“Best experience, wanting to go back soon.”

Rachael's Dowry Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 12 Baltimore B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Seattle, Washington
“Best experience, wanting to go back soon.”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We recently stayed at Rachael's Dowry in Baltimore, and what a terrific experience. The home is beautiful in an historic neighborhood, and the owner has gone to great lengths to give it an "old world" experience. Norman, Tish and the staff were warm, gracious, interested and interesting, the made the Baltimore experience even better for us. We went on to D.C. after our stay in Baltimore, and while the hotel was beautiful and the staff there was also great it was nothing close to the time we just had at Rachael's Dowry. Even if you are not planning a trip to the Baltimore area, go just to stay in this wonderful place. And if you are planning a trip in the near future, make it so much better with a visit to Rachael's Dowry. I know I'm going back.

Brian R.,
Seattle

Room Tip: Stayed in the room to the front of the house with large windows and lots of light.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank brianr951

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed there last week-I would have to disagree with others on the comfort of the bed-I thought it was hard as a rock-After spending one night my husband and I both took Ibuprophen the next morning-The breakfast was okay-only if you like crab-my husband hated it! If I were to go back to Baltimore I'd recommend staying closer to the Inner Harbor where all the action is-it was a long walk to the restraunts and shopping-I also wasn't impressed with their recommendation of the local Bistro...it was cramped full of noisy people and the food wasn't that good:/ I couldn't wait to get out of there! We won't be back! How this place got a trip advisor number one rating is confusing to me...Not worth the $200+ nightly fee...

• Stayed July 2013
rachaelsdowrybmore, Owner at Rachael's Dowry Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
I enjoyed meeting you and talking about our commonalities with small family owned businesses. It was disappointing to hear you did not have a good experience with us. Our mattresses and pillows have different degrees of firmness and we can accommodate guests preferences if given notice. Baltimore is known for its crab. Many guests ask for crab and therefore we added a crab dish to our menu. Rachael's is not on the harbor with the other chain hotels, but in a quiet residential historic district, only six blocks from the harbor. We appreciate your input and will use your comments to provide a better stay for future guests.
Alpine, California
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Rachael's Dowry for one night on a trip to Virginia. The home is beautiful, and Norman was a wonderful host. We stayed in the Ella Virginia Suite, the room was gorgeous with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. Breakfast was lovely, and we were so close to many sights in Baltimore. We walked everywhere and had a fantastic time. Our only regret was that we could only stay one night. We are already planning another trip to Baltimore and would love to stay at Rachael's Dowry again. We highly recommend this Bed and Breakfast.

West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We were in town for a baseball game. The property is beautifully restored and maintained. Tish and Norm are fabulous hosts. The house has a parlor and library, with brandy, for relaxation. The dining room is gorgeous. Our room, the Letitia Mae Suite, was very clean and comfortable. The mattress was comfortable, the sheets were soft, just like home. Our large private bath included a shower stall and clawfoot tub for soaking. This room also has a private balcony. Breakfast consisted of juice, coffee (decaf & regular), tea, fruit compote with yogurt and granola, crab quiche and muffin the first day, and the same beverages the second day with fresh fruit and yogurt, sausage, egg bake, and a slice of nut bread. More than ample and delicious. This property is a block from Camden Yards yet you really wouldn't know you were that close as the noise is buffered. The neighborhood is lovely and Tish recommended a very nice little bistro a few blocks away for dinner. We would definitely come here for a stay in Baltimore. Bottom line is..we loved it.

Maryland
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We did an overnight at Rachel's Dowry while attending an Orioles Game. It's less than a five minutes walk from the Inn to Camden Yards Park, but the Inn itself is buffered from the craziness of the ballpark by it's quaint neighborhood, Ridgely's Delight. The owners did an amazing restoration of the property and have won lots of preservation awards for their work. Rachel's Dowry is really quite spectacular if you appreciate a finely restored historic home. Our room was comfortable and LARGE with soaring ceilings which made the room feel even larger. The public spaces are beautifully restored. The only thing more impressive than the building itself is the innkeeper: Tish was absolutely delightful.

If you want something special that is NOT your typical cookie-cutter Marriott or Hilton within walking distance to lots of Baltimore attractions Rachel's Dowry is the ticket!

San Francisco
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Lovely house and gracious hosts To illustrate, when I asked if they had any hand lotion, the owner went out and bought some for me! I was attending a meeting at the conference center and it was a bit of walk in the heat, although there's a walkway through the hotels that made it easier

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank K12345
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Rachel's Dowery to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. Everything about our stay there was perfect. The owner, Tish, was fabulous. She helped make sure everything was coordinated before we even left for our trip due to necessitating a late arrival upon landing at Baltimore. Everything about the stay was first rate. The food, the room, the location, and the service were impeccable. We would definitely stay here again when visiting Baltimore. One block away from where the Baltimore Orioles play.

• Stayed June 2013