“Wonderful accommodations, great location, helpful staff”

Rachael's Dowry Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 13 Baltimore B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Wonderful accommodations, great location, helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

We rented out the entire B&B for my mother's 65th birthday weekend. The rooms are all beautiful with modern amenities, but cozy/quaint decorations. Tish and Norm are easy to work with and Tish did a wonderful job organizing dessert and champagne for my mother after dinner. Definitely recommend for a group or couples!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but the rooms that face the stadium are louder if the Orioles are playing!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

The kids were away with grandma for the week, so I wanted to surprise my wife with a nice getaway for the 4th of July. We live outside of DC and my wife works in DC, so I wanted to go some place not too far but far enough to feel like we were not in the nation’s capital. I decided to look for a nice spot in Baltimore so that we could also enjoy the fireworks. I found Rachael’s Dowry on tripadvisor.com and wanted to see for myself why it was ranked the #1 B&B in the city.

I booked online and Tish called the next morning to provide us the details of the residence. When we arrived she knew who we were and gave us a tour of the more than 200 year old place. There was a nice welcome with cookies and brandy and we immediately had a warm feeling. We viewed some of the rooms and were able to stay in a beautifully restored Audrey Genevieve suite with a 4 poster bed. I don’t want to give away too many details but there was a mix between the new and old. You have the amenities with the TV having DirecTV, modern clock with an iPod adapter, a white noise machine, iron and even a washer/dryer (I don’t know if it is every room or for the guest but was accessible). There is also the early American charm with classical styled furniture, fixtures and artwork. What amazed me the most was how spacious the room was and how high the ceilings were, so I did not feel cramped. Outside of the room, were a dining room, library and courtyard (meals served outside as well).

Beyond the gorgeous structure was the service. Tish could not have been more accommodating. Of course she showed us around, but my wife cracked her toenail and was given peroxide, cotton balls and band-aids. We didn’t think we would be around for breakfast, but my wife left early and Tish made me a plate of fruit with yogurt, bacon and banana bread even though it wasn’t ordered (although I wish I had the full breakfast, which would have been included). There are even extras like an ice machine, internet (I think) and most important, a parking lot. Yes, they have parking in the heart of Baltimore City. I highly recommend this place for baseball/football games, conventions and most of all, a getaway from DC or any other city. You or your partner will NOT be disappointed! Trust me, I scored points:)

Room Tip: We stayed in the Audrey Genevieve suite. Spacious, ceilings and even a washer & dryer.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Rachael's Dowry is an example of an urban bed and breakfast as an outstanding and affordable alternative to the many chain hotels in the Inner Harbor/Convention Center area. The house has been lovingly restored and has a well-tended patio shaded by an ancient grandiflora magnolia. The front garden sets the house off nicely from the street. The furnishings are tasteful and well thought out. The breakfast was absolutely delicious, served by Tish who was a wonderful hostess. The house does not allow children and this is a real treat for those of us past the child-rearing age.
The innkeepers are responsive to requests and anticipate your needs. Couldn't be better.

Provo, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

We received a tour of the historical home, homemade cookies, friendly and kind management, homely feel, and quaint furnishings. Also we worried about the quiet because it is located in the city and next to the stadium, but we stayed at the same time as a baseball game and heard nothing.

We would recommend this place to anyone! It was wonderful!

Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Rachael's Dowry B&B was one of the best choices I made on a recent trip with my husband to visit seven of America's ballparks. It was "practically perfect" in every way. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast, the location, the convenience, the hospitality of the innkeeper Norman, the historical aspects of the house and the street on which it is located and much more. Our room was pristine, with lovely furnishings and top notch ammenities. For ballpark fans, it is very convenient. For tourists visiting Baltimore, there is a free shuttle service that runs up and down several major streets which means you can leave your car parked at the B&B and explore the city without having to incur parking charges. Rachael's is truly a treasure and one I plan to experience again when next I am in Baltimore.

Washington, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed here while at a conference at one of the downtown hotels. It was nice to be able to "get away" from the conference, and it was only a short, safe 5-minute walk. I primarily interacted with Norman while here and he was always pleasant, engaging, and had time to talk. He also very kindly accommodated an early arrival so that I could get to the first day of my conference. The rooms all looked very nice, the building was quiet, and with only a handful of rooms, it felt like staying at a friend's house. I will without question stay here again if I'm ever back in town for a conference and would recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Ella Virginia suite on the 3rd floor. A nice bedroom with king bed separate from large...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

My wife and I found Rachael's Dowry while looking for a place to stay while attending a conference at the convention center. We were quite pleased with everything we found at this bed and breakfast. We stayed on the 3rd floor, and while it is quite a workout walking up the stairs, it is worth it. The spacious room, shower and tub are wonderful after a busy day of walking around the Inner Harbour. The breakfast was great, and the parking was very convenient (and included in the cost of the room). It is about a 1-2 block walk to the convention center and right across the street from the 3rd base line of Camden Yards. Imagine leaving a baseball game and being in your bed 3 minutes later. It is truly amazing.

The only noise we encountered was the occasional medical helicopter flying over, as it is a few blocks away from the hospital. On the nights there were orioles games playing, you couldn't hear any game noise while inside. Even the helicopter noise was minimal, and never really disturbed us.

We read an earlier post about air conditioning issues on the 3rd floor. When we visited this month, our room had a very quiet individual room heat pump that was independently controlled. We were very comfortable, even when the outside temperature was about 95 degrees.

Tish is a great innkeeper, and is very friendly and accommodating without being overbearing..not to mention, she makes a great breakfast!

The only reason I would say that you should not stay there is so I can make sure there are rooms available the next time I go visit! :) I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and will definitely visit again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business