“Excellent food!”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: West Baltimore
Transit: Charm City Circulator, Purple route: Fayette Street stop
Description: When you inherit a space as magical as the historic former Baltimore & Ohio Railroad headquarters, you've got to do it justice. We kept our building's most stunning architectural features intact while updating the space with contemporary design elements and nostalgic touches, like chairs and table lamps from original B&O dining cars. Our practices are distinctly 21st century, though, from selecting the best local produce at the farmer's market to serving cutting-edge craft cocktails to maintaining a steadfast commitment to sustainable business practices. If only train passengers from the early 1900s had it so good!
Austin, Texas
“Excellent food!”
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We recently stayed at the Hotel Monaco and had two meals at B&O Brasserie. We first went down for breakfast on Sunday morning and found the place completely empty. We were seated and served quickly. The waitress and bar tender on duty were both friendly. I ordered the lemon ricotta pancakes with vanilla whipped butter and they were wonderful. My husband had basic eggs, bacon, and homefries and proclaimed it all good. Rather than eat in the restaurant, we opted for room service Sunday night for a variety of reasons. Although we didn't get to experience the dinner time atmosphere of the restaruant itself, the food was excellent. I had the seasonal pasta, which was sweet pea ravioli topped with crawfish tails, beets, and greens. My husband had the turkey club with a side salad. We were both pleased with our meals and thought that even the room service prices were a very good value for the quality of food.

• Visited May 2011

maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“good food shoddy marketing”
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Been there twice one bad and one better experience. Bad experience: Happy hour, where the website advertises appetizers in the $5-$7 range but the menu they provided is nowhere near that range and staff professed not to be aware of advertisement. Better experience: Very nice, well paced dinner with some innovative entries/appetizers and a great desert. Without the happy hour fiasco I'd give them 4 stars.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Very hip and wow!”
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Me and my father went to B&O American Brasserie at Hotel Monaco for lunch on April 24, 2011. There is a $5 valet fee for hotel restaurant patrons. When we got there, it was amazing! A little lounge, with two bars. What I really like is that you sit in orange leather lounge chairs at your table! We sat on the first floor. There are two floors. We did not get appetizers for some reason there. Anyway, for my entree, I got Cold Smoked Salmon for $12, which is "capers / red onion / tomato / bagel / cream cheese". The bagel was plain. It was really good, and big too. I had to open my mouth wide to eat it. My father got Grilled Prawn Salad for $13, which is "romaine / lemon dressing / white anchovy / fried capers". He said that it was very good. The restaurant is pretty relaxing. The total bill was $44. I heard it was even in the paper about how good it is. I'm not surprised! Definitely coming back! I also recommend walking into the beautiful Hotel Monaco-Baltimore.

Roxbury, CT
“Good Food Small Portions”
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Good food but small portions. If you order I suggest that you order multiple dishes if you are hungry.

Dundee, Oregon
“Innovative & Memorable”
Reviewed February 20, 2011

We stumbled on B&O after reading some internet accolades and it was in close proximity to the Sheraton where we were staying. Visiting Baltimore as part of a business trip with two colleagues. The chef at B&O has created a small plates menu that will leave the diner with the challenge of choosing among unique ingredient and flavor combinations. The pairings and the presentation on a host of innovative small plates were savored and shaired. Smoked clam and white anchovy flatbreads were unique and mingled the perfect flavors. Califlower grits, were served in a mini french cast iron skillet on a magnitized board. The beet carpaccio salad artisitc palette and great seasonal flavors. The pinot noir offered by the glass was a cut above most glass list options.

On our second night we were faced with the option of expanding our horizons and opted to return to B&O as we thought it would be hard to compete. The second night surpassed the first with standouts including an artichoke bisque with confit frog leg and artichoke relish garni, perfectly cooked and seasoned pork belly, celery root roll with foie fras - asian inspired presentation with uniquely unasian flavors. A shared dessert - cinnamon profiteroles with burnt chocolate ice cream was a nice finish.

The restaurant is housed in the Kimpton Monaco hotel a fabulously restored building. Wander around after dinner to the upsatirs hip lobby and you will wish you had booked a room here.30

Visited February 2011