“Unreliable shuttle, noisy by the highway, dangerous neighborhood”

Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown
Ranked #22 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I had a one-day work-related trip to Hopkins for which I chose this hotel due to the proximity and "bargain". The availability of shuttles (within 1 mile radius) figured into my decision to save on transportation and the need to avoid the local area that is known to be dangerous on foot. Unfortunately, none of that actuated. I called the hotel from the airport at 5:30pm saying that I will need the shuttle at the Convention Center light rail stop which is 5 minutes from the hotel -- the front desk clerk informed me, quite rudely, that the earliest possible would be 7:30, TWO HOURS after the call. When asked why the delay, he states that there are several guests before me, but TWO HOURS!? For a one mile radius? So I had to take a cab. On checking in, I told them I needed a RELIABLE shuttle to Hopkins Hospital the following morning at 7am for an interview and was reassured that the shuttled would be there. Come morning, I was told that the driver was "running late" and would expect 7:30, which was the time of my interview. Again, I had to take a cab, which had to be called because you would NOT want to stand on the sidewalk to hail the cab -- people have been mugged in that neighborhood in broad day light. Lastly, the hotel is next to highway 83, which is quite noisy throughout the night. In short, my reasons for staying here to be near the Hopkins Hospital with the convenience of shuttles did not materialize and I wasted much money/time/energy on cabs when I could have paid a similar rate to be in a much nice area that would have been equally accessible by cabs. The hotel falsely advertises on services it does not have. So don't make the mistake I made --- STAY ELSEWHERE.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Robert S
Hiebaltimore, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you for your comments. Given the limited seating capacity of the hotel's current shuttle (Maximum 5 passengers) we are looking to increase the size by purchasing a larger vehicle that will provide us with the capacity and flexibility to accommodate more guest at one time. This issue coupled with traffic congestion and road constructions during peak rush hour tends to create inordinate delays in meeting guest request and demands. The shuttle does operate on a schedule and it is our intent to care for the needs of all guest as we receive each request.

We are proud to partner with the local business community along with the city of Baltimore in the effort to spearhead the revitalization of the Oldtown community. The Mayor's office, Police Headquarters along with the States Attorney's office are less than a block away for the hotel. The city's Sheriff office is located just across the street from the hotel. This hotel is as safe at this location as any other hotel located anywhere in the city. There are other hotel's, shops and entertainment venues opening and/or under renovation to add to this effort.

The Holiday Inn Express Baltimore Downtown is a very well maintained, clean and safe environment in which each of our guest are encouraged to relax and enjoy themselves. Hotel staff are available always to assist in this effort. Any delay you may have experienced with the shuttle during your visit was in no way due to a lack of care, concern or consideration on the part of the staff or management because we really appreciate the opportunity to have you visit with us and welcome your return in the future.

Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Very clean and the front desk woman was the best. The location for what we wanted was not good but the hotel on a whole was beautiful. Very good breakfast great clean rooms, very nice staff. Free shuttle Nd our drive was awesome. Even took us on a beer and wine run for our room.

• Stayed: September 2012
Hiebaltimore, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you for the opportunity to host you and your family. We really appreciate your business and are looking forward to your return.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Just your basic Holiday Inn Express in an old bank building, so rooms are a bit smaller than usual and hallways/lobby are a bit beat up. Gym is OK. Breakfast is below the normal HIE standard. Internet didn't work in my room and some TV stations didn't come in clear. Wouldn't recommend if you're a light sleeper since it's on a busy street.

Room Tip: Internet in room 404 did not work.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Hiebaltimore, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to have you visit with us.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I drove up from NC to meet some friends from PA. We all were celebrating wedding anniversaries and going to a Red Sox / Orioles game. The location was perfect. The staff was absolutely Customer Service ready, willing and able. Service with a smile everyday. The refurbishing of the old banking establishment into this hotel is just beautiful. We would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I've had to come to Baltimore for several visits to Johns Hopkins and have found this hotel to be wonderful. The service is excellent with a very friendly and helpful staff. The location is ideal both for proximity to the hospital and to Inner Harbor for a bit of relaxation. The shuttle service is quite handy and reliable. I found the rooms to be nice, clean, and comfortable. The fact that it is a renovated bank makes it quite charming.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for the opportunity to visit with us and we look forward to your returning again.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband & I just did the weekend in Baltimore. I found this hotel on priceline. I was a little leary, reading some of the comments, but how surprised were we! They provide a nice breakfast, and they also offer a free shuttle service to anywhere within a one mile radius from the hotel. That was great, as we had dinner reservations (that was within the 1 mile) so we didn't have to worry about loosing our parking spot or drinking & driving. The rooms are a bit small but managable... free WiFi.., but overall it was great! Nice hotel for the price... and breakfast included!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I spend about 70 nights a year in hotels. So after making the reservation on Hotwire I read the reviews and like many others, was questioning my choice. How pleasantly surprised I was to find a beautiful hotel in a very convenient location. What may be unnerving to people is the hotel's proximity to the I-83 overpass which does throw shadows on the street below. There is a hotel shuttle on the hour and the Charm City Circulator - a free city shuttle bus - stops right on the side of the hotel and will take you to Johns Hopkins, Harbor East, etc. The Juvenile Justice center doesn't present any problems to hotel guests (it is a court/detention facility after all, people are on their best behavior and there are plenty of cameras and law enforcement around). There is normal, not excessive city street noise after 10 pm. I stayed on the 5th floor and had no problems with "shaking". This property has no real kitchen so take the "breakfast" with a grain of salt. The dining area was adequately sized with plenty of seating. The carry-out location across the street had good food, was reasonable and seemed to be clean. I had a rental car and came back one night around 12:30 am and found a spot in the lot. Overall I think some of the reviewers of this hotel have unrealistic standards and make their "perceptions" reality. Good value, very clean property, enjoyed my stay, would definitely stay again. Lighten up people!

Room Tip: Top floor had nice views.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to your visit.