“Good aspiring to great.”
Review of Geisha Sushi bar - CLOSED

Geisha Sushi bar
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Korean-Japanese. With a focus on Sushi and a few Korean dishes. Service was good to excellent, but we were alone so not hard to meet. My wife loved the Sushi and the Tempura (fried) ice cream. My Korean Seafood Bibimpop, in a hot pot was good, but not great. A few pieces of shrimp and a small cold section of crab was ok. One piece of squid. .. For the price I think they could have done better. Hot sake made it easier to take.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Sushi was good, saki was great, staff were fantastic! We had excellent service from the wait staff and the food was awesome.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I'm not impressed. I saw the four stars on TripAdvisor and decided to give Geisha Sushi Bar a shot. I went here for a late lunch on a weekday and also a weekday night for a friend's birthday, but I won't be coming back.

The first time I came (lunch)...
* I didn't know this was a seat yourself place. So I stood by the waiting area, waiting to be seated. Several staff passed me by, but never said anything. So I waited until the manager advised me to sit wherever.
* I'm not sure I had a dedicated server. No one provided me even a glass of water or what drinks I'd like to have. I didn't have a drink this meal.
* I placed two orders. I finished the first, and one of the staff took my plate and asked me if I wanted the check.
* Avoid the ramen. Since this is a Japanese restaurant, it was my fault for assuming it'll be genuine Japanese ramen. However, it ended up being instant ramen with cooked vegetables.

The second time I came (dinner)...
* Service was super slow, and the staff really messed up some of our orders. What was supposed to be a 1.5 dinner ended up lasting almost 3 hours.

I'll be honest. The sushi isn't bad. I definitely had better though. But service has deterred me from trying any more sushi here. Good thing Geisha Sushi Bar isn't the only restaurant that serves sushi in Baltimore.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I'm giving this place 4 stars, but there's parts of my experience here I'd rate closer to 2 stars. I started off with the shumai appetizer, which was a mistake. (And I think I made the same mistake the last time I had eaten here a few years earlier. My bad.) The shumai was fine, (nothing wrong with it) but it was clearly from the freezer and not made on the premises, and so it was very nondescript and mediocre.

I ordered their combo plate happy hour special for $15 from my main entree. It came with 5 pieces of nigiri and 2 rolls, which is kind of a mixed bag. One roll was a california roll, and was fine. I'm not a big fan of california rolls, which I find a little boring, but it was fine. The other was just an avocado roll, which was even more boring and I didn't even finish. As for the 5 pieces of nigiri, some of it was outstanding. (I actually first tried to ask the waitress which types of nigiri would be included in the special tonight. She responded that it's up the chef and it changes every night, so really there's no way to know. I'm like, ummm.... can't we just ask the chef?!!! Evidently not - I guess it's a russian roulette crap shoot type thing.) So then I asked if at least it might include yellowtail or unagi. Thank god I did that, because as a result they subbed in the yellowtail, which was outstanding - melt in your mouth good. The other pieces included red snapper, shrimp (both mediocre), another type of white fish which was very good, and the mackerel, which I normally steer clear of, because there's no bad sushi as bad as bad mackerel, but this mackerel was really good. (I suspect maybe that's why they didn't want to tell me what the 5 included, as the mackerel might scare a lot of people away.)

So all in all I'd recommend this place, as nothing I had was bad and most of it was at least pretty good, and it's a good value with the amount of food you get for the buck, but next time I come back, I'll avoid the cheaper combo plate specials and just order a bunch of yellowtail and others of my favorite types of nigiri a la carte. It won't be nearly as good a value, but it'll be a very tasty meal, because that part of the meal was outstanding.

Reviewed September 20, 2010

The sushi was simply too warm for my taste. Although the dank, dark restaurant was quite full, I would have thought the selections would have tasted fresher.