“Great hotel with a staff like family!”
Review of Hotel Brexton

Hotel Brexton
Ranked #33 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I just returned yesterday from a 10-day stay in Baltimore, where the Hotel Brexton was my home away from home while my husband underwent major surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Paul and the entire team just couldn't have been nicer, more accommodating, helpful, thoughtful and caring. They were my support system during a very tough few days. I cannot thank them enough for their kind words of encouragement and support during my stay. This hotel is fabulous - a gorgeous architectural landmark in the cool Mt. Vernon neighborhood. The rooms are lovely - and they're all different and beautifully appointed. There are in-room Keurigs, but there's also a fancy Van Houtte coffee machine in the lower level lounge area where free continental breakfast is convenient and healthy. There's free street parking right in front of the hotel. Fantastic neighborhood dining gems like Marie Louise Bistro, Brewer's Art, Sotto Sopra, and City Cafe are easily walkable from the Hotel Brexton. We will return in a month for a follow-up appointment with the surgeon, and we will definitely stay at the Hotel Brexton again then, and on future Baltimore trips. I highly recommend this great hotel!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 11, 2011

The Hotel Brexton has history, class and a great location in Baltimore's Mt. Vernon district. There are a number of charming, old row houses in the immediate neighborhood that have been lovingly restored, which, of course, adds to the charm of the hotel itself. And there are a variety shops and restaurants within a few blocks of the front door. The Brexton's rooms are spacious and clean. And the staff is about as helpful and accomodating as one could wish. There's a certain ambiance about this hotel that makes you look forward to staying there. We have stayed there twice, and we will defintely stay there again.

Room Tip: The southernmost rooms look both east and west.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Stayed for three nights on a business trip in this elegantly restored Victorian hotel in downtown Baltimore. The room was restored with a modern touch and was extremely comfortable. The staff were helpful and obliging regarding the smallest detail.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Cyndi3
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights at Hotel Brexton on a quick trip through Baltimore. We were pleased about every part of this stay! It was in a great location and easy to find. Our room was clean, comfortable and very well-decorated. The hotel staff was always very nice and happy to see us. My favorite part was the fantastic coffee bar downstairs all day! When we return to Baltimore, we will without a doubt return to Hotel Brexton!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2011

On the exterior of the building, under the sign that reads "Brexton Hotel" is another one that reads "A Reality." No one could explain this to me.

This property's been tastefully restored, the rooms are minimalistic and subdued, and the service is enthusiastic and dedicated. So enthusiastic that the day we checked out our room had been made up again while we were at breakfast. Day we checked in the manager, Paul Masai, showed up with two (large) complimentary glasses of wine. Not dry enough for my companion, so I had to drink both of them.

Worth mentioning is that the clientele here seem pretty refined and polite. (I don't necessarily mean to include myself in this category). And if you've ever had to share a hotel with misbehaving adults, you'll know how important that is. Even the guy who mistakenly entered our room offered humble and gracious apologies.

The location is unparalleled. A ten minute walk to the Walters, the Meyerhoff is just around the corner, the light rail line is a block or two away. I think the Amtrak station (Penn Station) is also nearby.

Problem is, you're in Baltimore. Thirty-odd years ago the ambitious Rouse-engineered project down at the harbor was supposed to breathe life back into this town. It hasn't happened. There are a few isolated neighborhoods worth visiting, like Federal Hill, upper Charles Street, and maybe John Waters' Hampden. But most of the remainder is a grim, empty cityscape minus the urban pulse. Beyond the water's edge concrete periphery of the Harborplace themepark with its chain restaurants and sports venues, and the watering places of gentrified, yuppified Fell's Point, there isn't much.

Even among the grit, crime, grime, and slime, Charm City had more to offer prior to three decades of urban planning, infrastructure improvements, and oodles of public incentives, much of it funded by taxpayers. Too bad. It could have been so nice.

Room Tip: Ask for the tower
Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Exspecto
Reviewed April 7, 2011

I have never written a review of a hotel before, but I received such outstanding customer service while at the Hotel Brexton that I feel compelled to do so. I recently stayed two nights there while in town on business. My first experience of this was upon my arrival. Upon pulling up to the hotel, I found that all of the on-street parking was taken, so I circled the block in hopes of finding something nearby. However, the "block" turned into many blocks, and soon I found myself completely turned around and unable to find my way back to the hotel. I called the hotel and spoke to Melody, the Assistant Manager, who was so incredibly patient and helpful. She stayed on the phone with me for at least 10 minutes, talking me through how to get back, and pausing with me while I waited in traffic, at stoplights, etc. Once she successfully guided me back to the hotel, the Manager came out to flag me down, move a parked car so I could take the spot, got my suitcase out of the trunk and carried it in, and held an umbrella for me, since it was pouring down rain. Wow! The next night, when I called Melody at the front desk asking for recommendations for seafood, she found an amazing restaurant for me that even offered a complimentary limo! I could have driven, obviously, but this way, I didn't have to navigate to the restaurant, find a parking space, for pay for a valet. What a treat! I had a delightful dinner and really felt like I had treated myself - even though I was there for business.

The hotel itself was lovely, too. It's very clean and modern inside, while quaint and charming on the outside. My only complaints and these are very minor was that the bathroom (in room L3) was chilly and drafty) and the housekeeper did not get to my room until I had arrived back to the hotel after being away all day (about 5:00 pm). All in all, though, it was just a superb experience, and I would recommend the Hotel Brexton to anyone. In fact, I plan to stay there whenever I return to Baltimore.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Marion64110
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Who knew? I went to Baltimore to see an old friend (of forty-five years and more). He had formerly lived there and knew his way around. He recommended the Brexton, a small hotel in a lovingly restored old brownstone, with turrets even! The decorating was inspired, the rooms fresh, the staff -- to a person -- helpful and professional. Free parking was available just outside the door. No negatives at all. ( And it helped to know that Wallis Warfield Simpson had once lived there with her mother!)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo