“The Best of Bed and Breakfast”

Rachael's Dowry Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 12 Baltimore B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Rachael's Dowry is an example of an urban bed and breakfast as an outstanding and affordable alternative to the many chain hotels in the Inner Harbor/Convention Center area. The house has been lovingly restored and has a well-tended patio shaded by an ancient grandiflora magnolia. The front garden sets the house off nicely from the street. The furnishings are tasteful and well thought out. The breakfast was absolutely delicious, served by Tish who was a wonderful hostess. The house does not allow children and this is a real treat for those of us past the child-rearing age.
The innkeepers are responsive to requests and anticipate your needs. Couldn't be better.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

We received a tour of the historical home, homemade cookies, friendly and kind management, homely feel, and quaint furnishings. Also we worried about the quiet because it is located in the city and next to the stadium, but we stayed at the same time as a baseball game and heard nothing.

We would recommend this place to anyone! It was wonderful!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Rachael's Dowry B&B was one of the best choices I made on a recent trip with my husband to visit seven of America's ballparks. It was "practically perfect" in every way. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast, the location, the convenience, the hospitality of the innkeeper Norman, the historical aspects of the house and the street on which it is located and much more. Our room was pristine, with lovely furnishings and top notch ammenities. For ballpark fans, it is very convenient. For tourists visiting Baltimore, there is a free shuttle service that runs up and down several major streets which means you can leave your car parked at the B&B and explore the city without having to incur parking charges. Rachael's is truly a treasure and one I plan to experience again when next I am in Baltimore.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed here while at a conference at one of the downtown hotels. It was nice to be able to "get away" from the conference, and it was only a short, safe 5-minute walk. I primarily interacted with Norman while here and he was always pleasant, engaging, and had time to talk. He also very kindly accommodated an early arrival so that I could get to the first day of my conference. The rooms all looked very nice, the building was quiet, and with only a handful of rooms, it felt like staying at a friend's house. I will without question stay here again if I'm ever back in town for a conference and would recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Ella Virginia suite on the 3rd floor. A nice bedroom with king bed separate from large...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My wife and I found Rachael's Dowry while looking for a place to stay while attending a conference at the convention center. We were quite pleased with everything we found at this bed and breakfast. We stayed on the 3rd floor, and while it is quite a workout walking up the stairs, it is worth it. The spacious room, shower and tub are wonderful after a busy day of walking around the Inner Harbour. The breakfast was great, and the parking was very convenient (and included in the cost of the room). It is about a 1-2 block walk to the convention center and right across the street from the 3rd base line of Camden Yards. Imagine leaving a baseball game and being in your bed 3 minutes later. It is truly amazing.

The only noise we encountered was the occasional medical helicopter flying over, as it is a few blocks away from the hospital. On the nights there were orioles games playing, you couldn't hear any game noise while inside. Even the helicopter noise was minimal, and never really disturbed us.

We read an earlier post about air conditioning issues on the 3rd floor. When we visited this month, our room had a very quiet individual room heat pump that was independently controlled. We were very comfortable, even when the outside temperature was about 95 degrees.

Tish is a great innkeeper, and is very friendly and accommodating without being overbearing..not to mention, she makes a great breakfast!

The only reason I would say that you should not stay there is so I can make sure there are rooms available the next time I go visit! :) I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and will definitely visit again.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jason T
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The location is extremely convenient, the property is clean and beautiful, the rooms large and the beds luxurious, but it was the proprietors who made our visit enjoyable.
Tish was very helpful in getting us started for the day. After a long day at the Inner Harbor and a night at Camden Yards, I wasn't feeling well. Even though it was late, Tish was very accommodating. In the morning, her concern and hot tea were appreciated. Her brother was also very helpful. This is what makes a B&B a wonderful option. You'd never get this service is a chain hotel.
Next time we visit Baltimore, we'll be coming back to Rachael's Dowry.

1  Thank CheckOffBucketList
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This B+B is close to everything downtown yet it is tucked away in a groovy little neighbourhood called Ridley's Delight. Whether you are here for Baseball, The Aquarium or for business this is a gem. Antiques..and I mean beautiful antiques...grace all the rooms. The bathroom was spotless and enormous. The host - Norman was very accomodating for my late arrival (Had to eat at Joe Squared - amazing) helpful in planning my AM run and served up a fast interesting and tasty breakfast (earlier than usual so I could make my 8AM Business Meeting) This is a great spot if you are in Baltimore for business and want to avoid the paralysing anonymity of business hotels.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business