“Beautiful B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Newark, Delaware
“Beautiful B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at Rachael's Dowry for one night after visiting the Inner Harbor. The Ella Virginia Suite was gorgeous - the huge 4 poster bed was very comfortable and the soaking tub felt great after lots of walking during the day. The food was fabulous and our hostess was very gracious. I would highly recommend this B&B to my friends and I hope my husband and I will stay here again in warmer weather when we can explore the area more. There were several restaurants within walking distance which was very nice. We chose Frank & Nic's West End Grill because my husband loves BBQ and it was fabulous - delicious food & great service!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Livermore, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

I stayed at Rachael's Dowry this week, while on business. This is a wonderful guest house. Tish, the owner, was very welcoming and helpful. My room was immaculate. I stayed in the Randolph Room, and it was very welcoming, with a beautiful antique bed, a private shower, and a fireplace. There is just so much care in the presentation of every room, whether it was my bedroom, the library, the dining room, and the parlor. The house is also centrally located, in a neighborhood which felt safe to me, and is walking distance to downtown and the waterfront. The breakfasts were very good - yoghurt with fresh fruit, a good selection of teas and coffees, and a different, delicious hot breakfast every day. I am so glad I stayed here rather than in a generic hotel room. I'd recommend this hotel for everyone, and I'd definitely return if I went back to Baltimore.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ClaireMcF71
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

This is my second time staying at Rachel's Dowry. The next time I am in Baltimore I will stay again. The rooms are great, the food delicious and the owners delightful.
I had been in touch with Tish for a year and a half, since I was responsible for setting up a retreat for six ladies last year. When I found out I would be coming back it was the first place I tried to get a reservation, not realizing that the Ravens/Steelers would be playing Thanksgiving. We were fortunate in being able to get a room.
Convenient to walking downtown, parking on-site. Not much else to say. A lovely B & B.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the 1st floor room if you do not like stairs
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Pearl River, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Fourteen of us from our daughter's wedding group stayed at Rachael's Dowry the weekend of Oct. 9th. It was the highlight of the weekend along with the wedding venue. Everything was perfect and nothing was too much for Tish and Norman, brother and sister innkeepers. With guests arriving from D.C.,Philly and New York, Tish made many trips to open the rear gate to allow our party entry from their private parking lot. There were many repeats of house tours, explanation of which keys fitted into gates and doors without complaint and all at the same time the aroma of delicious home baked cookies wafted through the house. It was such an unforgettable experience. Can't wait to return to this immaculate and beautifully adorned home along with delicious meals and perfect hospitality.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carmel F
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

I chose this inn because it offered on-site parking, a rarity among Baltimore inns. The parking was indeed convenient, but this inn offered so much more. It's highly rated on Tripadvisor, but it actually exceeded my expectations.

For starters, Tish, who was in residence the week we stayed and who runs the inn on alternate weeks with her brother, is delightful and welcoming, and I much enjoyed talking to her during our brief stay. She surprised me with a personal call before our visit to run by a proposed menu to accommodate my partner's food allergies (homemade gluten free muffins and a special egg dish), and met us at the door with a bag of homemade gluten free cookies. Dietary restrictions are surely an inconvenience for innkeepers, and I don't expect anyone to go to great lengths, just maybe to offer something easily obtainable that someone can eat. So when they make this much of an effort, I'm impressed! And whether you have dietary restrictions or not, it does demonstrate a lot of concern for the guests. (Plus, all the food at breakfast was very good.)

The house itself is lovely, and has been restored and furnished with care. I especially liked the little library. We were staying only one night, and selected the smallest, least expensive room, the Randolph. It was delightful and, to my mind, quite spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable and there was a nice marble shower in the small, but modern bathroom. I loved the beautiful old print over the fireplace and the huge magnolia tree outside the window. I can only imagine how beautiful the view must be when the tree is in bloom. A sweet touch, the pillowcases were hand-embroidered with (magnolia?) blossoms.

I'm a big fan of courtyards and gardens tucked away in urban neighborhoods, and Rachael's Dowry has a charming bricked in courtyard with tables and chairs where you could have breakfast or hang out in warmer weather. There's also a beautifully landscaped front garden. I like to stay in bed and breakfasts to get a sense of an actual residential neighborhood, which you don't get staying in one of the big hotels. So it was a real treat to discover the Ridgely's Delight neighborhood in which this inn is located. It's a charming little neighborhood of small, nineteenth century rowhouses. (This inn itself is even older.) Great fun to walk around! We loved dinner at a small local restaurant, the Corner Bistro and Wine Bar, just a few blocks from the inn, which also had a half price wine bottle special on Saturday nights.

Baltimore has so many interesting neighborhoods and some great museums that we didn't get a chance to explore on this brief trip. Would love to come back and spend more time at Rachael's Dowry.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Randolph, the smallest, least expensive room, on the top floor and loved it. We pe...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our stay began withTish coming out in the rain to welcome us. There were home baked cookies and drinks upon our arrival. We stayed in the Ella Virginia suite, which was beautifully furnished, warm and cozy. The bathroom is large with a marble shower and separate soaking tub.
The location is walking distance to the Inner Harbor, and in an historic neighborhood with great restaurants and pubs nearby. Breakfast was gourmet and delicious. Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

All of the reviews that extol the charms of Rachael's Dowry are spot on! We recently spent three nights in the Audrey Genevieve Suite and had three good sleeps and ate three tasty breakfasts. The house is beautifully maintained and your host, Norman, is helpful and accomodating. The B&B's location is very convenient. You're moments from Camden Yards and it's an easy walk to the harbour or to Mt. Vernon or Federal Hill. Fell's Point is a bit of a hike but doable too. If you like B&B's you'll love Rachael's Dowry and if you've never stayed at a B&B this one will convert you to the experience.

Room Tip: The Audrey Genevieve Suite is quite spacious. It has a large vestibule between the bedroom and the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple