Sure, there are some homeless folks but no more than any other big city.

So if you want unique and historic as opposed to a cookie cutter chain and you want to experience a non-tourist area of Baltimore, Hotel Brexton is for you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Mpparis
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed here with the Living Social deal and were hoping to use it for a long weekend, but there was no availability. We opted for coming up just before July 4 and had a pleasant stay. The Mt. Vernon neighborhood is cute with nice old houses and it's near the University of Baltimore, so there are great coffeehouses and restaurants nearby. We used the free Charm City Circulator bus to get around and it was about 3 blocks to the bus stop. Also, it's a short walk from the train station, which is convenient. The hotel was clean with nice staff and a good breakfast: a sweet coffee machine with a bunch of different options, croissants, bagels, yogurt, fruit, etc. We got a free bottle of wine with our deal and enjoyed it on the patio near the parking area after the sun went down and it was cooler.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank msmolins
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

This was the best stay I have ever had in all my years of traveling. When I arrived at the Brexton, there was no parking but as soon as I walked in and spoke to Milton, he immediately gave me a parking space and checked me into my room. During my seven days stay at this Hotel, I managed to meet with different staff members and each time I was met with warmth and a smile. They were very genuine and showed that they cared. The Coffee Machine in their Café was to die for, I was having close to five cups a day of coffee, and this Machine was grinding the beans while you wait and hence guaranteeing you a fresh cup each time. They also had the best continental breakfast you will ever find elsewhere. It was nice and simple. The rooms were very clean and I loved the beds, I had the greatest experience in a bed away from home and I certainly commend the staff and management of this hotel. The showers were great, normal standard and in general I enjoyed my stay and I would highly return and recommend this Hotel. They have a great Staff, like Esther who looked like a student and very polite, Paul the Manager, always greeting you with a smile and asking if there was anything else that he might do for you, Milton and Melody, very good with direction and always recommended a great restaurant within walking distance.

Room Tip: Corner Rooms are great and especially their Superior Queen room are larger with a Sleep Sofa and a f...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nyaks2010
, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Valued guest. Thank you for the kind words. It’s great to know that you were happy with your stay and we look forward to hosting you again in future.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

The location is in a 'seedy' part of town. All rooms have small stand-in showers only with no tub. Room decorated with cheap quality - i.e. shower door does not shut properly. Rooms have bugs/roaches - Saw a couple go heough my bed while staying there. Disgusting! Dirty linens are re-used on the bed from previous guests (see picture). Don't trust the advertisement - misrepresented. The general manager Paul Masai walks around with a 'I couldn't care less' attitude and very defensive - never gets back to you if you have a special request or a complaint. And dont trust his answers or promises, nothing gets done. Runs the hotel as a total mercenary - very poor service. Depends on which staff you ask, you will get completely different and opposite answers to simple factual questions. Common bfast area so small... Worst coffee ever. Would not return or recommend staying here. There are better alternatives and better value for your money.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Ezonthego
, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
We feel that you were treated with respect and handled as a valued guest like we do with every guest. My staff is empowered to make decisions and do what’s best for the guest and in your situation this was demonstrated very well when you 1st checked into the hotel. You reserved a Deluxe Queen room and on check in, you came back to the desk and requested that my agent allocate you a Superior room with a Sleep Sofa and Fridge. She went ahead and honored your request giving you a room that was costing $100 more than what you had reserved at no extra charge. I got the chance to meet you daily in the morning as you left for the day and each time I asked you if everything was going well and you responded “yes, I will be out the whole day please have my room refreshed”. I personally handled your request and made sure that your beddings were changed daily. At no point did you raise any issues and you always walked out with our free nice cup of coffee in a to-go cup and I believe that you did like the coffee Contrary to what you just said.
A day before your departure, you asked one of my staff members to give you a late check out and they offered you a free late check out for 2:00pm as we would do for any other guest. I understand you wanted more time and you spoke to my assistant the following day. She advised you the same and when you insisted, she offered you a half day charge for a 6:00pm check out. That was not good enough for you and that’s when they referred you to me. I met with you that morning of your departure and I mentioned to you that all the rooms were fully booked and that we are unable to offer a 7:00pm check out. You demanded and wanted it free too, so I decided to accommodate you at a half day charge, I extended your room for 7:00pm check out, I also advised you that a guest will be occupying that room later that night due to the fact that a lot of people were looking for a place to stay after most of the areas lost power. We agreed that you will have checked out by 7:00pm and I arranged for my housekeeping staff to return and clean the room making it ready for the next guest. By 9:00pm I received a call that you were still in the room and hence I had to make alternative arrangements for the guest that was scheduled to checking in by 10:30pm. You checked out a few minutes past Midnight and when my agent advised you that you would be charged for the night, you threatened to portray us negatively on trip advisor and other sites. He advised you that it was against trip advisor rules and that we are not able to offer a free room in exchange of a positive review and I see you never wasted anytime to do what you promised to. If any of what you have said was correct, I don’t think you would have occupied that same room for a week like you did.
In general I believe we provided you with a clean and great room, treated you with respect and did the best we could to accommodate you. I know that it’s not easy to make everyone happy but we went above and beyond. You are free to try us again in future and we are sorry that you felt that we never met your expectations.