“Stay away”

B&O American Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
B&O American Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 2,073 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: West Baltimore
Transit: Charm City Circulator, Purple route: Fayette Street stop
Description: When you inherit a space as magical as the historic former Baltimore & Ohio Railroad headquarters, you've got to do it justice. We kept our building's most stunning architectural features intact while updating the space with contemporary design elements and nostalgic touches, like chairs and table lamps from original B&O dining cars. Our practices are distinctly 21st century, though, from selecting the best local produce at the farmer's market to serving cutting-edge craft cocktails to maintaining a steadfast commitment to sustainable business practices. If only train passengers from the early 1900s had it so good!
Reviewed December 30, 2010

This restaurant was a poor choice. Though some people recommended it, it was terrible. The food, special that night, short ribs were very dry and very over cooked. They were very nicely presented with greens and marinated onions, but absolutely would have been better if gravy or au jus would have been added. Really a poor choice! The Chicken dish that my partner had was tender and juicy however.
Waitress was unresponsive when meal served, never returned to even find out if it was ediblile. Most of meal was returned. It was like eating shoe leather.

Reviewed November 4, 2010

This was the fourth night of dinners on a trip through the Northeast. We collected the usual references and decided to try B & O mainly because it was in Baltimore's top 10, and because it was near our hote. Friendly welcoming staff, cordial waitress, excellent service and the cocktails and food were also very good. I was a little surprised at the lack of "atmosphere"...very wide open upstairs where we had dinner, and not a lot of ambience. Clean though, and suitable..just not the "creative" setting I'd expected knowing the history of the buildling. And only one note on the food. I had the short rib, and it was delicious, but serving atop a boat of mashed potatoes, covered with watercress..and I mean covered. The stems on the cress were tough, and the dish was pretty much uneatable..not inedible, but uneatable as presented. After scraping away the layer of watercress (it covered the entire rib so you couldn't even see the main dish ingredient) and cutting into the very tender rib , I realized that every bite of rib was going to contain a good sized dollop of mashed potatoes, whether I wanted them or not. Strongly suggest they re-construct that dish. If you order it, as for the potatoes and cress on the side. You'll thank.

Reviewed September 23, 2010

In town for a conference, I located B&O with help from a listing of restaurants in the new Bloomberg Businessweek, where it was singled out for Neapolitan-style pizzas before Ravens' games. Having now enjoyed three dinners and one lunch here, I suggest they have more to offer than pizzas! I did have a flatbread pizza, and it certainly didn't disappoint. More significant, however, is the creativeness of the menu. Finding an interesting assortment of dishes for each meal has been great fun. Chef Reidt specializes in adding creative "twists" or surprises to most of the dishes I've ordered. He does equally well with fish and meat, so either route offers interesting options. I've had only one dessert, a kind of lemon bar with blueberry sorbet ... outstanding! Other dishes I recommend are the crab salad, hamachi, steak tartare, rabbit, and pressed pork shoulder sandwich. In summary, if I lived within walking distance, I'd enjoy at least two meals a week.

1  Thank RichME
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Amazing crab cakes. The duck had was awesome. Service does needs some work. Waitress was not very attentive and there were not busy at the time we dined.

Reviewed June 13, 2010

We all have different tastes and likes but for me this restaurant was excellent. I had 4 courses and they were all creative and full of so many different flavors. It is hard to pick out one dish that was better from another but the Chicken liver mousse was just superb. The service was really good and the servers were very attentive to your needs and answered any questions I had on the food. I am here most of the week and I will be back here again, I am almost afraid to eat anywhere else as this place would be hard to beat. This is a great place for couples and I just wish I had not been without my wife.