“My favorite Baltimore restaurant”
Review of Blue Hill Tavern

Blue Hill Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Hill Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #106 of 2,055 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Canton
Cross street: Dillon
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I went to BHT to celebrate my birthday. As usual, everything was pretty close to perfect.

Jonathon, our server, was right on point. I would highly recommend you request him to be your server. He is very attentive and really works to make your experience a good one.

I ordered the "mussels of the day" appetizer. The broth on this particular evening was soy and chili with a bit of orange juice. It was very flavorful. Usually I don't drink the broth on my mussels, but I did this time around. My wife had the calamari salad which was fried calamari rings served atop mixed greens with a bit of chili sauce on the calamari.

For our entrees, I ordered the veal hindshank and my wife had the tilefish. The meat was fall-off the-bone tender. It was served with saffron risotto and a nice sauce. The tilefish as served with romesco sauce, polenta cakes and broccolini. My wife brought the rest of her dinner home. The fish was a large portion that was cooked perfectly.

For dessert, I had the s'mores pie and my wife had the BHT sundae. Decadent is a good word for both. The restaurant has a new pastry chef and he is doing a great job.

BHT also has a good wine list with many rather inexpensive bottles.

The menu is updated regularly. It is nice to go to a restaurant that doesn't keep serving the same old things over and over.

I highly recommended BHT. Go when you have some time to enjoy a nice meal and want to be treated right.

There are newer reviews for Blue Hill Tavern

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

The nieghborhood seems to be up an coming.. So i was surprised that this place was here.. Cocktails had a nice spin on them.. Portions were larger than expected.. You def would not leave hungry! Everything was well seasoned and cooked.. Service was attentive and complete. When in area must try it.. Afterwards you can head down to fell's area and walk around.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Since BHT opened I have been a frequent guest and always enjoyed all aspects of the dining experience and always took my out of town guests there. However during my last visit this past week I was more than disappointed in the way the decor is starting to look "shabby." The finish has worn off the tables in many places w/lots of scratches. They either need to "touch up" the tables or use tablecloths. I had the crabcake platter which was okay, definitely not made with "lump" crab which I have come to expect when I go out. On the plus side, our server was polite and efficient. I left feeling like I had dined at a local "tavern" rather than a fine restaurant.I also agree with other reviews thatl the upstairs outdoor area should be open during the week.

2  Thank zeker
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I don't want to use the word "overrated" here, but I really think it applies.

I can't deny that the food on the dinner menu is good. However, I honestly don't think the price tag next to each item is justified. I've been to places just as expensive as Blue Hill Tavern, but the quality of the food and the after effects they bring bring to your taste buds are on a higher level.

Blue Hill Tavern would be a solid 4 stars if a price reduction of 25-33% was applied to their menu. The food is good and the restaurant layout is nice. If you do decide to go, try out their escargot appetizer.

1  Thank Tunaidi
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Seven women went to celebrate one's birthday during Restaurant Week. I was the only one who had been to Blue Hill before as it is one of my daughter's favorite restaurants. It is roomy and comfortable with a bit of a New York feel. All of us ended up ordering from the Restaurant Week menu. Appetizers we ordered were a watermelon, feta salad; bacon jam; escargot salad and the sweet & spicy corn soup. Each was good as we all shared tastes but the watermelon & feta salad seemed to be the hit. The bacon jam was tasty as we ordered out of curiosity -- ground mustard & bacon on saltines. Entrees ordered were the flat iron steak, almond encrusted tuna and fried soft crab. Again, all dinners were very good. The tuna was perfectly cooked and presented nicely. The soft crab was a nice size and fried with a light batter. I got the flat iron steak which came out a little more rare than I usually like but it taste so good I was very happy with it. All the desserts were wonderful and passed around -- peach melba, peanut butter candy bar, key lime pie and ice cream with chocolate chip cookies. The ice cream had 3 scoops-- one being salted caramel which was delicious. No one had one complaint -- with seven women that is pretty good! Service was good -- at times a little slow but I think he was leaving us alone to socialize. I have also had the Kobe Tavern burger which is always the best. I was a little disappointed their rooftop bar was not open during the week -- only Friday through Sunday -- as this was a beautiful night to be outside. Worth checking out. The complimentary valet parking is a big plus as we drive into the city to go to dinner. Blue Hill is just off the major city, dowtown area enough to make it easy to get to and well worth visiting!